Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan's 'Distant Worlds' Review!

Panthera

Scholar
10/10

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Are SE3/4 a lot better than 5?

The Barbarian believes so. In the cockles of his heart. SEIV is the best of them. He knows that there remain a great many mods for SEIV, whereas SEV was the death of the community.

Many tears were shed.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Every 4X game must be turn-based. Real-time where half of a year passes in one minute is never good for thinking and plotting stuff, let alone coordinating 20+ armies/caravans/whatever at the same time. And you also need to build, research, develop new technologies.
It may work for Paradox games because they are global strategies which are focused only on one thing (Victoria - economics, HoI - warmachine, etc). It doesn't work for 4Xs where you need to keep track of everything and micromanage every single town out of 40-50 you have after the midgame - that's among aforementioned examples.

Destroid

Arcane
Turn based strategic mode in MoO2 can actually be pretty annoying at times - such as when you opponents ships travel so fast that they can reach your planets and assault before you have a chance to do anything about it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Annonchinil said:
Is the space combat good?

Nothing special, but better than the passive "send ships and hope you win" of GalCiv2 and other 4x with automatic battle calculations.

Destroid

Arcane
The combat system in GalCiv2 was utterly retarded.

Three different weapons with specific defences against them, all of which have completely seperate and mostly linear tech trees.

The off colour defences contribute, at something like square root power or so, I can't recall the exact amount.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
MetalCraze said:
Every 4X game must be turn-based. Real-time where half of a year passes in one minute is never good for thinking and plotting stuff,
Slowing down time to 1:1 is sufficient. Also pause, and autopause works wonders.

You might like to try IG2, on hard.

dragonfk

Erudite
It sure got quiet about the game. After only 3 weeks since launch. That does not bode well.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
The game has been updated to a playable state with the 1.0.6 patch. There is now challenge in games, balance, and UI improvements; so check it out.

lightbane

Arcane
So, after the latest patch (1.6 I think) plus the expansion, is finally this game playable? Has anyone checked if there are less game-breaking bugs? Should I bother to get it or not? Is this game good for a newcomer to the genre?

DakaSha

Arcane
dont get it.. people will flame me for saying it prob but IMO it is still a piece of fucking sadly designed and (STILL) buggy shit

just read the tech support forums. People still get crashes after 5 hours of playing that cant be resolved.

Dont know about the expansion though.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
DakaSha said:
dont get it.. people will flame me for saying it prob but IMO it is still a piece of fucking sadly designed and (STILL) buggy shit
Yes. It has glaring flaws and they lack of knowledge and talent to make a believably looking and interesting content. I consider Armada 2526, after 1.4 patch, as a better game.

Perhaps they would get it more right after patch 1.8, but so far its uninspired game that looks like someone throw several stuff together, and thought it would work.

Rina

Scholar
What are the chances that I would enjoy this, if I absolutely hate RTS games with a passion, but love Master of Orion 2 and Sword of the Stars?

Disconnected

Scholar
Rina said:
What are the chances that I would enjoy this, if I absolutely hate RTS games with a passion, but love Master of Orion 2 and Sword of the Stars?

Based on your love of MoO you will most likely appreciate DWs setting/fluff greatly. But other than that, DW is very unlike your stated preferences, so the answer would have to be: indeterminable.

In a lot of ways, DW is the weirdly loveable, illegitimate & severely mutated offspring of Sim Earth, Theme Hospital and Europa Universalis. And if you like any two of those games, I'm pretty sure you'll like DW too.

DW isn't much of a strategy game. Yes, the match creation tools are sufficiently flexible that you can create a match you cannot win. But DW is all about what happens when multiple AI civilizations are let loose in a massive sandbox, to compete and cooperate as they will - and as you can make them, through manipulating the one civilization you have some degree of control over (you cannot have complete control).

If the anthill science project aspect sounds appealing, you should absolutely get it. DW is both an insanely rare breed of game, and a pretty well-crafted (bugs notwithstanding - it has a massive amount of moving parts and very few testers & fixers) and very charming one.

But if you're looking for Grand Strategy or 4X fix in the more traditional sense, DW is the wrong place to look.

Rina

Scholar
Disconnected said:
But if you're looking for Grand Strategy or 4X fix in the more traditional sense, DW is the wrong place to look.

Thanks for the answer, much appreciated. :)
Perhaps I'll give it a try someday, if the price ever goes down a bit, but for now I'll pass and keep waiting for SotS II.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom