Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What the FAQ?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p>Eurogamer had a chat with <span class="whoistalking">Pawel Dembowski, better known as Ausir around these parts, and the topic at hand is <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki" target="_blank"><strong>The Vault</strong></a>.</span></p>
<p><span class="whoistalking">Let's see what Ausir had to say:</span></p>
<blockquote>
<p class="interviewQuestion"><strong><span class="whoistalking">Eurogamer</span>: Was the Duck and Cover project a wiki, as well?</strong></p>
<p class="interviewAnswer"><span class="whoistalking">Pawel Dembowski</span>: It was a wiki from the beginning, although it goes back to the Fallout Bible, which was a guide to the Fallout lore by Chris Avellone, one of the Fallout 2, and now Fallout: New Vegas, designers.</p>
<p>The Fallout Bible was never finished because Avellone left Interplay. So the wiki's purpose was, to an extent, to continue the work. [And] also to document all Fallout lore in the hope that it would be helpful to Bethesda when creating Fallout 3.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>A noble cause.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-09-what-the-faq-article?page=4">Read the rest here</a>.</p>
<p> </p>

Jason

chasing a bee
Eurogamer: Do you think it was?

Pawel Dembowski: I know it was.

Eurogamer: They've told you as much?

Pawel Dembowski: Yes, and it's actually evident from some in-game content. One funny example is one of the terminals in the Citadel in Fallout 3, detailing the history of the Maxson family, the leaders of the Brotherhood of Steel. There are entries for Roger Maxson, the founder of BOS, his son Maxson II and his grandson John Maxson.

The thing is, Maxson II was what I called the guy in The Vault because there was no canonical first name given for him anywhere in the games. Instead of giving him an actual name, the devs simply copied the name of the article - "Maxson II" - assuming that it's canon.
And that's how Ausir missed the golden opportunity to insert Volourn Honourblade Maxson into the Fallout universe.

Sick Bum

Novice
I feel pathetic to even respond to a news item about an article about what amounts to some loser's fan blog, but it really gets me is how seriously this guys takes himself. I am the guardian of the holy canon of fallout! Because of me fallout 3 was a good un, because people list to me! I'm important! Listen to me...! Time to go outside for a few minutes fella.

Ausir

Arcane
Jason said:
And that's how Ausir missed the golden opportunity to insert Volourn Honourblade Maxson into the Fallout universe.

How about Ian Miles Maxson Wen Xian?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sick Bum said:
I feel pathetic to even respond to a news item about an article about what amounts to some loser's fan blog, but it really gets me is how seriously this guys takes himself. I am the guardian of the holy canon of fallout! Because of me fallout 3 was a good un, because people list to me! I'm important! Listen to me...! Time to go outside for a few minutes fella.

Nah, Ausir is coo', dude. Chillax, bro. Everythin's gonna be awright, friend.

The thing is, Maxson II was what I called the guy in The Vault because there was no canonical first name given for him anywhere in the games. Instead of giving him an actual name, the devs simply copied the name of the article - "Maxson II" - assuming that it's canon.

That, or they just did the same thing as Ausir.

Ausir

Arcane
Well, it would be quite a coincidence, especially given that the terminal entries were very similar to The Vault articles about these characters. They looked like they took these and just paraphrased them a bit.

Sick Bum

Novice
Grunker said:
Sick Bum said:

Nah, Ausir is coo', dude. Chillax, bro. Everythin's gonna be awright, friend.

I had too much coffee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom