Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The probability of finding pies by opening boxes

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
<p>For those who haven't heard of <a href="http://www.ted.com/">TED</a>, it's a science-type conference thing where people talk about interesting stuff from a science-y type point of view. Here's a talk from TED that's interesting from a game design point of view. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/TEDtalksDirector#p/u/4/KyamsZXXF2w">Tom Chatfield: 7 ways video games engage the brain</a>. He gets into it at around 8:40 but the basic points are:</p>
<ol>
<li>Experience bars measuring progress.</li>
<li>Multiple long and short-tem aims.</li>
<li>Rewards for effort ("You don't punish failure").</li>
<li>Rapid, frequent, clear feedback (You need to link consequences to actions).</li>
<li>An element of uncertainty ("This is a nueorological gold mine").</li>
<li>Windows of enhanced attention (have better "memory and confidence").</li>
<li>Other people! ("Doing stuff with other people is more exciting than cash" and he gives examples of player created systems to handle giving out rewards, such as "Dragon Kill Points" from Everquest).</li>
</ol>
<p>The future is MMO's.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We're all screwed.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks <strong>Grunker</strong>!</p>

The real problem is, when these people are given a prestigious platform like that to work from - with the further implication that that platform automatically means that the speaker is "above the pack", insightful and worth paying attention to - countless less intelligent people begin to think this is how they should think and they will clap and adopt the views because the messianic man at the podium said it was so.
It is a disease that spreads to the minds of those who do not have the intellectual immunity to resist.

I really don't know who he is or why they chose him (he has no wikipedia entry?) but there is no insight in these words. I think maybe it is a case of the industry giving itself reach-arounds as a way to reassure their fragile egos that they are true artists, scientists, teachers and modern business tycoons, and not just overgrown children who keep true talent out of their field and themselves alive by perpetuating the Plight of the Lowest Common Denominator

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
8 billion dollars spent annually on virtual crap?
:decline:

The presentation itself was pretty full on derp.
:retarded:

ironyuri

Excommunicator said:
The real problem is, when these people are given a prestigious platform like that to work from - with the further implication that that platform automatically means that the speaker is "above the pack", insightful and worth paying attention to - countless less intelligent people begin to think this is how they should think and they will clap and adopt the views because the messianic man at the podium said it was so.
It is a disease that spreads to the minds of those who do not have the intellectual immunity to resist.

I really don't know who he is or why they chose him (he has no wikipedia entry?) but there is no insight in these words. I think maybe it is a case of the industry giving itself reach-arounds as a way to reassure their fragile egos that they are true artists, scientists, teachers and modern business tycoons, and not just overgrown children who keep true talent out of their field and themselves alive by perpetuating the Plight of the Lowest Common Denominator

Excommunicator, do you think that all bears are toys?

ironyuri casts detect nomask on thread.
Success!
NOMASK LEVELS OVER 9000. Source: Excommunicator.

If this is at all representative of what they are about then its no wonder that I've never heard of them.

I am not Nomask. I have not been around long enough to know what Nomask was/is really about so maybe you could tell me what similarities you seem to have spotted

roll-a-die

Magister
Stuck up attitude, braod assumptions regarding things and disregoarding other tihngs, use of overcomplicated words to make simple points, etc.

AI PROGRAM EXITED
HARD DRIVE FAULT DETECTED
HARD DRIVE FAULT REPAIRED
AI PROGRAM RESTARTED
PROFILE CHOSEN MAIN.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Overweight Manatee said:
If this is at all representative of what they are about then its no wonder that I've never heard of them.
Didn't watch this one but usually TED was quite good. But then I'Ve only ever watched presentations that were recommended by friends.

Secretninja

Cipher
Excommunicator said:
I am not Nomask. I have not been around long enough to know what Nomask was/is really about so maybe you could tell me what similarities you seem to have spotted

ok drog

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Meh, lots of experts who are mostly ignorant on the subject they are discussing end up making lots of these "well duh" statements without going into detail or pointing out that there are things that go much beyond what they describe.

This is like some mainstream literati pointing out that sci-fi or fantasy can be serious as well. Nothing to see here.

roll-a-die said:
Stuck up attitude, braod assumptions regarding things and disregoarding other tihngs, use of overcomplicated words to make simple points, etc.

That would give you three out of four for yourself.

I stand by everything I said. Dicksmoker has grasped the idea pretty quickly, but that seems above your abilities.

Some Codexers are so simple. Im sry. Ill use small words 4 u k.

CraigCWB

Educated
He's probably right but I think spending 20 minutes arguing with that one fucktard in global chat stimulates the brain more. And I'm pretty sure you can recreate that experience offline without even buying a game in the first place.

Anyway... I can recall quite a few games that had me wracking my brain trying to figure out how I was supposed to proceed. But that was a long time ago, when developers didn't want their games to be easy and when the user interfaces were shit so you couldn't pick up on the clues even if they were there which they weren't, and before you could use Google to instantly find the answer to anything you found even mildly perplexing.

This guy needs to check the stats on how often the average player replays the exact same content in the exact same way (because there really is no other way, is there?) and try to figure out what that tells us. People don't even watch their favorite movies as many times as they play any random computer game, and that's gotta have some kind of ADD implications, right? Isn't there some kind of obsessive disorder that causes people do engage in a lot of repetitive behaviors? That seems like something TED should be looking into.

Needles

Scholar
http://blog.ted.com/2010/03/17/gaming_can_make/

Games like World of Warcraft give players the means to save worlds, and incentive to learn the habits of heroes.
What if we could harness this gamer power to solve real-world problems? Jane McGonigal says we can, and explains how.
(Recorded at TED2010, February 2010 in Long Beach, CA. Duration: 20:04)

:roll:

Gobbo

Novice
fuck this capitalistic ideology

being engaged means you blindly follow the task that are given to you. MMo's never make you ask the questions "why should I do it?", "what can be done to overcome such problems in the future?" etc. That's what Kant's private use of reason is: you do something because you must.
What this worlds lacks is public use of reason and MMo mechanics don't have this.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Newsflash: "scientists" looking at games that are popular because they don't know enough about the subject to ever have heard of worthwile titles. Also they're probably MMO addicts themselves.

zeitgeist

Magister
This article, regardless of its original intent, only really supports the argument that a good game can't be based on giving players what they want, and instead must be based on giving players what they need.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom