Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Dawn of War 2 worth a damn?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Bluebottle said:
MetalCraze said:
I've tried playing DoW2. It's THE Popamole RTS Edition. Tight corridors with unnatural specially preplaced cover and absolutely zero tactics. Just move your units from cover to cover and wait till they will pop all moles.

After CoH where cover was very natural and an addition to the gameplay, not its main focus it's a massive decline.

Not sure how you came away with that impression. Grenades, some hvy weapons, many abilities or simply walking nearby with terminator armour/dred (which you get pretty early on) obliterates any nearby cover. Nor was it really even that necessary to keep the squads alive (at least for the non-scout squads). Make sure they're all pointing the right way, take the right equipment and time your abilities right and the cover ceases to be worth the fannying about required to get there.

You are correct that it isn't a very tactical game, though, except making sure the right people are attacking the most appropriate enemy. You are playing Space Marines though; who never struck me as being the most tactically nuanced of forces.

What? I don't know about Chaos Rising, but the vanilla campaign was terrible, the maps were just rush the enemy position #1, recover, rush the enemy position #2, recover, rush the enemy position #3... and they were exactly the same maps over and over again!! Fucking easy all the time, no need for tactics whatsoever and the worst SP campaign I've ever played in a RTS, I wouldn't say it was even good for what it was.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Bluebottle said:
Don't forget him regenerating a fuckton of HP every time he incapped a squad. Gave up after fighting him for 2 hours on Primarch.

Yes, my fight with him during the second playthrough also took like an hour. I actually wonder why the fuck did I bother instead of checking the endings on youtube :/

What I fucking hated even more though, was the fact that I had this idea in mind for some time to kill him with Cyrus's suicide bombing (that is, the ability you unlock at max corruption -> throw bomb at scouts -> infiltration -> go in -> BOOM -> fall back), but hohoho, Cyrus turned out to be the traitor, and I couldn't use him :x

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
No fucking way. Martellus in superpredator + constant incoming mobs of Havoc boyz was a whole lot tougher. Cyrus is just wait for him to appear -> pound at him like there's no tomorrow (jump packs and telerpoters work nicely here as you get to him instantly and he can't snipe you) -> wait for him to reappear after he throws smokes, rinse and repeat.

Destroid

Arcane
I have not played Chaos Rising, but in stock DoW2 boss fights were really retarded.

In fact the whole singleplayer was retarded.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
No fucking way. Martellus in superpredator + constant incoming mobs of Havoc boyz was a whole lot tougher. Cyrus is just wait for him to appear -> pound at him like there's no tomorrow (jump packs and telerpoters work nicely here as you get to him instantly and he can't snipe you) -> wait for him to reappear after he throws smokes, rinse and repeat.

Sounds like a :x fest on the harder difficulties. Martellus I mean.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Destroid said:
I have not played Chaos Rising, but in stock DoW2 boss fights were really retarded.

In fact the whole singleplayer was retarded.
Boss fights are still lawl-hundred-hp retarded. But there's less of them. (I think, because I only played one mission of vanilla DoW2 before quitting).

I'm thinking of replaying on Primarch with corrupt and stop before Ulkair.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
anus_pounder said:
Sounds like a :x fest on the harder difficulties. Martellus I mean.

Yup, I fought against him on Captain difficulty and was almost wiped out. Survived only thanks to Cyrus and his instant global rez ability since you're blocked off and can't fall back to reinforcement relays.

Traitor Cyrus on Primarch was a cakewalk by comparison. I think only Avitus got killed once in the whole fight.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah boss fights yes. One of the reasons I stopped playing DoW2. Almost every mission was going like "fight through a bunch of linear corridors barely even caring about moving your mouse to give orders and then fight a big bad boss in a way which is more like a minigame".

Not sure how you came away with that impression. Grenades, some hvy weapons, many abilities or simply walking nearby with terminator armour/dred (which you get pretty early on) obliterates any nearby cover.
But that's the point see - there is no reason to use it. They will kill enemies if you just live them be behind cover.

Why ruin what was perfect in CoH? (although the game suffered from the "build base, kill all" RTS syndrome every 2nd mission which made me stop playing). CoH had all map and almost every object on it as cover, except the design was natural and thanks to it cover worked naturally too (as it was "realistic")

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Replaying now. I never gave DoW2 a fair shake because of what everybody has said, so I'm playing through the vanilla campaign on Primarch until I get bored. If I do, then I'll go back to CR.

BTW what does difficulty do? I swear I'm having an easy time with the "bosses" on Primarch than when I first tried DoW2 a year or so back on Sergeant or so. Maybe I just got used to the game.

Also: Funniest thing was when I got purple Terminator armor and I accidentally donated it. :x

Multi-headed Cow

You just got used to the game. Difficulty increases enemy HP and damage, so you have less room for error in higher difficulties. For example the Avatar fight will be a big bleeding pain in the ass on primarch since you have to dance pretty much constantly.

Twinkle

Liturgist
MetalCraze said:
Twinkle said:
One of the reasons I stopped playing DoW2.

When did you stop playing?

8th mission I think.

I take it was before Dreadnought, right? Because big dude makes even basic position control absolutely redundant. His barrage destroys everything in his way (including wimpy cover spots).

Thinking about cover systems - CoH version makes zero sense in DoW2. First, physics engine in CoH is superior (proper 60 hz versus 30 in DoW2) and handles way more dynamic objects. And maps are more detailed, too. Second, CoH is strictly no-melee while in DoW2 the majority of units have close combat abilities. They should have kept simple DoW1 implementation and not bother with being trendy.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
You just got used to the game. Difficulty increases enemy HP and damage, so you have less room for error in higher difficulties. For example the Avatar fight will be a big bleeding pain in the ass on primarch since you have to dance pretty much constantly.
Oh fuck, I forgot about the Avatar.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Does anyone want to play last stand? like does anyone actually own a legal copy of this game?

Destroid

Arcane
Last stand is shit. 10 minutes of zero difficulty is far too long to play a further 10 minutes of challenge.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I just got the official copy of the expansion only (not vanilla) so I can play online. My GWFL is zhandao

Interested in playing last stand or co-op. Also I'm drunk so take advantage right now

MetalCraze

Arcane
Twinkle said:
I take it was before Dreadnought, right? Because big dude makes even basic position control absolutely redundant. His barrage destroys everything in his way (including wimpy cover spots).
Well looks like I didn't miss much.

Thinking about cover systems - CoH version makes zero sense in DoW2. First, physics engine in CoH is superior (proper 60 hz versus 30 in DoW2) and handles way more dynamic objects. And maps are more detailed, too.
I think if they did the same map design in DoW2 (realistic looking open spaces, because there are no corridors on the surface in nature) cover would've made more sense and would be implemented on the better level.

Second, CoH is strictly no-melee while in DoW2 the majority of units have close combat abilities. They should have kept simple DoW1 implementation and not bother with being trendy.
I agree with this statement though.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
I thought the game was ok, but when single player is over, it's over ... a diablo-like that doesn't have permanent continuity/loot hunting like Diablo or Torchlight doesn't really work for me. The writing is pretty laughable.

But, overall, it was ok. Never finished my second Chaos Rising playthrough, but I agree with most here that the expansion is better (though all the boss battles are obnoxious).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing it multiplayer and getting my ass raped. It's actually pretty fun, RTS (or RTT if you prefer) with unit building and resources but no need to micromanage buildings.

MRSA

Scholar
- control only 4 squads at a time (more in the last mission I believe)

- stoopid boss fights

- the same maps all over again

- no EPIC(tm) feel like the first DoW

- collect wargear (Diablow like?)

- did I mention a handful of units are present?

- too clean cut graffx

- the scout sarge gets on me nerves

- stoopid AI (surprise!)

Only played single-player vanilla, YMMV...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom