Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fallout: New Vegas Review

racofer

Thread Incliner
Who would be so cruel as to gift NV to someone?

Right. My bad. Anyone who has a favorable opinion of a game, which mind you is very well received on this site, is a fanboy. Got it. You, sir, are clearly the last bastion of rational thought.

Ah yes, the majestic VD in full flight. Notice the grace of the generalisation, the avoidance of the specific question, the usage of that wonderful "everybody likes it, so you are wrong" quip. David Attenborough should make a documentary on you.

The game has a bad mechanic, magnified due to the game type in question (3D 'exploration' game with a GPS...). You could have just agreed, but said it didn't affect your enjoyment of the game.

You could have lamented that this was probably due to full voice overs and the dev wanting an easy way out (due to costs of full voice over for descriptions).

You could have admitted how lazy it was to not bother attempting an example such as: 'Sheriff Jones then explains how to get to the Mother Lode and you jot this down in your logbook', which would at least make the player use their brain to some degree, encourage players to go off the beaten track, and not require voiceovers.

You could have even said that you love the quest compass system! It is your right to love such a thing after all. No need to be bashful about it. You could rightfully say that it gets you straight to the decision making dialogue dispensers so much quicker, and not make you have to navigate through the wasteland.

But no. Instead you assault the person making a perfectly satisfactory observation about an especially bad point of the game. That is Fanboyism. If it isn't, tell me what Fanboyism is just to clear everything up. You could do that, couldn't you?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Blackadder said:
Right. My bad. Anyone who has a favorable opinion of a game, which mind you is very well received on this site, is a fanboy. Got it. You, sir, are clearly the last bastion of rational thought.

Ah yes, the majestic VD in full flight. Notice the grace of the generalisation, the avoidance of the specific question, the usage of that wonderful "everybody likes it, so you are wrong" quip. David Attenborough should make a documentary on you.
What question was that? "You really don't think that isn't a fanboy trait right there?" No, I don't think so. I don't think that addressing your comments and providing some arguments and examples is a sign of fanboism.

Btw, you haven't addressed any of my arguments in several posts, so lamenting that I didn't answer your "do you think you're a fanboy?" question is a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

The game has a bad mechanic, magnified due to the game type in question (3D 'exploration' game with a GPS...). You could have just agreed, but said it didn't affect your enjoyment of the game.
I called it a design flaw several times. Doesn't count? Was I supposed to curse Obsidian and rage incomprehensibly?

But no. Instead you assault the person making a perfectly satisfactory observation about an especially bad point of the game.
Assaulted you? Are you fucking delusional? I made a polite post clearly explaining my position and providing examples. I don't consider it to be an "especially bad point" of the game. It's a minor annoyance at most. The game has flaws worth talking about, but I don't think the compass is one of them.

Btw, calling your own observations "perfectly satisfactory" is jumping ahead of yourself a little bit, don't you think? How about letting other posters determine what's perfectly satisfactory and what isn't?

Btw, calling your own observations "perfectly satisfactory" is jumping ahead of yourself a little bit, don't you think? How about letting other posters determine what's perfectly satisfactory and what isn't?

Why would I ask someone, or expect someone else to create or give validity for my own opinion? Ridiculous.

I see that you do however, with your 'everybody likes it so it must be great' attitude.

Btw, you haven't addressed any of my arguments in several posts, so lamenting that I didn't answer your "do you think you're a fanboy?" question is a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

What were these arguments that I didn't address?

I called it a design flaw several times. Doesn't count? Was I supposed to curse Obsidian and rage incomprehensibly?

Not really. You said the compass doesn't matter at all so long as other parts of the game are good.

Assaulted you? Are you fucking delusional? I made a polite post clearly explaining my position and providing examples. I don't consider it to be an "especially bad point" of the game. It's a minor annoyance at most. The game has flaws worth talking about, but I don't think the compass is one of them.

Giving melodramatic sighs, sarcastic comments and posting childish smilies is polite? And that was in reply to...what did I say about Vault Dweller in my first post in the thread? Yes, very polite. Look, feel free to do all those things. I don't mind at all. Just drop the white knight rubbish now, eh?

Instead, expend that energy on addressing the rest of the post. Again, that is entirely up to you, but don't blame me for having some fun when you don't.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Such a fuss for a minor flaw, the game gives much more enjoyment in exchange for some flaws, so yes the statement "everybody likes it, so you are wrong" makes sense here, ignore the good parts and point the flaws and say its garbage. (troll)

You judge NV from the perspective of a perfect game, there is no perfect game, compass no compass you can`t please everyone but NV did a good job compared to other games trying to please most of the players.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Blackadder said:
Why would I ask someone, or expect someone else to create or give validity for my own opinion? Ridiculous.
You present your arguments on/to a forum and let people decide if your arguments are valid. That's how it usually works. It goes without saying that you think that your arguments are awesome and that your position makes all the sense in the world, but that's not the most accurate way to determine your arguments' validity, is it?

I see that you do however, with your 'everybody likes it so it must be great' attitude.
That's not what I said. You accused me of fanboism, which is kinda silly, to say the least. I've told you in another thread that I disliked a lot more Obsidian games than I liked and wasn't shy about criticizing them. I didn't even like KOTOR 2.

New Vegas is a very good RPG. Now, if I was the only one claiming it, you'd have some basis to call me a fanboy, but the majority of people here, people who are usually very critical, people who disliked Alpha Protocol and Fallout 3, seem to like New Vegas. It's not a sure proof of the game's awesomeness, but it's not something that can be easily dismissed either.

What were these arguments that I didn't address?
You didn't address a single fucking argument, you weasel, but let's start with the first one.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 98#1404898
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 35#1405535

I hope you don't think that "Indeed, the only thing that matters in a CRPG is that the quests have 'depth' and involve making decisions. Nothing else matters. Everything else is perfectly acceptable. A quest compass makes perfect sense in a sandbox exploration game..." is - what was it? - a "perfectly satisfactory" argument.

Not really. You said the compass doesn't matter at all so long as other parts of the game are good.
Let's read together, shall we? My reply to you starts with:

"Anyway, to answer your question, the difference is obvious. When a game is shallow, its design flaws are in your face. When a game has depth, its design flaws are less noticeable."

Which design flaws do you think I'm talking about? Hint: it's a direct reply to your "why is nobody complaining about the compass?" post.

Giving melodramatic sighs, sarcastic comments and posting childish smilies is polite?
A sarcastic comment? On the Codex? Oh my...

And that was in reply to...what did I say about Vault Dweller in my first post in the thread? Yes, very polite. Look, feel free to do all those things. I don't mind at all. Just drop the white knight rubbish now, eh?
White knight? All I'm saying that I've neither "assaulted" you nor made any educated guesses about your mental facilities and intelligence level. As far as the Codex standards go, that's pretty fucking polite.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
godsend1989 said:
[…], so yes the statement "everybody likes it, so you are wrong" makes sense here, […]

Meh, let's look at the original quote:

VD said:
Anyone who has a favorable opinion of a game, which mind you is very well received on this site, is a fanboy.

There is no bandwaggon fallacy here, just showing the absurdity of calling someone a fanboy for simply having a favourable opinion of the game, which would mean a good part of the codex.

Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands
Could we not just agree that everyone who liked it (including me) is a fanboy, whilst everyone who didn't is a tw@t?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Time to unite and invade ESF or the Watch again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom