Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zero Punctuation Reviews "Alpha Protocol"

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Note how ME2 "suddenly" became an inferior game when AP came out
Kinda like how your old favs NWN and Fahrenheit suddenly became shit to you when you discovered the Codex, eh?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO NOT FARE THAT WAS A GENUINOIE CHANGE OF OPINION BECAUSE HE NEEDED TO BE ANTI MAIONSTREAM THAT DOESNT COUNT AS DOING WHAT EVERONE EOLSE SAYS

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fat Dragon said:
MetalCraze said:
Kinda like how your old favs NWN and Fahrenheit suddenly became shit to you when you discovered the Codex, eh?

2 games over years is a bit different than changing views on every major game every month, don't you think?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO WAY TO KEEP THE ONLINE PERSONA KEEP IT UP BRO

Jim Cojones

Prophet
MetalCraze said:
Fat Dragon said:
MetalCraze said:
2 games over years is a bit different than changing views on every major game every month, don't you think?
What about your record flip-flop after you heard from other Codexers that praising BG's combat isn't kool?

"Baldur's Gate is good as long as you expect some tactical dnd combat and outstanding art direction. and as long as you don't expect any roleplaying miracles from it."

"I hate all this "new-school" real-time combat, especially in the aurora-engine games where it's basically a twitch-gaming"

Time difference between the above quotes? 13 days...

MetalCraze

Arcane
BG uses aurora engine? I didn't know.
What's more funnier is how you cut the part where I say that BG1/2 has OK combat from the very same sentence.

because seriously I hate all this "new-school" real-time combat, especially in the aurora-engine games where it's basically a twitch-gaming, combat in BG1/2 was bearable however

Where is the flip flop?

gothfox

Liturgist
20100617-093617_aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
MetalCraze said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
retarded minigames - they always sucked. but now -in alphaturd - they're actually pretty cool.

Because liking Alpha Protocol is a cool thing at the Codex right now. And as there nothing good about it, stupid shit like minigames is getting praised. Pathetic isn't it?

Heh, fuck that. You and your shitty obvious views are the cool thing on the codex. You should be proud of yourself. Unfortunately fads are always retarded, as you probably know already, but keep on the good work

1eyedking

Erudite
Yahtzee lurks RPG Codex. I no longer have doubts about it.

Because it's that, or the Codex has become so stupid that even people outside of it can tell when a game has flavor C&C.

Silellak

Cipher
You know, I think I figured skyway out. In the same way he views games as either "shit" or "not shit", he views the entire Codex as either "skyway" or "not skyway".

So, when anyone "not skyway" expresses a view like "ME2 is fun" or "I enjoyed AP", he views it as the entire Codex praising those games - which leads to his barely-contained rage at this vague "Codex" entity he despises so.

It's the best way to explain his avoidance the fact that the only poll related to AP on the Codex has the shit:not-shit ratio squarely at 50/50:

CodexAPPoll.JPG

Now, obviously this poll is incredibly unscientific, and tainted by the use of the word "buy" vs. the word "play" in the title. Even accounting for that, it's still a better judge of the Codex's overall opinion of AP than skyway's tactic of "some people in various threads mentioned enjoying it, so THE ENTIRE CODEX IS NOW SUCKING OBSIDIAN'S COCK"

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
uh no yes has one more vote therefore it is officially codex-approved despite being dumb popamole buggy shit not an rpg full of minigames banal shit boring sucking obsidian cock apologistcodex not like it was two years ago where we had interesting debates and intelligent people with good opinions now codex thinks there is no genre except console shooters add kids alternately loving da/fallout 3 and loving obsidian games even when they are like fo3 and da which they hate as it suits my purposes

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mangoose said:
ME2 > AP in most aspects (writing, gameplay)
erh, no.
the only thing me2 holds over ap is custom character creation and more content. gameplay in ap is better and more varied, and as far as writing goes both have retarded stories but ap has the better characters and way better conversations.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
SuicideBunny said:
Mangoose said:
ME2 > AP in most aspects (writing, gameplay)
erh, no.
the only thing me2 holds over ap is custom character creation and more content. gameplay in ap is better and more varied, and as far as writing goes both have retarded stories but ap has the better characters and way better conversations.
Apparently you didn't play any of the ME2 sidequests.

AP's gameplay had more potential and would be better had the AI been better, skills and difficulty more balanced, everything else more polished. But ME2's is better in end implementation.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Sidequests in ME2 weren't really interesting, and the main plot was simply retarded, though.

It also didn't help that you couldn't really import your character. Why is Shepard the only hope for the universe if he's back to level 1?

Mass Effect has never really made sense with a low-level character. It was much more fun playing on insanity with a high level character. Starting all over in ME2 and not even getting to level 30 made me feel like Shepard was still a pussy and was somehow the savior of the universe regardless.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mangoose said:
Black said:
Mangoose said:
[Apparently you didn't play any of the ME2 sidequests.
Care to elaborate?
Only that they were decently written (nothing spectacular, mind you), better than the main quest.

WAT? Can you define what you are calling "Side Quest"? Are you including the companion ones or?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Only good companion quests were the ones for Samara and Mordin anyway.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Jaesun said:
Mangoose said:
Black said:
Mangoose said:
[Apparently you didn't play any of the ME2 sidequests.
Care to elaborate?
Only that they were decently written (nothing spectacular, mind you), better than the main quest.

WAT? Can you define what you are calling "Side Quest"? Are you including the companion ones or?
Hm. Yeah, that's what I meant. I actually didn't mean the retardo planet exploration ones, I forgot about those/never did them.

Mind you I'm also only talking about the writing, as most of the companion quests did have lots of stupid combat. Besides Samara and Mordin, the other decently written ones: Legion (I think his mission is where you find out there are two camps of Geth), Jacob, Jack (both Jacob and Jack have atmosphere lending some mystery).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom