Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some fresh New Vegas intel from PAX

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The 9mm Sub Machine Gun has the appearance of a miniature WWII "Grease Gun".
I found a new drug. Its called Turbo and its effect is +1 Turbo (whatever that means). This is a strange item, as the only effects I noticed was blurred edges of the screen and it wears off after about 10 seconds. I might have to take a second look at it tomorrow.
Another drug. I believe is is brewed using the Survival skill and is called Antivenom. It cures animal poison effects and it certainly worked when I played against a radscopion that stabbed me.
Cram is back
A scoped Varmint Rifle with silencer looks bad***
Mutants have a more greenish hue compared to the FO3 mutants.
Description for Survival skill: The Survival skill increases the Hit Points you receive from food and drink. It also helps you create consumable items at campfires.
In an unrelated note, Duke Nukem Forever was there with a line that stretched all the way to Canada.
You can pick a plant called "White Horse Nettle"
The amount of NCR dollars you have are divided by which bill it is. For example, you can have 8 $25 NCR, 2 $50 NCR, and 1 $100 NCR at the same time.
Face Wraps are in
Enemies can have bullet casings on their dead bodies.
Ferals Ghouls look very similar in appearance to how the looked in FO3.
White Horsenettle (a consumable from the plant above) grants END -1, HP +1(5s), AGL-1. This is very much subject to change as the base survival skill was 19 (which directly affects the stats of food) and I believe that it was in hardcore mode.

And finally, here is all of the ammo types that the developer gave the player in the demo:
.22LR Round
.22LR. Plinking
.308 Round
.357 Magnum Round
.44 Magnum Round
.45-70 Gov't
.50 MG
10mm Round
12 Gauge Round
25mm Grenade
40mm Grenade
5.56 Round
5mm Round
9mm Round
Alien Power Cell
BBs
Electron Charge Pack
Energy Cell
Flamer Fuel
Microfusion Cell
Missle

Mole Rats can be domesticated. I met a little rascal named Snuffles.

Deathclaws are identical to FO3 Deathclaws

There are a lot more ammo types then I listed previously. I went to a workbench and saw that you can craft anything from Hollow Point .44 Magnum ammunition to Overcharged Microfusion Cells.

New weapon: Boxing Tape. Just a simple unarmed weapon that stuns enemies.

New weapon: Silenced .22 Pistol. Looked exactly like a white Nambu and was pretty weak on armored enemies. EDIT: It looked like a white Ruger. Thanks .46ACP!

New weapon: Time Bomb. I saw it as an option to craft and does 30 damage (with my low explosive skill) but I'm not exactly sure what it is.

New weapon: Single Shotgun. Self explanatory as it only holds one shot.

New Drug: Fixer. Temporarily removes addiction to a drug.

Bottlecap Mines are back.

New Drug: Rebound. The only thing the description listed was "Regenerates AP". I'm not sure if it completely refills the meter or makes your AP regenerative while its active. Didn't get to check as my turn was up.

Super Stimpacks are back.

The player's inventory on demo start up is as follows:
.357 Magnum Revolver
9 Iron
9mm Pistol
9mm Submachine Gun
Assault Carbine
Boxing Gloves
Caravan Shotgun
Cowboy Repeater
Dynamite
Grenade Machinegun
Police Baton
Varmint Rifle

And probably thing that surprised me the most is what I took a snapshot of on the General section (shows how many quests you did, how many guys you killed, etc.). Here is what I took a picture of:

Corpes Eaten
Mysterious Stranger Visits ( :celebration: )
Doctor Bags Used
Challenges Completed
Miss Fortunate Occurrences (New Perk? Special Random Encounters? Who knows!)
Disintegrations
Have Limbs Crippled
Speech Failures
Items Crafted
Weapon Modifications

New Magazine: Lad's Life. Depicting a boy sitting at a campfire, this magazine grants +10 Survival
I saw someone collect a Sunset Sarsaparilla Bottle Cap. Whether or not this is a separate currency remains to be seen. EDIT: It isn't
New Faction: Jackal Gang. A person playing stumbled into a group of female gang members. They have the large spike hairdo (forgot the name), wore Merc Charmer armor, and each member carried a 10mm Pistol, which leads me to suspect that the pistol is not as rare as i once thought.
You can buy blackjack/caravan cards at some (less then refutable) vendors and supposedly cheat at the games.
New Weapon: Cleaver.
New Weapon: Straight Razor. For when you want to pretend you're Sweeney Todd.
New Drug: Steady. It decreases the weapon spread while it's active. Ironically, the picture is blurred because I couldn't keep my phone steady.
Final Skill list:
Barter
Energy Weapons
Explosives
Guns
Lockpick (I tried picking a lock, exact same minigame as FO3)
Medicine
Melee Weapons
Repair
Science
Sneak
Speech
Survival
Unarmed

I also caught a near complete screen shot of the tutorial of the different ammo types:
Armor Piercing: Ignores a large portion of the enemy's Damage Threshold, does slightly more damage.
Hollow Point: Does much more damage but is easily blocked by armor.
Over Charge: Used by Energy Weapons, increases damage but degrades the weapon more quickly.
Slug: Used by shotguns, slugs replace buckshot with a single, powerful bullet that is more accurate.

UPDATE: PAX has drawn to an end, but I (somehow) got to play a full hour. So get ready, I got a lot more details to throw at you. :celebration:

First things first, Fixer, from my first thread, actually is a "Temporary Addiction Removal" drug.
New Weapon: Long Fuse Dynamite. When 4 seconds is not enough
Gatling Laser is back.
Ants are back, but without fire breathing abilities.
Centaurs are back.
New Misc Item: Duct Tape. Hey, its still new so why not post it.
The Rad Resistance perk still gives a 25% resistance.
Hacking is the same as in FO3.
New Enemy: Mole Rat Pup. It was chewing off my leg and I still thought it was adorable.
NCR members can drop Dog Tags, similar to the BoS in Fallout 3.
Leather Armor, according to the Vault Boy picture, is long sleeved.
Night Vision Confirmed.
Binoculars, found in Primm, weigh 1.5 pounds and is found in the weapon slot. Offers a little amount of zoom, but still useful.
Golden Geckoes are scary.
New Location: Crescent Canyon (and technically Crescent Canyon East). A scary place in the nighttime, this canyon houses boats, radiation, and Golden Geckoes, oh my!
This game will be a lot more dynamic, as on one part of my trek, I noticed to ants feasting on the carcass of a radscorpion.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Survival skill sounds pretty underwhelming if that is indeed all that it does... Drug names could be better, but eh, Better Living Through Chems hopefully will be made for NV as well so that'll get fixed.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Thanks for the list.

I'm sure I'm saying what everyone else is thinking. A list of features doesn't give an accurate depiction of how terrible this game will be.

I'm predicuting more juvenile and illogical storytelling, with the already confirmed ugly art direction and terrible animation.

Why does the only company making the type of game that I dream of liking have to be so bad at it?

Silellak

Cipher
vazquez595654 said:
Why does the only company making the type of game that I dream of liking have to be so bad at it?
obsidian_logo_poorly.jpg

Exmit

Scholar
this game will be better then Fallout 3 for sure

that's all i'm saying for now.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, I kinda liked Fallout 3, with the complete retardation and copypaste dungeons being the worst part of it. If it's less retarded than FO3 (which is very likely since they'd have to try really, really hard to be as retarded or, heck, even more retarded) and has better level design, I'll be happy.

denizsi

Arcane
I found a new drug. Its called Turbo and its effect is +1 Turbo (whatever that means). This is a strange item, as the only effects I noticed was blurred edges of the screen and it wears off after about 10 seconds. I might have to take a second look at it tomorrow.

I hate stuff like that. Gimmicky visuals. Stats like Perception should have affected whether you can see a NPC in your LOS at all, provided he's either in the dark or camouflaged and or hiding or sneaking plus perception-altering stuff like drugs. Maybe the NPCs should fade in and out of your plain sight based on what the drug does to your perceptive abilities, instead of just adding a gimmick visual?

zeitgeist

Magister
vazquez595654 said:
If most other companies aren't doing it, they really don't have to be that good at it to still get as much praise and fan-induced hype as they'd get if they were the best while actually having competition. This is the fate of quite a few niche genres.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Just in case anyone's curious about the approximate size of the world map:

That's Goodsprings in the corner there
baodlaacn.jpg

The map has pins on locations that are currently known ( http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_places ) to be in the game
baodoaacn.jpg

So that would put Goodsprings in the center of the left edge of the map. Of course the distances won't be same in-game but it should give some idea.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah I know the majority (ie. console players) wouldn't like it, but I would've preferred FO3's map to be larger, but with the same amount of map hotspots. Even if you disabled the popamole compass you always had something just around the corner to check out - a wasteland doesn't have to be like that, it's ok to have emptiness in-between the interesting locations.

Radisshu

Prophet
Turisas said:
Yeah I know the majority (ie. console players) wouldn't like it, but I would've preferred FO3's map to be larger, but with the same amount of map hotspots. Even if you disabled the popamole compass you always had something just around the corner to check out - a wasteland doesn't have to be like that, it's ok to have emptiness in-between the interesting locations.

Yeah. The world in Shadow of the Colossus was probably smaller, but what's interesting is that there was virtually nothing to do besides finding the various Colossi, and killing them, and hunting silver-tailed lizards - yet it didn't feel empty in a bad way, at all.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
JarlFrank said:
Eh, I kinda liked Fallout 3, with the complete retardation and copypaste dungeons being the worst part of it.

Honey, that is only the tip of the gigantic iceberg of why Fallout 3 is pure shit.

deuxhero

Arcane
Turisas said:

baodlaacn.jpg

The map has pins on locations that are currently known ( http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_places ) to be in the game
baodoaacn.jpg

So that would put Goodsprings in the center of the left edge of the map. Of course the distances won't be same in-game but it should give some idea.

Are you the maker of that image? You may want to upload it and place it on the wikia page you linked to.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Doubt many would be that interested; like I said it's just a rough approximation since the in-game map will no doubt alter some distances and maybe even shift the locations a bit for a more balanced map.

Kinda surprised really the real world map hasn't been leaked anywhere yet; you'd think someone would've thought of nabbing a pic or video clip of it at PAX.

.Sigurd

Educated
Turisas said:
Fun fact:
In the original project the urban area of D.C filled half of the map.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Turisas said:
Doubt many would be that interested; like I said it's just a rough approximation since the in-game map will no doubt alter some distances and maybe even shift the locations a bit for a more balanced map.

Kinda surprised really the real world map hasn't been leaked anywhere yet; you'd think someone would've thought of nabbing a pic or video clip of it at PAX.

Maybe if they provided a car or bike or somethin, walking through the wasteland was boring enough as is

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd rather have proper fast-travel like Fallout 1 and 2 and Arcanum instead of fast travel just being a teleport spell for already discovered places.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
JarlFrank said:
I'd rather have proper fast-travel like Fallout 1 and 2 and Arcanum instead of fast travel just being a teleport spell for already discovered places.

Bingo. All the coherence, none of the trouble.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Turisas said:

baodlaacn.jpg

baodoaacn.jpg

Lame bayimg down at the moment, but looks like my estimate was pretty spot-on:

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j46 ... ide004.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom