Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larpingdude17's Game of the Month - Recettear

YourDaddy

Educated
Well bitches, just grow up and learn to ignore shitty Japanese 'art' style and pedo girl talking. There's actual fun game underneath it in this case. Two games, actually - both are RPG and both are good - in fun+difficulty+choices way.
Yes, I'm right.

tetsuo

Scholar
I agree its a fun little game i had more fun with it then with all latest rpg releases combined.

larpingdude18

Educated
fireworkANIMATED.gif
fireworkANIMATED.gif

fireworkANIMATED.gif
fireworkANIMATED.gif

:salute:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Right, I need to know this: does anyone find the dungeon-crawling in this game remotely fun?

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I would have liked it if there were secret areas (or similar) you could find, since the combat is obviously very, very simple. So no.

The sad thing about this is that the game could have been awesome. Fagging on about the art aside,* the basic idea is sound and Elite proved that profiteering can be fun, but when it comes down to it there's just not enough stuff to make things interesting. I mean, more characters, more (bigger & interesting) dungeons, more variables affecting who comes into your shop and what they buy, diddly diddly dee

* the only decent art style is wireframe

Eyeball

Arcane
I pretty much agree with the above - that being said, I still think Racettear is an amusing little game. Not world-altering in any way, but cute, fun and with more depth than you'd think initially. And it's a fun concept to build a game around, too - all RPGs have stores selling magical items coming from seemingly nowhere. Racettear explains it. Reminds me a bit of Dungeon Keeper in that it takes an established mythology and then approaches it from a completely different angle, playing a role you wouldn't normally expect to find in a video game.

I don't like the deadline function, though - the final deadline revolves around making 500.000$ in a week, and I have no goddamn way of seeing how I can manage this, seeing as the stuff I get in the dungeon is worth about 1500$ apiece and I can't figure out how to open the 4th dungeon for the real phat lewts. And if you miss the deadline, all that happens is that you get bumped back to day 1 with your inventory and levels intact but only 1000$, meaning you gotta grind through all the days up to your failure AGAIN. Coulda been handled better.

I'd also have liked for some kind of more elaborate "artifact manufacture" feature - the one in-game is a bit too simplistic and not even all that profitable to mess around with.

I feel that I've had my 20 bucks woth of fun from this game, which is more than can be said for a lot of big commercial releases.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom