Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Alpha Protocol is better than Mass Effect 2

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
he comes acfross as a fuckin' moronic loon

I dunno if AP if better than ME2 or not; but either way, those who like AP

depsertely

yo volourn i'm really happy for you and i'mma let you finish, but irony is the best content of your posts of all time!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Never claimed to be a good typist. Just a RPG know-it-all. Ffs

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
Never claimed to be a good typist. Just a RPG know-it-all. Ffs

you can claim whatever you want. however, you must realize you come acfross as a fuckin' moronic loon.

Jim Profit

Educated
My standards aren't high. As long as mass effect 2 and alpha protocol can atleast compare themselves to knights of the old republic, I'm sastisfied.

Not sastisfied enough to spend sixty fucking dollars. I'll wait till its 30 or get it at a fleamarket, but sastisfied.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"however, you must realize you come acfross as a fuckin' moronic loon."

Thanks for the compliment 'cause that means I still rank above you, and the Codex. R00fles!

"As long as mass effect 2 and alpha protocol can atleast compare themselves to knights of the old republic, I'm sastisfied."

L0L An overrated game? ME2 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than KOTOR, and I'm sure AP is as well.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Volourn said:
ME2 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than--

nothing. it was a little bit better than moping around the house after i broke up with my girlfriend...which is why i bought it, but not by much.

Silellak

Cipher
TwinkieGorilla said:
Volourn said:

nothing. it was a little bit better than moping around the house after i broke up with my girlfriend...which is why i bought it, but not by much. ME1, KOTOR, JE, NWN
Agreed.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Silellak said:
TwinkieGorilla said:
Volourn said:

nothing. it was a little bit better than moping around the house after i broke up with my girlfriend...which is why i bought it, but not by much. ME1, KOTOR, JE, NWN
Agreed.
Objection your honor. ME1 and KOTOR can compete with ME2.

It was definitely better than NWN OC though.

Black Cat

Magister
"Alpha Protocol is better than Mass Effect 2"

To be boiled alive or to be fried alive, which is better and why? Discuss!

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Hard to pick a side here... While ME2 was typical bioware crap improved a bit, it was fairly consistent in its' balance of dialogue and gameplay. AP is like a shitty game mixed with a pretty good one.

Ausir

Arcane
-Your possible response to Steven's wall of text ("Holy crap Steven, we're THROUGH THE ROOF!") and his subsequent message about strawberry prices or smth + Steven "assisting" you with the mounted gatling gun in the Taiwan subway station = WIN.
- The intercepted Halbech, CIA and NSA e-mails.
- The "battle" with Championchik (he brought his fists to a firefight LOL.)
- the three Triad defectors' descriptions.
- Brayko.
- Darcy's "Big gun for Mikey".

Also gelato guy. "I do not like mountains".

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Yeah, been playing it and I think ME2 is better than AP, gameplay-wise. ME2 at least never annoyed me with all kinds of cheapness.

AP is full of cheap bullshit, way too many forced firefights where the enemies that suddenly appear automatically know your location somehow even if you're hidden. Boss fights are cheap too, like Brayko. I like challenge but when a game is made difficult through pure cheapness I just toss it down. Why design so many parts of the game suited for heavy action characters when the game is supposed to support all play styles, including non-Rambo builds? They should have taken more from Deus Ex instead of trying to always throw in unavoidable bosses and big firefights just because. Level design is also much too tiny, straightforward, restricted and linear for you to put your skills and gadgets to good creative use.

Couple that in with an unpolished and jerky cover system and two of the most abysmal minigames I've ever experienced (pc hacking is the only good one) and the game is pretty awful. Seriously, why does picking the lock on an old rusty padlock on the back of a delivery truck have a time limit and why does the padlock activate the level's entire security system? wat. Just give me back my simple skill checks please, no bullshit minigames required.

Yeah, the game has a lot of c&c and good writing and characters but that means nothing if the gameplay sucks balls imo.

Uninstalled and am replaying Deus Ex. Maybe one day we'll get a proper successor to this game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Fat Dragon said:
Uninstalled and am replaying Deus Ex. Maybe one day we'll get a proper successor to this game.
Doubt it... maybe when consoles get powerful enough to support large, open maps. Or developers start regressing graphics wise. Either way, it ain't gonna happen this console generation.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I know own this game. I will be the one to determine how good or bad it is not you loser punks or shitty official reviewers. ME ALONE CAN MAKE THIS CALL.

Take that, BIATCHES.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Fat Dragon said:
Yeah, been playing it and I think ME2 is better than AP, gameplay-wise. ME2 at least never annoyed me with all kinds of cheapness.

+1.

I also think that AP suffers from inconsistent setting and boring plot.

Unistalled and planing to play some old RPG.

Silellak

Cipher
Jaedar said:
Fat Dragon said:
Doubt it... maybe when consoles get powerful enough to support large, open maps. Or developers start regressing graphics wise. Either way, it ain't gonna happen this console generation.
I don't get this argument. Plenty of open-world console games have huge "overworlds" with absolutely no loading times unless you jump across the map. It's ridiculous to imply that the modern generation of consoles couldn't handle a game with levels the size of those in Deus Ex.

Volourn said:
I know own this game. I will be the one to determine how good or bad it is not you loser punks or shitty official reviewers. ME ALONE CAN MAKE THIS CALL.

Take that, BIATCHES.
Do you have a clever "SOZZY!"-style meme in case you hate AP?

crAPy!

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
They could, it's just that designers these days are either too damn lazy or lack the skill to craft big and non linear levels like those seen in DX or Thief.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Do you have a clever "SOZZY!"-style meme in case you hate AP?

crAPy!"

No way can AP be that bad. No way in hell.

yaster

Liturgist
Silellak said:

crAPy!

ohh wait... no, it's no good. Not Volourn enough

How about:

CRapY!

see what i did there? more big cases! and ap is small ones to show it is even below cr... ohh wait whatever nevermind :oops:

Felix

Arcane
AP better than Mass blue boxes Effect2 because I can knock the guy down and storm him to death, and no obstrusive blue boxes.

ME2 sucks blue balls, period.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Silellak said:
Jaedar said:
Fat Dragon said:
I don't get this argument. Plenty of open-world console games have huge "overworlds" with absolutely no loading times unless you jump across the map. It's ridiculous to imply that the modern generation of consoles couldn't handle a game with levels the size of those in Deus Ex.
Yeah, but an overworld isn't the same thing as an open level. The reason why corridor level design is so useful is that it makes it incredibly easy to stream the content, you need only ever load/render 3 "rooms" at a time. An overworld usually has relatively low detail and low AI count. That's what I gather anyway.

And remember the difference between PC and PS version of DX.... and IW.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Black Cat said:
"Alpha Protocol is better than Mass Effect 2"

To be boiled alive or to be fried alive, which is better and why? Discuss!

Fried alive, since frying oil got the higher temperature, chances are higher that you pass out earlier.
Also smells better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom