Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview DS2 is da bomb says Chris Taylor

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Well, like SolInvictus, I'm cautious but hopeful, and not totally averse to getting the game. There isn't a lot to choose at the moment, and it does sound like they've fixed some of the over-automation of the original (which became a snore-fest).

I don't think its going to be a top-tier classic, but it might be a passable time-waster until the next uber-rpg (i.e. when Hell freezes over if the average opinion on this board is anything to go by).

Spazmo

Erudite
Ap_Jolly said:
There never was any confusion. Whenever Chris Taylor is mentioned in the same text with strategy games, you know it's talking about GPG Chris, not Fallout's Chris.

Not really. ChrisT worked on Battle for Middle Earth, IIRC.

Gromnir

Liturgist
"I personally hang out with the DS crowd, and I can tell you that folks who liked DS1 are unhappy with the way GPG treats its modders "

*chuckle*

anybody wanna guess 'bout the % of folks who bought ds1 who gives half a fart 'bout modders?

HA! Good Fun!

merry andrew

Erudite
Chris Taylor said:
You just have to kill every damn thing. And why would one person be motivated to do that unless someone evil has pissed you off and you have to kill everything. We toyed with the idea of having your enemy be the 'good' guy, but that just confused people.
LOLomfgroflmao

So tempted to make that a signature.

Saran

Scholar
Gromnir said:
the original ds did ok... so ok that they is making a ds movie. you think that maybe, just maybe, chris is trying to sell ds2 to fans o' ds1? make ds2 for folks who hated ds1 or for folks that liked ds1? folks who liked ds1 were happy with the diabloesque model, but they wanted maybe a little more story... so that is what chris is telling them they is gonna get.

Thats pretty much me, i dont have a problem with shitty combat as long as the storyline "Pays off".

When i bought Ds there was pretty much nothing else on the market (Mainstream, Ive only really found out about the quality of Indie CRPGS once i started visiting this place regularly), so when i read a review that could be summed up best as "Decent game, a bit simplistic, fantastic interface (At the time.), a great way to pass the time." i bought it, and while i wouldnt call it a good game, it was decent enough, no replayability, the combat gets a bit repetatitive after a while, but for the most part i thought it was alright.

The problem with DS was that its story never really grabbed you by the balls, there was no reason to press on with the game, and while i finished the main campaign, the expansion was depressingly boring, if, as i mentioned in another thread, they have crafted some sort of a decent story for this game, surely it cant be that bad, but i suppose it depends upon what your looking for, personally i look for good games, if i was looking for nothing but good CRPGS, well, then id be fucked.

DS2 will (hopefully) be a good game, but i dont think anyone is fooling themselves into thinking that its a good CRPG, that is if you define good CRPGs as games with stats that have a major effect on the game world (e.g: Low INT= less dialog options) , dialog that affects the willingness of certain NPC's to give you a quest (e.g:NPC1:"What do you like to do in your spare time?" PC:"I like to rape, murder and drink the blood of babys, wheres the elf women at?" NPC1:"......") or how friendly various factions are and multiple ways to do quests.

EDIT:
Ap_Jolly said:
Yes. But who even played BfME? :)

I did, it was better than War of the Ring atleast. (And it was shiny, so very,very, shiny. :lol: )

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Gromnir said:
"I personally hang out with the DS crowd, and I can tell you that folks who liked DS1 are unhappy with the way GPG treats its modders "

*chuckle*

anybody wanna guess 'bout the % of folks who bought ds1 who gives half a fart 'bout modders?

HA! Good Fun!

Idiot. Most of the people still playing DS only do so because of the mods. The original game and its little expansion pack have long since lost their value.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Sol Invictus said:
Gromnir said:

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

Idiot. Most of the people still playing DS only do so because of the mods. The original game and its little expansion pack have long since lost their value.

and how many of you is still playing ds compared to numbers that actually purchased? what an arse. 'cause rex mods ds he thinks most folks is interested in modding? for chrissakes, a prime nwn selling point were s'posed to be the toolset and even bio numbers suggest that less than 10% ever played a fan-made mod.

did rex's mommie let him go outside w/o a helmet again?

HA! Good Fun!

Sol Invictus said:
Chris Taylor is awesome. You guys are fucking morons for calling him a 'moron'. He was personally responsible for the greatest, and this is unarguable, real time strategy game of all time.

He didn't work on Starcraft.

You're sounding a lot like Volourn in this post.

bryce777

Erudite
Only morons like real time strategy games.

'Well, I went through some personal growth where I came around to a realisation about what storyline gives the player. On top of that, it's amazing how much fun it is to go into a room and say, "okay, we've got to come up with a really interesting backstory and fictional universe," and then put the game inside that. It actually makes the whole design job easier, so I've come around!'

I like this one a lot...it's like a ten year old doing a book report about how he spent his summer. It turns out a game is like a part of some other world!

The thing with the good and evil is funny, too. In an ideal game, you would sometimes play evil, and sometimes good, in episodical chapters with totally different parties.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
70 hours of click-click-clickety-click?

... and that's supposed to be a selling point?

bryce777 said:
Only morons like real time strategy games.
Hey, Starcraft is cool. Only dumb-ass un-coordinated retards don't play anything other than RPG's.

merry andrew

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
I'm not totally sure, but that 70 hours may include replaying the game twice. At the start screen, you select difficulty, and difficulty options are only available to characters of a certain level. Oh and there are three difficutly levels.

Stark

Liturgist
merry andrew said:
DarkUnderlord said:
I'm not totally sure, but that 70 hours may include replaying the game twice. At the start screen, you select difficulty, and difficulty options are only available to characters of a certain level. Oh and there are three difficutly levels.

you may have a point there. 70 hours including unlocking and finishing the equivalent of hell mode in Diablo2... or something. it's hard to imagine an action rpg lasting 70 hours.

Chris Taylor come across like a total moron in this interview.

Vykromond

Scholar
Aaron Contreras said:
Sol Invictus said:
Chris Taylor is awesome. You guys are fucking morons for calling him a 'moron'. He was personally responsible for the greatest, and this is unarguable, real time strategy game of all time.

He didn't work on Starcraft.

hahahahaha, so zinged

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Because it's the last totally awesome and major RTS or something! Evar!

Ellester

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
There isn't a lot to choose at the moment,
Sadly this was what got me to buy Dungeon Siege the first time. It came out before IWD2, Morrowind or NWN. I had nothing else to play so I bought it while waiting for the other games. Again, DS2 is being released with no other good rpg’s around. It will probably sell like hotcakes again because there is no competition.

Vykromond

Scholar
I'm glad I already knew what that was, and thus didn't need to Google it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom