Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Covert Action - Need a modern remake of this.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
final_001.png

final_002.png

final_003.png

final_004.png

final_005.png

final_006.png

final_007.png

Download Link: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/139/C ... ction.html

You are Max Remington, a CIA Operative tasked with multitude of missions ranging from a local disturbance to threat of national security or even trigger a global crisis! Beware, the clock is always ticking. Was it the KGB behind all this? The PRC? Or Mossad? Step on the wrong toes and they will go after you in retaliation!

Employ all possible methods to unravel clues and apprehend suspects before the time runs out!
final_000.png

DECRYPT SECRET TRANSMISSIONS TO EXPOSE PLOTS
code_000.png

RAID SAFEHOUSES AND HIDEOUTS TO CAPTURE MEMBERS OF TERRORISTS CELLS
tac_000.png

WIRETAP PHONE CONVERSATION TO GATHER CLUES DISCREETLY
bug_000.png

Are you a bad enough dude to save the United States?

Also: IN YOUR FACE, METAL GEAR SOLID! :twisted:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Forget it.

Early Sid Meier Microprose games are more spreadsheets than actual games and geared more at simulation anything.

I mean, his submarine game was boring shit.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Wrong. Covert Action is an excellent game. It's in the 'random generated' genre; and such games really show the possibilities of the medium. I've spent countless hours playing it, notating clues on pieces of paper, etc... Endless replay value.

You can forget about a remake though, the modern industry is shit.

RK47

Patron
Wyrmlord said:
Forget it.

Early Sid Meier Microprose games are more spreadsheets than actual games and geared more at simulation anything.

I mean, his submarine game was boring shit.

It's a clue-based game with a little action mixed in between. Are you expecting something else other than Carmen San Diego with Shooting & Puzzle solving?

I mean just look at this methodical clue sifting. Where in other games have I experienced it?

Agent name: Max "47" Remington
Threat Level: Regional

Hi Max,
final_000.png

we received a garbled transmission from one of our deep-cover DEA agents which has us very concerned. Shortly after we recorded the message, the transmitter went off the air. We were able to make out a few words of the message: 'Mescal', 'Mastermind'. 'millions of dollars'. We're not sure what this thing means but it appears to be something big.

We have indications that an operation is in preparation somewhere in Africa/Middle East.

Your mission is to prevent this operation from succeeding and to capture as many of the participants as possible. Caution, one or more double agents are believed to be active within the CIA. Here is some info we picked up over the last few days. We think it's linked to this operation...

game_000.png

Clue #1: This indicates the city of Khartoum underground activity has increased. Possible plot in motion?

game_001.png

Clue #2: Marxists Faction involvement in Tel Aviv? Could be a false lead, need name, face and address. Perhaps a raid on Marxists office will be in order.

game_002.png

Clue #3: Fred Jones, just a name. Involved with something in Tehran. Must intercept the telegram. But lack a lead to follow. A name isn't enough.

game_003.png

Clue #4: Address of a blueprint inspector in Tehran. Fred Jones is in Tehran. Perhaps related? A raid is in order. Plot may involve blueprints.

game_004.png

Clue #5: An address and a face. Still no clue on what is her involvement. Raiding it would probably reveal more information and perhaps enough evidence to arrest her.

game_005.png

Washington DC 0200 AM August 2nd - It's a start.

game_006.png

Dropping by the Data Section. Checking Marxists background.

game_007.png

Offices in Baghdad & Damascus. No mention of their cells in Tel Aviv. Must be hidden. Need to raid one of their officers for addresses of their hideouts in Tel Aviv.

Checked with Sam at the intel section. Not a bad advice. Hrm. Time to move out.

game_008.png

I always head over to the hotel before making a decision. It's a safe place to backtrack when things go wrong.

game_009.png

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Those credits pictures need adding to the developers avatar section, STAT!

RK47

Patron
Agent name: Max "47" Remington
Threat Level: Regional

Hi Max,
final_000.png

we received a garbled transmission from one of our deep-cover DEA agents which has us very concerned. Shortly after we recorded the message, the transmitter went off the air. We were able to make out a few words of the message: 'Mescal', 'Mastermind'. 'millions of dollars'. We're not sure what this thing means but it appears to be something big.

We have indications that an operation is in preparation somewhere in Africa/Middle East.

Your mission is to prevent this operation from succeeding and to capture as many of the participants as possible. Caution, one or more double agents are believed to be active within the CIA. Here is some info we picked up over the last few days. We think it's linked to this operation...

game_000.png

Clue #1: This indicates the city of Khartoum underground activity has increased. Possible plot in motion?

game_001.png

Clue #2: Marxists Faction involvement in Tel Aviv? Could be a false lead, need name, face and address. Perhaps a raid on Marxists office will be in order.

game_002.png

Clue #3: Fred Jones, just a name. Involved with something in Tehran. Must intercept the telegram. But lack a lead to follow. A name isn't enough.

game_003.png

Clue #4: Address of a blueprint inspector in Tehran. Fred Jones is in Tehran. Perhaps related? A raid is in order. Plot may involve blueprints.

game_004.png

Clue #5: An address and a face. Still no clue on what is her involvement. Raiding it would probably reveal more information and perhaps enough evidence to arrest her.

game_005.png

Washington DC 0200 AM August 2nd - It's a start.

game_006.png

Dropping by the Data Section. Checking Marxists background.

game_007.png

Offices in Baghdad & Damascus. No mention of their cells in Tel Aviv. Must be hidden. Need to raid one of their officers for addresses of their hideouts in Tel Aviv.

Checked with Sam at the intel section. Not a bad advice. Hrm. Time to move out.

game_008.png

I always head over to the hotel before making a decision. It's a safe place to backtrack when things go wrong.

game_009.png

RK47

Patron
game_010.png

I decided to head to Tehran. With a little luck I may dig up more clues to pursue this investigation.

game_011.png

The plot is in motion. Red September faction is involved. Location unknown.

game_012.png

I'm stumped. The address did not specify which city Holmley Park 12 is in. My trip to Tehran could be a total waste.

game_013.png

Desperate, I brought out my data pad and did a background check on Red September.

game_014.png

They have no known hideout here but their ally, but the PRC has a hideout. It's time to pay the PRC a visit.

tac_000.png

I reviewed my gear.
tac_001.png

From the looks of it, they were not expecting me, so I forgo my Kevlar vest and UZI sub-machine gun. I picked the gas mask and complement it with a set of lethal gas grenades. The standard 9mm will be my main weapon. I took the 36-shot camera to record evidence as well as the safe cracking kit. The motion detector will make avoiding contact easier. Making too much noise and killing too many of their operatives will piss them off and make future infiltration more difficult. Not a good thing to do at the start of your investigation.

I don't have the floor plans but I know there are 3 entry points. I pick the one furthest to the right and went in.

tac_003.png

I ransacked the office with no hesitation. A more discreet way would be to close the drawers after opening, but with the motion detector I know there wouldn't be any patrols nearby so we are safe at the moment. Patrols who stumble upon an open drawer or ransacked safe will immediately trigger the alarm.

tac_005.png

I uncovered a clue in one of the files. An address for a Marxists office in Tehran.

tac_006.png

Also, North Ave 49 is determined to be in the city of Khartoum.

tac_007.png

Red Sept hideout in Tehran. How fortunate.

tac_008.png

This red box is a safe that usually contains highly valuable information that can turn captured enemy operatives into a double agent. Or sometimes reveal the major players in the whole plot. Let's check this out.

tac_009.png

Ah, this one contains the PRC action team currently involved with the plot. It's empty, indicating that none of the operatives are from PRC. We can exclude any clues that tie in with the PRC from our 'priority list' from now on. They may be allies with the Red September but have no part to play with this plot. If a faction is involved with the plot, this action team sheet will reveal the names of their operative and their whereabouts but not the address of their hideouts.

tac_011.png

Owner of the green card is Marxists, increasing the possibility that the Marxists are involved with this plot.

tac_012.png

Alicia Murad lives in Ave 49, Khartoum. We'll pay her a visit after this.

tac_013.png

I was quite satisfied with the cues uncovered in this raid and made my way out without the alarm raised.

RK47

Patron
game_017.png

Following the lead above takes us to Khartoum

game_015.png

game_016.png

The plot is in motion. The Blueprints have been stolen. This should connect with this following clue.

game_018.png

The blueprint should be at Holmley Park 12. But I still have no clue which city this address is located. For now let's focus on Khartoum.

game_019.png

We still don't know which faction owns this building. But we're about to find out by breaking in.

tac_014.png

The second room has a red safe that contains good info.

tac_015.png

Ah ha! This confirms their involvement. Alicia Murad of Red September is their sole participant in this plot. Since she is in Khartoum then she must be somewhere in this building. But I need more evidence before I take her in.

tac_019.png

After a few quick searches I discovered her photograph and managed to build a complete profile. She also received a coded message from Paris and bought parts on August 2. Time to head back to the labs to decrypt it. I quickly make my way to the CIA branch office in Khartoum.

game_020.png

Here is the message:
code_000.png

I cracked my head around this for 2 in-game hours. (10-15 mins IRL) before coming upon the solution.

code_002.png

Jackpot!

game_021.png

Agent F in Paris is working as an Inside Agent to acquire the password to the alarm system and gave it to Alicia Murad. I still have no clue who Agent F works for though, but with this evidence I can take Alicia Murad into custody. I logged my list of suspects on a spreadsheet in my office before heading out for the Alicia Murad bust.

suspects.jpg

game_024.png

Let's see how this works out. Inside Agent in Paris passes codes to Murad. Murad buys parts to make alarm disabling device. Elsewhere in the world, a blueprint for a warehouse was stolen from Amman on 3rd August, one day after the device is completed. It seems I am one step behind.

An Inside Agent implies that the organization is probably a friendly agency like MI6 or the MI8 in Paris. Let's check Paris database before we leave.

game_022.png

Hmm Bingo. A MI6 Office in Paris. I'll check that office after I settle matters in Khartoum.

game_023.png

RK47

Patron
tac_022.png

It's time to bring her in.

tac_023.png

Agent F is identified as Fred Jones.

tac_026.png

Could be a false clue. But theft gang leader could be the unidentified Thief Role.

tac_025.png

A face to the resident of Holmley Park 12

tac_027.png

Safe reveals that blueprints are in Paris. Fred has it. I'm going there next.

tac_028.png

Starting to alert the guards, things are heating up. Sitting on the corner picking them off one by one is the wise thing to do. Gassing the nearby room is a good idea too.

tac_030.png

Omar Nidal is the Thief in Tripoli? But the theft occured in Amman wasn't it?

tac_032.png

Body Count: 6. This room looks important with two red safes.

tac_033.png

The first safe is golden. A Master Plan with mugshots of each role player. Was a bit shocked that the Organizer is already in hiding. The mastermind is not pictured, so that's 6 of them left to catch.

tac_034.png

The second safe reveals that the alarm bypass is here in Khartoum. We're about to recover it with Murad in tow.

tac_035.png

The woman gasped as I enter the room, her hands fiddling with the alarm bypass. She quickly recovered and pressed a button that trigger the alarm. Whatever. I pressed the gun to her head before knocking her unconscious and quickly picked her up as well as the bypass.

tac_036.png

I stuffed her into the car and drove to the CIA office.

game_025.png

game_026.png

She was uncooperative. I did not have enough critical evidence to turn her into a double agent. But at least she'll be behind bars. Nonetheless, her capture would alert the rest to hurry up their plans or scare them into hiding.

game_030.png

game_031.png

I was right.

game_032.png

suspects2.jpg

This is getting hard. My leads are limited, but I know for sure the blueprints are in the Mossad office of Paris. I've already recovered the alarm bypass, getting the blueprints wouldn't hurt. That's all I have to follow at the moment, hopefully the Mossad office will provide more clues.

RK47

Patron
game_033.png

I was supposed to secure the blueprints in Paris, my only solid lead at the moment. Then things went awry...

game_034.png

The prison guards were shot down in the initial assault, leaving me and Murad in her cell. Red September wants their agent back to resume the plan. Without her and the alarm bypass, their plan cannot proceed.

tac_037.png

"They'll get me out of here" Murad smirked.

tac_039.png

I ignored her and focused on my motion sensors picking up hostiles from the northern rooms. 2,..3...,4 of them. I gripped my UZI and moved ahead to ambush them ahead.

tac_040.png

One down.

tac_041.png

More of them flooding through the next room, I tossed some grenades, taking a bullet in my chest.

tac_043.png

Three down.

tac_044.png

And that's five. Still more of them coming. I pulled back to recover but realized that this attack is a diversion, the third entry point south of Murad's cell is unguarded. They've got her.

game_036.png

I know where they took her to. There's only one Red September safehouse in Khartoum. I rushed to the car park.

game_037.png

Not now.

tac_046.png

Just one. Underestimated me.

game_038.png

Wow. What a revelation.

game_039.png

This ends here.

tac_048.png

I always carry a safe cracking kit and the camera just in case I stumble upon a critical evidence. You never know when you might find a safe in a quick raid. So the CIA agent in Rome is a double agent. Maybe that explains why the Organizer went into hiding so quickly.

tac_049.png

No more games, I have a flight to catch.

tac_050.png

And we transferred her to the maximum security prison to prevent her comrades from making a second attempt. I was about to board the flight to Paris when the Chief contacted me telling me the case is over. What? How could that be...

final_005.png

final_022.png

It was smooth sailing then...

final_023.png

A little hitch.

final_024.png

Then shit hits the fan.

final_026.png

Then all hell broke loose. The plot collapses and the conspirators vanished one by one.

final_027.png

final_028.png

final_029.png

final_030.png

Sigh.
Summary
final_041.png

I prevented the crime but failed to snag the circle behind it.

final_042.png

final_043.png

final_044.png

final_045.png

final_046.png

final_047.png

final_048.png

Final Suspects File Update
suspects.jpg

final_049.png

final_050.png

"...and that's how I fucked up my case, Angie"

"That's too bad, Max."

"Say, wanna go for a movie tomorrow?"

final_051.png

The End?

RK47

Patron
A sample of the Global Crisis encrypted message.

code_001.png

RK47

Patron
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to run the break-in missions in global crisis. They kept sending half a dozen gunmen to shoot me down once I broke into one building.

Although I did prevent the plot by taking out two of their critical personnel I was never confident that I stood a realistic chance of nailing the Mastermind. At one point I had to exchange an agent for my release when I got captured.

Korgan

Arbiter
Fucking awesome, and addictive as fuck to boot. I remember playing it for 12+ hours straight once and seeing everything in top-down pixelized 2D afterwards. Was more weird than a drug trip.

RK47

Patron
Located a Mastermind in Global Crisis and kept gettin blown away by his bodyguards...fucking demoralizing. lulz.

humorguy

Novice
Love this game I bought it in 1992 and still have it - and still play it! Never gets old in gameplay terms, and unfortunately, story-wise! Could still come out of today's headlines!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Decline of games.

Contrast Alpha Protocol, that is heavily story(anime) based. I'm suspicious MCA played this one when he was younger.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom