Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is this game ever gonna come out?

peanuts

Novice
serious is this game ever gonna come out? i understand part time/ small staff but seriously, they've been making the game since like late 04.

Will it ever come out or is VD a liar?

relootz

Scholar
Patience, it will come out. Probably. One day. Hopefully. We will see.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It would be nice to see it out. Problem with these types of efforts is that the spirit is more willing than the ability to deliver on the promise. This leads to fucking around and fretting by the designers who rather than releasing what they have, instead tinker with it incessantly, adding and taking away stuff, until the game is bloated and buggy. They should have released the damn thing already and just worked in all their fancy ideas into version 2 or 3.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Re: omg

peanuts said:
serious is this game ever gonna come out? i understand part time/ small staff but seriously, they've been making the game since like late 04.

Will it ever come out or is VD a liar?
Kill yourself.

Being asked a question and not answering it isn't considered as lying but it can be seen as rude behaviour hence your anger, unpatience and dissapointment?

Jora

Arcane
Here are the newest (from November) comments from Vince and Oscar regarding the delay and the polishing process:

Vault Dweller said:
On the matter of polishing...

I feel that when I say we're still polishing, folks imagine us looking at the game from various angles and wondering what the hell else we can tweak and adjust - should we go with yellow curtains in this room or should we try magenta for some subtle dramatic undertones - which quite understandably makes people angry.

I'm happy to report that it's not the case.

We're tweaking quests - the most important aspect of an RPG. What we have right now is vastly different from what we had in 2006, for example. It took a long time to evolve the concepts we started with, to develop the factions and the characters, to connect everything, to make the world unique, memorable, "real" (for the lack of a better world). I can't tell you how many times I have rewritten quests, characters, dialogues because what we had wasn't good enough. Sometimes you have to try, try, try, and try again until you get it right.

As you probably know, AoD is a bit heavy on the text side. That means the text should be interesting to read and engaging. Kinda like a book.
Elhoim said:
We aren't tweaking text, changing a word here and there, we are tweaking quests, which means sometimes scrapping some of the old work (scripting, NPCs, etc.) and doing it again. Of course, we iterate it in paper many times, but some times you implement something and the flow is wrong, or a combat or situation that sounded good in theory and when we implemented it didn't cut it. Plus tweaking quests is more about the situations, interactivity, multiple paths, and general design, rather than just "tweaking text".

So basically we are re-working the old quests, which speaking plainly, sucked quite a bit. They are at least 2-3 times larger, more involving, with more choices, and Vince improved a fucking lot in his writing. Here is what Nick said about the new MG questline we did (we sent him the text draft, we are finishing the implementation now):

"Yeah, I've read through it. Cool stuff. Couldn't stop reading for a supper, even."

It's really cool, much, much better than what we had, with lots of consequences for failure inside the questline, like paths closed depending on how you treated characters in the past, different consequences based on your reputation with factions, and even with specific characters, double and triple crossing. It's about 10k words in length for the 3 quests in Teron. Trust me, it's worth the effort we put into it.

Anyway, I think you get the idea. It's not about changing a couple of words, it's about creating a world, a situation that grabs the interest of the player and surprises with the different options and paths he can take. It's a creative task, not an easy one, but I fucking 100% sure you are really going to like it.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... l#msg57957

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm reminded of Duke Nukem Forever. There comes a time when you must accept what you have, and stop changing it to aspire to a state of completion that will never come.

We aren't tweaking text, changing a word here and there, we are tweaking quests, which means sometimes scrapping some of the old work (scripting, NPCs, etc.) and doing it again.
You wouldn't need to scrap some of the old work if you did it right the first time! *zing*
Grunker said:
]"un"patience?
Nah. Would be nice to play the damn game though.
inpatience :oops:

VD's a smart bastard tho, first he's gonna give us the demo so the inpatient people shut up(for a while) that gives him even more time to work on the real thing. I wouldn't be surprised if some things you'll see in the demo are completely missing or changed from the original game just because a single Codexian bitched about it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
peanuts said:
Is this game ever gonna come out?
Probably not. Don't say I didn't warn you.

commie said:
It would be nice to see it out. Problem with these types of efforts is that the spirit is more willing than the ability to deliver on the promise.
We're able to deliver, but it takes time.

This leads to fucking around and fretting by the designers who rather than releasing what they have....
What we had wasn't good enough. Why release products of inferior quality?

SimpleComplexity said:
We aren't tweaking text, changing a word here and there, we are tweaking quests, which means sometimes scrapping some of the old work (scripting, NPCs, etc.) and doing it again.
You wouldn't need to scrap some of the old work if you did it right the first time! *zing*
Pretty much, to be honest.

VD's a smart bastard tho, first he's gonna give us the demo so the inpatient people shut up(for a while) that gives him even more time to work on the real thing. I wouldn't be surprised if some things you'll see in the demo are completely missing or changed from the original game just because a single Codexian bitched about it.
We listen to good, well presented arguments that can't be ignored, which represents approximately 5% of the overall "constructive criticism".

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
commie said:
It would be nice to see it out. Problem with these types of efforts is that the spirit is more willing than the ability to deliver on the promise.
We're able to deliver, but it takes time.

This leads to fucking around and fretting by the designers who rather than releasing what they have....

Well I certainly hope that you can deliver and that the delay isn't cause of a fear of raising expectations so high that no matter what you do, you just never seem to make it quite 'good enough' for release, resulting in the game being in a perpetual state of 'finishing' that never quite gets there. So much of it seems fucking great that it'd be a fucking travesty for it to be just vaporware or at best some half finished code floating on the net.

Vault Dweller said:
You can learn a lesson or two from The Witcher or Divinity 2
AoD: This is how we wanted the game from the beginning Edition (TM)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've seen similar comments on TSLRM-forums VD, just a friendly word of warning. Take all the time you want, I've just seen lots of people say this:

What we had wasn't good enough.

until 10 years have gone and no one believes in the project anymore. Don't want that to happen with something that looks to be as awesome as AoD.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
If it is still is offered to a fair Euro/Dollar rate and delivered with snailmail to Germany I'm going to buy two. One for me and one for a friend that said "RPG IS DEAD!" some years ago. Boy will he be surprised.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
Vault Dweller strikes me as the type who won't release a game if he still notices it has any problems.

So yeah, it will never be released.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Well, at some point he'll stop noticing problems, altho they will probably come out when the game is released (bugs, if anything else)

I said 2012, fuck it, better make that 2014 my friends. I used to use "2012" as a joke, but it seems more and more likely by now, which is, huh... well.

Ermm

Erudite
So if all content is done, so is there a hope that all tweaking would be done by around mid-2011?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom