Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News PS: T Available on GoG

Lomm Cuz

Novice
Mighty Mouse said:
So if I made a game, I can't sell the rights of the game to others cos they are jews? Less money for me then :(. I think I should make a business selling game boxes.

Maybe you are The Jew there...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Seymour said:
Tim Schafer included, fail to give the moral high ground to the industry.

moral high ground

moral high ground

moral high ground

:M

Seymour said:
You know BN, I liked you better at NMA, you used to frown upon strawmen and ad hominens like these.

I do. But on NMA we also moderate to keep nonsensical debates like these from evening happening. I'm not going to self-regulate my behaviour amongst a bunch of retards.

Besides, none of that was aimed at you. You keep applying it to yourself as if I'm making universal statements. That's on you, bro. I'm talking about tards like Relay up there.

Mighty Mo said:
So if I made a game, I can't sell the rights of the game to others cos they are jews?

Pretty much brah. Crippling the concept of IP by defining it as "not property" simply because is is not a material will somehow magically help those who works in IP-based industries :salute:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Relay said:
And I say that as someone who bought all of his games (even Dragon Age.. which I regret) so I'm not one of the self entitled pricks who argue just for his self benefit. I don't mind paying for the games but there is no way I'm ever going to buy anything on GoG, ever. It's ridiculous, spending money on something when all of the original creators have been a long time gone ? Really ? How about a nice cup of FUCK YOU ? GoG has found a way to literally print money with little actual work done. I'd rather buy it second hand from a gamer who isn't making a profit on it since he paid the full price before selling his copy and only if I care for the nice box and art.

There is no way to defend a business comprised of lazy bums such as GoG.
GoG is the kind of business that smells of jewgold, if the people behind it aren't actually jew in flesh they must be jews in spirit at least.

Are you a moron or are you just living in a La La land? GoG is a business like any other, they used money to buy rights to sell games just like Steam or any other digital distributor, only difference is that they have focused on selling older titles which in many cases were considered abandoware.
News flash, many games on Steam or DtD also sell games whos developers are long time dead, same as retail stores. Should they all just give shit for free, or does a game becomes free for all the moment its developers ceases to exist?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
markec said:
Should they all just give shit for free, or does a game becomes free for all the moment its developers ceases to exist?

Pretty much, yeah. Publishers are greedy jews. What right have they to interpret a contract in which they invest all the money and carry all the risk in return of rights in perpetuity as actually meaning in perpetuity?

FILTHY THIEVES :x

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Relay said:
There is no way to defend a business comprised of lazy bums such as GoG.

As I understand it, they buy the distribution rights from whatever publisher, studio, or individual currently owns the IP, they put some programming time into writing an installer so the games run on modern hardware, they convert user manuals into convenient PDF files, and toss in some other freebies like soundtracks or art imagery to sweeten the deal. No, they didn't make the game, and unless some of the original devs still own the IP they're not getting cash, but I disagree that GOG are a bunch of "lazy bums" who deserve to get ripped off on principle.

The way I see it, they're providing a means for a newer generation to experience these classic games without resorting to torrenting "abandonware" or relying on user-made patches to get the stuff to function. They have a staff who supports the products they sell. They also don't dick around with DRM so this rewards the honest customer. That's worth 10 bucks in my book.

Morkar Left

Seymour said:
Brother None said:
In what sense would the creative industry be exempt?

In the sense that it is their only activity, I guess. Developers can at times be just code monkeys doing grunt work, but every game was thought up by someone or a group of people before pitched to a publisher, and these guys still take the shaft in an ever expanding industry. Activision was founded by a such a bunch who wanted nothing more than having their name on the box, something that went against standard industry practices at the time. It's a good thing they did, and a better one that they succeded.

Right. They founded their own company which means they invested their own money (or loaned money). They took the risk and therefore they can decide how they want something get done. And if they can´t do it all alone they hire people and pay them money for doing it their way. The hired people agree to this conditions. If they think the conditions suck, they can do it like Activison and found their own company. Then they can... you get the point ;)

Tails

Arbiter
Good god, this discussion is still going on? give it a brake people, one side won't convince another one.

bossjimbob said:
The way I see it, they're providing a means for a newer generation to experience these classic games without resorting to torrenting "abandonware" or relying on user-made patches to get the stuff to function.
Well regarding compatibility, most of the work do companies by realising GOG exclusive patch. or just Dosbox which has neat support of DOS games. Rest of the games, like PS:T still have the old issues under WinXP or Interstate'76 buggy re-release as hell. Fan-made patches always will come handy.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Tails said:
Well regarding compatibility, most of the work do companies by realising GOG exclusive patch. or just Dosbox which has neat support of DOS games. Rest of the games, like PS:T still have the old issues under WinXP or Interstate'76 buggy re-release as hell. Fan-made patches always will come handy.

True. I applied a couple of those patches to improve the game's visuals. My point is that to simply buy the game from GOG ensured that it would run on install, even on Win7 64 bit. Fan patches made sure it looked its best. I just like the convenience and insurance of buying an old game through a service rather than relying solely on user-made patches or hacks.

In contrast, I bought KotOR via Steam a few weeks ago. Despite whatever compatibility they promised on newer machines the damn thing wouldn't run on install until I tracked down a fan forum post with a link to a driver file or something. It was a total pain in the ass.

I like convenience and am willing to pay a little extra for it, whether that means supporting a service (like GOG) that does the compatibility coding, or by purchasing a re-issue on console (or PC) such as with the Monkey Island HD remakes.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
In order to disrupt this futile discussion, I'm posting one of the shitty PST wallpapers I made when I was looking for PST wallpapers and found even shittier ones...

post-11034-1239664389.jpg

Antihero

Liturgist
bossjimbob said:
The way I see it, they're providing a means for a newer generation to experience these classic games without resorting to torrenting "abandonware" or relying on user-made patches to get the stuff to function. They have a staff who supports the products they sell. They also don't dick around with DRM so this rewards the honest customer. That's worth 10 bucks in my book.
Well... sometimes they are a little half-assed about it I find:
Might and Magic VI crashes after launch
On Windows XP:
Try downloading and installing this unofficial patch: https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/ .
It seems that unofficial patch also has a NoCD option (and that's GOG's link)... but I'm not sure exactly what the "fix" in it is.

Plus it seems like all the earlier ones crash after the title screen for me on WinXP, whether running as the admin or not. Used a more or less "pristine" version under DOSBox and imgmounted the game from the config's autoexec to get it to work myself...

At least I can't fault them about no DRM. I'd sooner support buying older games from GOG than, say, Steam. So you can hardly complain about them making it harder to preserve the classics, or whatever.

Turjan

Arcane
ghostdog said:
In order to disrupt this futile discussion, I'm posting one of the shitty PST wallpapers I made when I was looking for PST wallpapers and found even shittier ones...
Nice work :).

I still have a PS:T box with a 4 CD version, a patch CD, a manual, a poster, and some silly NPC cards. I would like to convert it to an English version, though.

Winter Ale

Novice
Huh,

Lomm Cuz said:
markec said:
Well, how much publishers are really taking bankrupt risk investments? If they were taking all that risk they would be falling in bankrupt all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclaim_Entertainment
Acclaim: Bankrupt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir-Tech
Sir-Tech: Publisher, bankrupt. Dev, bankrupt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infogrames
Infograms: Bankrupt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_HoloByte
Spectrum Holobyte: bankrupt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplay_Entertainment
Titus Interactive:
Acquired Interplay, went Bankrupt

Jowood: Reportedly near bankrupt.

I wonder how many I've forgotten. This is fun,

A cute little troll, or a poster with a profound ignorance of recent history. Game publishing's an utter bloodbath.

$9.99 for the first game only? Way, way overpriced. I paid 2.90 € for the 3-in-1 boxset (IWD+HoW+IWDII) in a local superstore and although that price might have been unusually low I wouldn't pay more than 10 € for all three.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Brother None said:
Hear me, brave Codexers! I strongly request that if you feel the need to justify your thievery, to at least put some effort into creating an excuse that stands up to even the basest economic/legal scrutiny. This hippy nonsense is kind of boring

IP older than 10 to 20 years should not be intellectual property.
Although the pharma industry disagrees.

BN, are you by any chance a future vidya game developer?

made

Arcane
BethesdaLove said:
BN, are you by any chance a future vidya game developer?
He snapped when he became "part of the industry" and Bethesda started paying him for reviews.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
BethesdaLove said:

I'm sure you have a very valid explanation for why that would be.

Note: I WANTZ FREE STUFF is not gonna cut it. :roll:

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
The only problem is the moral entitlement of a single individual to his "property". But property is a legal concept and morals not absolute. There is no law of the universe binding you to your stick man picture from the second grade or even your house! The society of humans grants you the right to profit from something you invested energy in. And when the society thinks that you profited enough, it lifts your monopoly on your property.

We as a capitalistic society of lowly physical beings decided that physical property (however defined) belongs to us for life and then to our closest blood relatives.

IP is different though because technically its not physical anymore. So we as a society grant you monopoly rights on your ideas only for a limited time so afterwards we as a society can broadly profit from it. At least thats the case with pharmaceuticals. You give up your rights to further the cause of the human race as a cosmopolitan would put it.

I would like to write here about the actual concept of 'idea' but that would be way to much writing. Lets just say that imo your super new awesome idea (tm) is not truly yours.

So, now, we extend the practices of the pharma laws regarding IP to all information.
We leave an amount of time to the rights holder of the 'idea' so he can try to profit of it and after that time, we as a society enjoy the novel cultural, technical, whatever information. Be it your picture, story, melody, antenna design, algorithm...

Legally, book authors back in 1700 had 15 years of IP according to Wikipedia. Pharma have now 10? years.

Economically, this forces the profit oriented information 'creator' to invest into creation of new information.

Morally, there can be a lot of different justifications for this method depending on the morals you choose.

COMMUNISM FOR EVERYONE!

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
markec said:
BethesdaLove said:

Should music, films and books follow the same trend?
Yes. Modern copyright laws worse than sodomy with HIV-positive ugly nigger.

Harold

Arcane
bossjimbob said:
As I understand it, [...] they put some programming time into writing an installer so the games run on modern hardware
They put dosbox and scene cracks
bossjimbob said:
they convert user manuals into convenient PDF files
They get them from replacementdocs
bossjimbob said:
and toss in some other freebies like soundtracks or art imagery to sweeten the deal.
They get them from fansites or limited edition dvd torrents
So basically they put together stuff for you if you're too lazy to download them yourself after not removing the game from the inventory.

Also:
Brother None said:
Hear me, brave Codexers! I strongly request that if you feel the need to justify your thievery, to at least put some effort into creating an excuse that stands up to even the basest economic/legal scrutiny. This hippy nonsense is kind of boring
Hear me, brave Brother None! I strongly request that if you feel the need to justify your jewish cocksucking, to at least put some effort into creating an excuse that stands up to even the basest :M scrutiny. This 'I get my games legally' high-horse faggotry nonsense is kind of boring

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I wonder how a PDF is more convenient that a printed manual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom