Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

CreamySpinach

Educated
I actually have had many of my long distance girl friends on Guild Wars.

The only way to get banned from that game is being outright abusive and/or cheating.

Suicide threats or just plain trying to meet a girl is fine I guess.

@Guild War Dev,

I have been following your Guild Wars 2 mottos very closely. I hope to recreate at least a scene with as great quality as you and your team have managed.

Btw is this what i think it is? I stumbled across it on google images.

constantine002.jpg

bridgescene.jpg

bridgescene0.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
Yes, the similarity is striking, a bridge over a ravine, one could almost think they had influences from Fallout 2 or some real-life location :roll:

Annie, at one point it was mentioned that the original plans didn't involve adding an option to toggle Walk on and it's just constant Run. Have the plans changed? That is, of course, if you're free to reveal such info.

Basically what I mean to say is that Walk animation will be in huge demand (by myself and my friends that I've converted from trying TOR to trying GW2 instead, among other people!), and that so far, I've seen the Walk feature added to pretty much MMOs I've ended up trying - at least of the post-WoW generation. The only thing that has been a problem is that often this is slapped on as an after-thought and generally takes a while to start looking decent.

So I was thereby thinking that since Anet treats cities as player social hubs, they would definitely want to add the Walk function early enough to make the game look as good as it should, rather than make it look like the player character has been ill for his/her early years and never figured the walking part well :)

Also, is the Player Story Neighbourhood comparable to, say, LotRO housing? In fact, is there actual player house at the moment? I've been trying to figure this out, but there just isn't enough direct info about this. Seeing as you're working on personal story progression, I thought you'd be a good person to ask this!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Wb Annie! Copy and pasting my old comments and questions to your earlier response on Personality and Personal Story:

So would you say it's the 3 stats are kinda like Paragon/Renegade in ME1? Will you be given choices more significant than the example you gave, or are they all purely cosmetic like that?

I understand you want to encourage character-based decisions, but on the other hand it would be nice if you and/or others could see the consequences of your personality/choices from your personal storyline. It is a MMO of course. So when you say that NPCs will react to the things you've done, does that mean that you'll just get some change in tone when you talk to an NPC, or will NPCs actually perform actions in the open world that can signify your choices to yourself and others. For example, if you are mean and evil, people run away from you in towns, and other players can see this happening.

I'm curious what your workmates' opinions of the Codex are, given that almost everybody else hates us (except for your hubby, of course).

Also, I noticed some of the Elementalist skills seem to need the element in the terrain to activate the skill. E.g. Water Trident was activated in a pool of water. Is this an actual prerequisite, and are there many other examples of similar skills? Even if this isn't the case, it is a very good idea for making magic skills tactical.

Angthoron

Arcane
Mainly because I had a witty retort that flowed seamlessly into my question to Annie. Alas, my eloquence was for naught.

Hegel

Arcane
raw said:
many places in Guild Wars have resemblances to real world places, so I wouldn't be too astonished if it's the same with GW2.
Yeah there was a place in Stygian Veil which looked like a vagina, but I doubt many codexers have been there :smug:

:smug:

Data4

Arcane
Hegel said:
raw said:
many places in Guild Wars have resemblances to real world places, so I wouldn't be too astonished if it's the same with GW2.
Yeah there was a place in Stygian Veil which looked like a vagina, but I doubt many codexers have been there :smug:

Pics or it doesn't exist.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Angtharon, you're generally cool and all, but suggesting - actually, even caring about Walking is extremely gay.

Angthoron

Arcane
Mangoose said:
Angthoron, you're generally cool and all, but suggesting - actually, even caring about Walking is extremely gay.

I'm used to playing on RP servers :oops:

Besides, it'll be added sooner or later anyway, so I'd rather see decent walking animation than the abomination that was appearing in LotRO. But I do apologize and will peruse the TITS thread on GD for the next hour.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Angthoron said:
Mangoose said:
Angthoron, you're generally cool and all, but suggesting - actually, even caring about Walking is extremely gay.

Besides, it'll be added sooner or later anyway, so I'd rather see decent walking animation than the abomination that was appearing in LotRO. But I do apologize and will peruse the TITS thread on GD for the next hour.
First "walking" now birds... You're getting faggier by the post. Well, at least it's tits and not boobs. Tits are far cuter :love:

Anyhow...since you're not allowed to release any details early, Annie, would you drop in and point out interesting blog-entries once in a while like you did before? It'd save me the effort of checking myself :M

Hegel

Arcane
Shannow said:
Angthoron said:
Mangoose said:

First "walking" now birds... You're getting faggier by the post. Well, at least it's tits and not boobs. Tits are far cuter :love:

Anyhow...since you're not allowed to release any details early, Annie, would you drop in and point out interesting blog-entries once in a while like you did before? It'd save me the effort of checking myself :M
Is skill balancing going to be a clusterfuck as it was for GW1 post NF? Cough Izzy cough.
These should be the questions we should ask.

bossjimbob

Liturgist
CreamySpinach said:
Btw is this what i think it is? I stumbled across it on google images.

constantine002.jpg

bridgescene.jpg

bridgescene0.jpg

That's an area in Divinity's Reach called the Great Collapse. It used to be a residential quarter that turned into a giant sinkhole, so the queen put a big bridge over the expanse.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hegel said:
Is skill balancing going to be a clusterfuck as it was for GW1 post NF? Cough Izzy cough.
These should be the questions we should ask.

These are the questions you're least likely to have an answer for though - for reasons like NDA, being part of a different design team, and simple "parental" love devs often have for their games. In general, I'd expect ranged-based classes to dominate over melee like the Warrior - frankly I don't see how a warrior can survive in a CC-based environment in PvP unless there are quick "close the gap" skills at melee's disposal - or stealth, or a huge pool of HPs.

PvE interests me a lot as well, obviously - I just am pretty aware that we won't get any answers about core mechanics until it's officially available.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Nope! You didn't scare me away. I'm just hugely fucking busy, and as said I don't like checking Codex at work. I'm also a bit more skittish giving answers to GW2 stuff vs. Dead State stuff because if I fuck up and answer something wrong it's not my boss going GODDAMMIT ANNIE, it's just Brian, and I can be like AUGH NOT MY FAULT and stuff, and yeah. Also a lot of times, I just don't know - I'm on one group out of a HUGE FUCKING TEAM (versus Dead State where I can give conclusive answers) and I dislike making presumptions that may be inaccurate. My specific arena of knowledge is the personal story, but this doesn't mean I won't give a stab at answering something else.

BUT BASICALLY. Don't know about player walking anims! I know you run faster when you've got your weapons stowed vs. weapons out and ready, which helps for combat, and I know they're working on a bunch more anims, and there's an NPC walk anim, but I'm not sure how it applies to players just yet - I couldn't say anything right now for certain. I would wager walking will get discussed at a later date, but Jesu Christo, the scale of the cities is so amazingly ginormous I can't imagine wanting a super-leisurely stroll on a regular basis. I sort of just stop and gawk, myself ;)

GW1 had a fuckton of skills, and balancing them could indeed lead to madness. GW2 has it so you can get a great variety of skills, but never inadvertently screw yourself over. With traits and utility skills in the mix, you've got an insane variety, but not so much and balanced in such a way as one is HAX and another build is SUK. It's very approachable, and yet my calculating min-max brain sees the options available and cackles with glee. It's really awesome, and very complex and flexible.

Mangoose! You have many questions. Alas, I was talked out to try some holiday beers tonight (damn you Seattle, having too many rad breweries) and it's a bad idea to answer complex questions when drinking, so I'ma pause on the personality one. As for the Codex, I think many of my co-workers don't have much truck with it, but our lead (Eric Flannum) knows about it, does NOT in fact hate it, but respects it as the hardcore set who know what they want and do not have any compunctions about saying so. When the Codex seems positive towards something, it is usually a sign that there's probably something rad going on there.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the replies, Annie. I did read them earlier but I forgot to thank you. Were you able to find out anything about the personality questions I had?

Mapman, nice interview. They sound like they know their game well, like how they give many examples of skills instead of like how other game devs just mention the same 3 skills every preview.

Tycn

Savant
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the PvP balance with the removal of dedicated heal/prot. I can't imagine it playing the same way.

Data4

Arcane
Annie, possibly a stupid little fluff question, but what the hell. I like walking in buildings. It's immersive. It gives the impression that it's a world you're experiencing rather than a movie set. GW1 had a lot of movie set buildings with no interiors. Rift, the beta of which I'm enjoying at the moment, nevertheless suffers the same problem. Will GW2 open up the cities a bit to exploration, or will they just be big, pretty looking mazes with building facades as walls?

Oh, and drink a Mac & Jack's for me next time you're out. I can't get enough of the stuff, and the brewer refuses to bottle it. :D

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Will GW2 open up the cities a bit to exploration, or will they just be big, pretty looking mazes with building facades as walls?
There was at least one in-doors location (tavern I think) in gameplay vids.

Black

Arcane
Anyone going to PAX East? They're supposed to have a new demo of GW2 there.
Maybe Annie and her tits also will be there!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom