Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What did you hate about Dragon Age: Origins?

Project: Eternity
baronjohn said:
Freelance Henchman said:
- loot automation mod: you automatically pick up all loot in a container/body instead of having to click the "take all" button, and you even get a special new skill button that gives you all the loot lying around on the ground without having to click each one.
Why not just a win game button mod?

That's setting the game to "Easy" difficulty, don't need a mod for that. :D

The loot mod only means you don't waste several accumulated hours on clicking corpses/cabinets and then the "loot all" button in the pop up window.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Stainless Veteran said:
ZbojLamignat said:
Oh, and the only impression that DA made on me (apart from "oh, it's that again, who knew), from the few gameplay videos I saw, is how after what they did in Mass Effect they somehow managed to make the characters look like a failed dr mengele experiments.

Pretty amusing.
You do realize that ME used UE3, and DAO used Eclipse engine? Shitty Aurora roots, crooked hands, etc.

Yeah. I don't know why Bioware continues to base every fucking engine they make off Aurora. Aurora was so, so bad to start with; it stands to reason all its offshoots would also suck. The only one that wasn't completely terrible was CDP's take on it, and even CDP is switching to their own in-house engine.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll list some things off the top of my head.

-Poor writing and plot holes.
-Boring companions.
-Generic, boring setting.
-The game is 90% filler combat with the same formations of enemies. If you removed all the duplicate groups there would be maybe 5 battles per area.
-The excessive emphasis on romances.
-Standard Bioware framework - 1st act something tragic happens, 2nd act you visit 5 or so hubs looking for mcguffins, 3rd act you fight the Big Bad.
-The game is too easy even on nightmare. Actually, I don't think I died more than twice on anything after I picked up Wynne, outside of the fight with Flemmeth, where I actually had to optimize equipment and tactics to win.
-Side quests as billboards :rage:
Seriously, what the fuck was up with that.

Overall, I always felt like the game could potentially get better at any time, so I kept playing, but it never did. When I got to Ferelden for the meeting with nobles (whatever it was called) I thought the game might finally be getting good, but then that turned out to be disappointing too. And the finale was incredibly easy with swarms of easily killed enemies followed by a boss who I don't think I even needed to heal through.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
People who claim to hate it but played it multiple times or to the end, and talk about it more than games they actually like.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
"People who claim to hate it but played it multiple times or to the end, and talk about it more than games they actually like."

Bullshitz.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
baronjohn said:
Why not just a win game button mod?

It comes with the game itself and is called uninstall.exe.

Yeah I know pretty lame but... It's just like that.

Stopped playing after I got out of the Deep Roads and after the meeting with whatstheirnames. Only part I actually enjoyed were the dwarf origin and the werewolf/elven dilemma. First game I bought in years, yet the only one I have not finished and propably never will.

7hm

Scholar
I liked it overall, hate is way too strong a word for my feelings towards it.

That said I never finished it despite multiple (3) playthroughs. The story dragged and wasn't able to hold my interest over a longer period of time. I usually lost interest at around the second optional big location. The one time I probably would have finished the game my computer crashed and I lost the save completely.

I just replayed BG and it certainly wasn't worse than that. As far as I can tell, it was just more of the same Bioware stuff. It was a hell of a lot better than any non-indie RPG to come out in a long time though, so ... I don't really get the hate.

Mild incline is better than Mass Effect being considered an RPG, or Oblivion in all it's horribleness, no?

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Never finished the darn thing, but got quite close to the endgame twice (would have finished it if Hewlett Packard laptops were not such pieces of substandard crap - but that's a "cool story, bro" story).

I like the dish comparison someone used in this thread - the game gives off an impression of being better than it actually is, and the impression slowly fades away as you play.

Main spots of bother:

- Filler combat. I'd say "too much filler combat", but there can never be "just enough filler combat". Filler combat is filler shit, it's there to pad the game and make it look as if it has more content than it actually does.

FFS, leave grinding to WoW enthusiasts.

And the sad thing is - there are some decent combat encounters in the game. F.i. the Revanant fight in that Redcliffe castle courtyard, the Spider Queen fight in the Derp Roads, and a bunch of other stuff. If there was less combat in the game overall, and combat encounters were as interesting as these, the game would not have turned out such a big snorefest.

- Character builds. Ayup, the only way to make the incessant combat bearable (as in - to be done with it prior to going comatose) is to go for the most powerful builds possible, and these are few in number. Sure, you can go for different buidls, but then the filler combat becomes even more of a nuisance. It seemed to have potential, but, in the end - like most things with this game - turned out to be uninspired to say the least.

At first, I found the character and combat systems mildly interesting. It's very MMO-like, from what I gather, with timed abilites, aggravation rating (or whatever that was called) and whatnot, and I've never played a game with a system designed like that before. And playing this game made me realize it's not my cup of cheap, dirty swill.

I don't mind the story since I was not expecting anything too noteworthy anyway. Same with companions. They're chliched and dumb enough to give me a chuckle or two, but that's it. They very much remind me of NWN2 OC companions. Not the best thing in the world, but not annoying enough to warrant a rant. As my gaming years go by, I keep giving less and less shit about the story or the characters in a game, heh. I balme the violent media.

- Overlong introductory areas, the famous "origin stories" + that Orzammar crap before the battle. Good idea there, sloppy execution. They're just too long, especially Orzammar. And they make the gamer feel as if he had to trudge through them in order to get to the actual game. It's like a tutorial that takes several hours to finish, unskippable too.

Good things about the game - the engine might not be next-gen, but at least it's one of the very few gaming engines that's actually OPTIMIZED to any extent that I've seen in the last 10 years. Not a single crash, and performance should be decent on most any computer that can run Vista or some other assorted M$ operating system with the shinies.

- Several decent "extreme Shepard" moments. Good for a laugh.

That'd be it, I guess. Decent effort, but no Oscar. I do not think the game's got potential too pull people in like the Baldur's Gate series - which it did even to me, and I can't even really tell why. Probably because it was not as boring, never seemed like "work", and leveling up was fun.

:smug:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh, that reminds me. I had about a million performance problems playing in windowed mode.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If I had to sum up what it is that I hate about DA in one word, it'd be its pretentiousness.

The game tries so very hard to be taken seriously, but like any angsty emo teenager it never can be.

Dragon Age just never grew up.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Crispy said:
If I had to sum up what it is that I hate about DA in one word, it'd be its pretentiousness.

The game tries so very hard to be taken seriously, but like any angsty emo teenager it never can be.

Dragon Age just never grew up.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Yeah, I'll have to third that. Pretentious garbage sums up Dragon Age pretty well. It's a game that desperately wants to be a complex and epic story of betrayal and blood where nothing is black and white... written by the people who have absolutely no idea how to do it.

racofer said:
Freelance Henchman said:
I started the new game as a female city elf (this was a fun origin featuring tasteful rape :smug: )

Time to start another character.

This origin did result in one of the few genuinely funny exchanges in the game:

Cailan: "So how are things in the Alienage?"
PC: "I killed the son of an arl who raped my friend."
Cailan: "You... whu!?"

Probably the closest they got to G. R.R. Martin's black humor in the game.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Volourn said:
People who claim to hate it but played it multiple times or to the end, and talk about it more than games they actually like.

This is what Volo tells himself to stop crying at night

SURELY NONE COULD HATE THIS TRIPE SHIT, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS MY FAVORITE THING ABOUT THE GAME WAS THAT I DECIDED NEVER TO PLAY IT LOLOLLLLOL FAGS

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
BLOBERT said:
BROS MY FAVORITE THING ABOUT THE GAME WAS THAT I DECIDED NEVER TO PLAY IT LOLOLLLLOL FAGS

You are one of the lucky ones BRO. You honestly are not missing one single thing.

denizsi

Arcane
Volourn said:

I dislike the game a lot. I played it once to the end, experimented with various choices with lots of reloads and also played all the origin stories. I just had to see every angle and every way to absorb just how bad the game could get. Honest.

To give credit where due, perhaps it's not as bad as Oblivion. That game simply leeches my soul, I can't even keep playing for more than an hour.

Irxy

Arcane
DA is a game I really wanted to love, since its the closest thing we get for rpg these days, but really couldn't. The reasong is - its boring. Boring and easily predictable story, boring characters, same for (lack of) exploration and the majority of combat.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hm, what did I hate about Dragon Age? Let's see.

Bland setting - wow, another kingdom under siege by an Ancient Incomprehensible Evil. Didn't we have this in NWN, KotOR and ME? Hell, maybe BG1 wasn't that great in hindsight but at least the villain wasn't something that's ancient and inhuman yet given enough human features to feel familiarity. It's like films where animals think exactly like humans. Sod off, Cthulhu isn't terrifying because he's ancient or lives in a city of non-Biowarean design, it's because Cthulhu is completely inhuman and dare I say it, monstrous.

Gameplay - filler filler filler filler troll filler dragon filler filler handmade encounter filler filler filler. Tactics used for every fight are generic. Pacing is broken with too much filler combat, and the locations aren't mindboggling enough to at least be distracted with something pretty.

Speaking of pretty - graphics sucked, and so did location design and size. Art direction was crappy and textures made me think that I started up NWN2 by accident at first. There's no beauty going for this game, and well, maybe that's what they went for, but you know, if you want to create an intentionally ugly world, at least work on the atmosphere, like, dunno, Arcanum for instance.

Quest design - Well, this is debateable and some quests were quite alright. Unfortunately, there were also rage-inducing side-quests from chantry boards and other crap. I know, I know, Witcher had ad board as well, but Witcher at least bothered to write up the reasons or descriptions into the ads! Chantry boards make the blandest MMO suddenly feel it's got an AAA writer working on its quests.

Optimization - FPS drops to 2 at Denerim market for no reason? What's that? Graphics details drop doesn't help? Oh well. Not being able to enter the Denerim Museum thing whatnot because game crashes every time even after reinstall? Well okay, maybe I'll just go back playing Risen at full settings, thanks for the hint, game.

Ambient sound - Made me miss the ambients from BG1 and NWN. The ambients in those games were actually quite good for a similar design. Why was this not done anywhere on the same level here? Ah whatever.

Constantly dropping my interest - yes, thanks for being a constant let-down on every potentially interesting quest. The cultist village? Even Bethesda had a better cultist village in Oblivion. Ohai, creepy kid, ohai sale--- oh, you're cultists, k, die. Pointless filler combat.

Witty party members - How do you tell them apart if they would not have voice acting and their models would be of BG1 type? I doubt I could tell Wynne and Morrigan apart and probably would confuse them with half of the rest of the crew. Yeah, I thought witty dialogues were the shit, too, but then my puberty came to an end.

What else, hmm. Oh, yes. The "Defend the village" thing with a dozen waves. Granted, I was stupid and didn't kite the mobs to the knights, that would let the game play itself for a while and probably write an angry mail to its own makers. Maybe that's how it's meant to be played, whatever. Thing is, defending against waves of bland mobs isn't fun even in MMOs, and in MMOs you sort of have the benefit of other people playing with you to dilute the tedium. And this isn't an MMO last I checked the box this thing came in.

And then there's the quest to bring in this manuscript from the Tower. You bring it and talk to the door. The door gives you 5 gold, you go away. This is the quest. I hit uninstall after this quest. I played WoW and felt its quests were good after this quest. I am very upset about this quest.

And how could I forget lockpicking? What a waste of time and skill. Random crap loot in every locked chest, hey yes, let's reward the player's thirst for exploration.

Human Noble origin was rubbish. I uninstalled the game after getting that door quest while playing that origin so I have no idea if the rest are done better but hey, I'm not going to bother finding out, either. The game is too boring and generic to try replaying.

Oh, and voice acting, especially of Leliana and other "accent-prone" characters. Overacting much?

Oh, and finally, where the hell is my player handbook? The thing that comes in the box with the game you buy and you can read at your leisure while sitting in the loo? The booklet that came with this fantastic AAA game would last me a turbo-charged diarrhea at best. Cheap rainforest-saving bastards.

Cenobyte

Prophet
1. The super-psychotic RPCs. I mean, it's usual bioware fare that your companions have some major psycho problems, but in DA they have greatly overdone this cliche. The game sometimes felt more like a psychotherapy sim than an heroic RPG :roll:

2. The weak skill and combat system. It was just not satisfying and interesting at all.

3. The plot structure. It's the same like in basically all other Bioware games except the Baldur's Gate games and thus pretty boring and predictable.

4. No exploration to speak of. Also nearly no puzzles or secrets.

That would be the biggest problems coming to my mind atm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom