Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Getting Stuff for Elemental: War of Magic

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Update ]</strong>

Brad Wardell has some stuff and he wants to <a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/01/elemental-war-of-magic-will-have-the-best-drm/" target="_blank">give it to you</a>.<blockquote>Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock, recently told PC Gamer what sort of DRM he has planned for his upcoming turn based strategy-cum-RPG Elemental: War of Magic. His plan is simple: &ldquo;What I think would be helpful against piracy is if you actually gave users stuff.&rdquo; The limited edition boxed set of the game will be full of undownloadable trinkets.

It&rsquo;ll contain a map, pewter dragon, a poster, and the Hiergemenon &ndash; the game&rsquo;s encyclopedia, in book form. Brad calls it &ldquo;Half D&D monster manual and half lore book.&rdquo; It&rsquo;s got maps and artwork, race profiles, short stories, and a detailed breakdown of the game&rsquo;s universe.
</blockquote>Sounds completely gay. I'll probably buy it.

Speaking of Mr. Wardell and his stuff, he has a <a href="http://frogboy.joeuser.com/article/385885/Elemental_Beta_3_Walkthru" target="_blank">walkthrough</a> of what to expect in Beta 3.
<blockquote>Elemental comes with two ideologies. Kingdom and Empire.  These determine the 5 categories available to that race.  The reason we separated this is for future replayability.  We would like to make it so that your custom race has a DIFFERENT technology based on their ideology.  That is, you end up with two potentially different technology trees for each race which in the long-run could result in a lot of great combinations.</blockquote>

Gondolin

Arcane
Tactical battles. Internally they’ve been functioning for months but there’s working and there’s polished and so we’re still working on that aspect.

Here’s how they work:

- It is turn-based (we originally implemented this as a quasi-RTS system of continuous turns but it was such a different game experience that we ripped it out. If I want to play an RTS, I’ll play Starcraft 2).

:salute:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
God fucking dammit, this shit is starting to sound extremely awesome. Still, most Stardock games sounded great on paper but ended up being a little bit dry and soulless. Hope they'll really deliver with this one.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Now the only thing remains is if that game will not suck. Considering his history with a GC2 combat system, it doesn't look thatnice.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wow, I'm totally buying into the hype. I'm even considering buying this one without playing a demo first because I like the direction it is going even if the implementation might not be all that good in the end.
The last time I did that it was the the Witcher, which I never finished because of boring story, respawning enemies and mediocre gameplay. And TW blazed the trail for the current popamole "but it has C&C" crap...
Hmm, OK. I'll demo first.

Honestly, if it's anything reasonable, say 80 or less for the package with the extra goodies, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. I really liked GCII, although I've never played MoO2 which it is often considered inferior to, but they really do seem like a good developer/publisher. And they know their market, and don't try to make a huge blockbuster with every release.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock, recently told PC Gamer what sort of DRM he has planned for his upcoming turn based strategy-cum-RPG Elemental: War of Magic. His plan is simple: “What I think would be helpful against piracy is if you actually gave users stuff.” The limited edition boxed set of the game will be full of undownloadable trinkets.

It’ll contain a map, pewter dragon, a poster, and the Hiergemenon – the game’s encyclopedia, in book form. Brad calls it “Half D&D monster manual and half lore book.” It’s got maps and artwork, race profiles, short stories, and a detailed breakdown of the game’s universe.

This is a form of piracy protection that works against me.

Not only that the game sounds really good, it'll be actually worth to buy the boxed version. Sold.

Ashery

Prophet
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Honestly, if it's anything reasonable, say 80 or less for the package with the extra goodies, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. I really liked GCII, although I've never played MoO2 which it is often considered inferior to, but they really do seem like a good developer/publisher. And they know their market, and don't try to make a huge blockbuster with every release.

LE is 70$ + shipping, standard boxed version (includes a digital download) is 50$ + shipping.

Seboss

Liturgist
Played the betas and... I won't hold my breath if I were you guys.
The game is supposed to be out the 24th of August so we'll find out soon enough I guess, but I hope they'll push it back to February, unless they got all the interesting content under wraps. In its current state, the game just doesn't live up to its legacy.

Shuma

Scholar
So far I agree, seboss. I don't think there's any way that big of a delay can happen, but right now, gameplay is not compelling at all.

Hopefully they got some tricks up their sleeve.

Seboss

Liturgist
I certainly hope so. I have a hard time believing how they can have a marketable game in that timeframe.
The game is a mess, all systems fall short, the tactical battles our codex friends are so excited about are a bad joke and pretty much all the features that got me interested in the first place where either cut out or scaled down to a point they just don't matter anymore. But heh, it's just a beta after all.
I understand they had to make concessions but they made some really bad calls imo. I guess that's the typical case of small time devs that have bitten more that they could chew...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Crap. Well, might still get the collectors edition in August to support them and hey, they have kept patching GC2 for ages so even if it's broken on release, it'll eventually be playable.

If I'm a Paradox-bitch already, I can bend over for Stardock too, I guess.

Disconnected

Scholar
Ashery said:
LE is 70$ + shipping, standard boxed version (includes a digital download) is 50$ + shipping.

Seriously? I'm pretty sure I paid 35$US for the not-so-special edition, and upgrading was 20$US last I checked (but then, shipping was something like 55$US, so unless that pewter dragon gives blowjobs I won't be getting it).

Ashery

Prophet
Disconnected said:
Ashery said:

Seriously? I'm pretty sure I paid 35$US for the not-so-special edition, and upgrading was 20$US last I checked (but then, shipping was something like 55$US, so unless that pewter dragon gives blowjobs I won't be getting it).

Bought mine off Impulse and paid 50$ for the standard edition...

Haven't been playing the beta much as the last time I played the game just wasn't fleshed out enough.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trash said:
God fucking dammit, this shit is starting to sound extremely awesome. Still, most Stardock games sounded great on paper but ended up being a little bit dry and soulless. Hope they'll really deliver with this one.

That's right.
But this sounds like the best DRM ever - the problem is I doubt we will get this over here, not just jewel box edition.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Shannow said:
Wow, I'm totally buying into the hype. I'm even considering buying this one without playing a demo first because I like the direction it is going even if the implementation might not be all that good in the end.
The last time I did that it was the the Witcher, which I never finished because of boring story, respawning enemies and mediocre gameplay. And TW blazed the trail for the current popamole "but it has C&C" crap...
Hmm, OK. I'll demo first.

Faggot. TW was predated by KOTOR 1 and 2, Jade Empire, NWN2, Oblivion as 'popamole shit' as you put it.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
commie said:
TW was predated by KOTOR 1 and 2, Jade Empire, NWN2, Oblivion as 'popamole shit' as you put it.

No. Though KOTOR 1 and 2, as well as NWN 2 had a bad combat system, it was RTWP, which is, although bad, still a few notches above the button masher for retards present in the Witcher and Oblivion. Additionally, character systems in those three games were, unlike the Witcher's, full RPG character systems. Retarded dialogue puts Oblivion in a league of its own, so the Twitcher doesn't bear that much resemblence to the games you mentioned. It belongs into the real popamole category, with Ass Effect and Protocol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom