Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN's Top 25 Modern PC Games

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p>IGN decides to <a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/101/1011624p1.html">bless us with another top-list</a>, this time they tried to <em>pick the best games from more recent times</em>.</p>
<p>Among them are a few RPGs and games that try to pass as RPGs. Some examples:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>#2, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Alright, I'm just going to say it. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn is the best role-playing game of all time. Packed into this experience is such a dizzying amount of content it's difficult to even know where to start. Once you begin this epic tale and uncover bits and pieces of one of the best villains to ever grace a videogame, it's near impossible to stop. Gorgeous art and environmental design, incredibly deep Dungeons & Dragons based combat, and a cast of memorable characters fill out this gigantic adventure. This is a desert island kind of game, the kind of fantasy world you can get utterly lost in and spend upwards of 200 hours exploring, which I did. With sharp writing, a staggering amount of environmental and fictional detail, a gripping plot, seemingly endless strings of quests and dungeons, tons of loot and class abilities, this is the ultimate role-playing experience.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>
#10, Fallout 3</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Taking over a beloved franchise and updating it for the modern gamer is not an easy thing to do. To do it with the focus of Fallout 3, that's nearly impossible. This is one of the greatest open-world RPGs available, offering a dark post-apocalyptic world that asks you just how naughty or nice you want to be. Will you be the savior of the Wasteland? Or will you be as cruel and inhumane as the world around you? It's all about freedom of choice, backed by deep role-playing mechanics to keep the hardcore satisfied.
</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99972-igns-top-25-modern-pc-games.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

GuideBot

Novice
They limit themselves to games younger than Half Life because they don't want to talk about games older than their target audience.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
The more I see sentences like this, the more I regret that love for first two Fallouts not rabies. Because I want to BITE!

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Ruprekt said:
BioWare's Mass Effect 2 is a stunning return to role-playing purity.

OFFCOURSE RPG! IS ABOUT ROLE YOU PLAY IN THE STORY!

AND THE STORY GOT GOOD CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Valve's entire catalogue is in there (barring the first title obviously).

System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are in there, but none of the Thief games are.

And you forgot to mention Oblivion in at number 11. :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You don't have to go far to get one of my favorite Mass Effect 2 moments. Just start up the game and watch as the Normandy meets its destruction. The old crew tries in desperation to save it, with Shepard playing the hero once more. And then you're left in the void of space, watching Shepard tumble toward the planet and the opening credits roll. Talk about powerful.
Wow, it must be immensely boring if his favorite memory is the emotionally engaging cutscene at the very start.

Deleted member 7219

My biggest problem with Fallout 3 was that it WASN'T a dark post-apoc world. It was some kind of farcical one, like they had played Fallout 2 and thought, "How could we make this even funnier?". Bethesda don't understand the nature of black comedy. Black comedy isn't meant to get guffaws.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ruprekt said:
BioWare's Mass Effect 2 is a stunning return to role-playing purity.

Amazing. I just started this for the first time and it is less of an RPG than even ME1. At least ME1 for the first couple of hours had you on the citadel and it at least approximated an RPG, but ME2 has nothing at all, just locations where you get missions, which all are exactly the same: walk into a room, shoot the spawn waves of 3-4 goons, walk to next room, repeat! Where the fuck is the roleplaying? Fuck everyone here slags of AP more than ME2 yet AP is far more of a RPG with at least a bit of variety in the approach to it's popamole combat than ME2 which is just a bunch of cutscenes where you can be nice or nasty in between neverending linear spawn combat!

Say what you want about Bethesda and Oblivious and Failout but at least they are RPG's even if they are shitty. There's at least some skill checks and puzzles and actual use of things you dump in your inventory to solve quests etc. Not to mention that the game can be modded to be half decent as with Nehrim.

My fear is that if the Biofag 'RPG' gains ascendancy then we truly will be left with nothing from the big(ger) studios. Yes, we still have the odd alternative, but for how long? If ME2 is such a great RPG then how long until others take the path of least resistance? ME2 is pretty much the same thing as Splinter Cell: Conviction with added choices in cutscenes, and that game is NOT an RPG in any shape or form.

Squirly

Educated
commie, I agree with you. But IGN isn't listening.

What are you going to do?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Squirly said:
commie, I agree with you. But IGN isn't listening.

What are you going to do?

You suck at this.

Wow. All those reviews saying that Oblivion and Fallout 3 are the greatest rpgs ever made, and such an advancement on everything that's gone before, and now BG2 leapfrogs them all the way to 2 while they languish in 10-11?

Do reviewers even remember what they wrote 6 months ago? Fucking goldfish all of them.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Wow. All those reviews saying that Oblivion and Fallout 3 are the greatest rpgs ever made, and such an advancement on everything that's gone before, and now BG2 leapfrogs them all the way to 2 while they languish in 10-11?

Do reviewers even remember what they wrote 6 months ago? Fucking goldfish all of them.

Baldur's Gate 3 confirmed?

Rhalle

Magister
FeelTheRads said:
Azrael the cat said:

Baldur's Gate 3 confirmed?

Since many people know how good "Baldur's Gate 2" supposedly was, you can bet your ass that they won't pass up a chance to whore out the name for a Baldur's Gate 3. I don't care what they say. ITZ coming.

RandomLurker

Scholar
Well, some of those are actually good, which is more than can be reasonably expected from the likes of IGN. Freespace 2 for instance definitely could use more mainstream love (the whole genre could, really).

Also, I'm utterly amazed at their #3 pick, specifically in context of a certain recent release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom