Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Phantasie! (1st dungeon)

Luzur

Good Sir
theverybigslayer said:
It's cyan, not blue :)

yeah yeah yeah. :x
Luzur wrote:
ah, the distinct classic feeling of magenta, black, white and blue of early PC's.

Aye, that is one era that I have barely touched, save for Might And Magic: Book I and The Bard's Tale.

It seems to be a mid-80s thing, when monochrome was out of date, and games managed to use a few basic colours.

I honestly could never get into games of this era, especially not Beneath The Root and Wilderness, because black-and-white is okay, limited butt-ugly colours are not.

heh, i grew up on games like that, like school bus driver, Deja Vu and alley cat, so i see no problems with the colors (except for playing for long sessions) :)

That's why being a C64 or Amiga owner was the way to play computer games in the 80s.

Until like 91 or so owning a PC for games was probably a stupid idea.

Actually its always been stupid, but Commodore couldn't market beer to a frathouse and thus we have what we have..

Luzur

Good Sir
Captain Rufus said:
That's why being a C64 or Amiga owner was the way to play computer games in the 80s.

Until like 91 or so owning a PC for games was probably a stupid idea.

Actually its always been stupid, but Commodore couldn't market beer to a frathouse and thus we have what we have..

i got my first PC in 1992-93 sometime, before that it was all about the Commodore.

and yeah if they had a better marketing people and bosses (like keeping Rattigan and murdering Ali Mehdi with rusty knifes) Commodore could have been saved.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
I grew up with PCs. I think I had a friend who had a Commodore, which I thought was the shit because you could HOOK IT UP TO A TV AND ALL THOSE COLORS ZOMG!

And all I know of "Rattigan" is basically this:

Ratigan.jpg

So, not the same.

One game that did graphics AMAZINGLY well for a PC, though, was King's Quest I. When you entered any area you had to put up with the line-drawing sketching out the place, but to me as a kid, it was on par with magical. I played the FUCK out of that game.

Also, got to the end of Phantasie and the last boss basically gang-raped me with unfair bolts of unfairness +10. Going to go back and try it again. GRR.

Imagine the people in the 80s lucky and wise enough to have Amigas. THIRTY TWO COLORS ON SCREEN. Plus 640 interlaced mode for ulta high resness.

(Yes I know there was 4096 HAM mode, but for normal system purposes..)

Too bad it wasn't really till the 90s that anyone took advantage of what the Amiga could do. Which was make it mostly be a lower specced Sega Genesis (which was pretty much an Amiga with more colors on screen and a 3 button control setup..) or try to run games designed for hard drive based 386 computers.

The sheer power of the Amiga is why a little 7 mhz machine costing 600 could almost do what a 2000 PC was doing.

I so regret only having one for a short period of time before going to the dark side, the side of evil. The PC.

Luzur

Good Sir
Annie Carlson said:
I grew up with PCs. I think I had a friend who had a Commodore, which I thought was the shit because you could HOOK IT UP TO A TV AND ALL THOSE COLORS ZOMG!

And all I know of "Rattigan" is basically this:

Ratigan.jpg

So, not the same.

no, not quite the same.

The Rattigan Years In March 1986, Thomas J. Rattigan replaced Smith as Commodore's CEO. Rattigan was hired in April of 1985 with the understanding that he would replace Smith, who remained on as a director. Rattigan's objective during the first few months of his leadership was clear - cut costs in order to stabilize Commodore's position, allowing it to rebuild. Once again, the payroll was trimmed from top to bottom, and three plants were closed in five months. New controls were added in the finance department to prevent the sloppy reporting that had undermined Smith's leadership. Commodore continued to sell respectable numbers of its $150 C64 throughout 1986. The Commodore 128, a successor to and more powerful machine than the C64, was selling for $300 at the time, also helping to keep the company afloat. Rattigan's policies worked. By March of 1987, Commodore had caught up on its loans and posted a $22 million earning in the quarter ending December 1986. It also had $46 million in the bank, the most cash since 1983, its most profitable year.

The Post-Rattigan Years On April 22, 1987, Rattigan was replaced by Chairman Irving Gould, the venture capitalist who had been involved with Commodore for over 20 years. It is unclear as to why Rattigan was replaced after turning the company around and posting $28 million in profits over the four quarters ending in March 1987. Rattigan himself claimed that he was forced out by Chairman Gould due to personality conflicts and that Gould was upset about Rattigan getting credit for the company's turnaround. Gould argued that the comeback
in the U.S. was insufficient compared to its rebound in overseas markets, which accounted for 70% of its sales. In fact, despite its profitability, Commodore's U.S. revenues had declined by 54% in the same four quarters. According to Gould's ideology, the North American operation was to be a sales and marketing extension of the company, rather than the unwieldy, semi-independent entity it had become. For the third time in Commodore history, a new leader began his term at the helm by drastically downsizing. Under Gould's reign, the payroll was cut from 4,700 to 3,100, including half the North American headquarters' corporate staff, and five plants were
closed.

strangely enough its impossible to find any picture of the man on the net. :?

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
dead1-1.jpg

My wizard is dead after the very first battle. Is there a way to resurrect him? Temple or something? I have't found anything in the first city.

Elzair

Cipher
Hey everybigslayer. Are you ever going to do an LP of more early Wizardries.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Elzair said:
Hey everybigslayer. Are you ever going to do an LP of more early Wizardries.

Have you read crpgaddict's blog about Wizardry2-3? They are cruel games :)

One question about Phantasie 1: why is my elf priest's training fee 1000 golds while the other ones have to pay only 100 golds? He has only 12 charisma, is that so big difference?

DaveO

Erudite
Charisma is very important in determining training fees for Phantasie I. Unless you're close to the max charisma for the character choice, expect to pay a lot of gold to level a character.

Luzur

Good Sir
this LP never came off for poor Sheek, it seems.

and Annie called me her "Duckie" too.

she totally wants me.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DaveO said:
Charisma is very important in determining training fees for Phantasie I. Unless you're close to the max charisma for the character choice, expect to pay a lot of gold to level a character.
IIRC didn't it also matter from race to race?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom