Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LARPFEST

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
A

We need time to honor our fallen and make some much needed adjustments to attitude around here.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I won't write anything about our short-term objectives right now (or at all, because there'll probably be at least one paragraph written that I can just agree with) but I'd like to plot an overall quest that ties in with your second question, the Emperor.

I suggest that after we somehow deal with everything on this planet that's out to kill us, we should by any means necessary get off the planet and go on a sort of pilgrimage to Holy Terra. No Adeptus Astartes would just go about their business after their whole foundation gets shattered this way. This duty of theirs to travel to Holy Terra would also be their unifying purpose, the last way to keep their morale up under the circumstances.

This is, of course, assuming we don't turn to Khorne or something along the way.

desocupado

Magister
The Emperor might be dead, but we are his arm and his sword, and we are alive and should still carry out our mission. The Imperium does not dissolve itself with the Emperor's demise, but it's at this time that it most needs defense against the alien, the mutant, the heretic.

The Emperor was not a god, he was our father. After the father dies, the sons might bicker and fight, or unite. We should stand strong and honor our father in his death, as we did in his life.

For the Emperor!

EDIT: If the destruction of the pylons might stop chaos from organizing against the Imperium again, so be it. That's our mission.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
There are probably a dozen or so marines who find the sweet lullaby's of Chaos especially alluring in this dark time, and they could possibly throw a spanner in the works as the story progresses, and I still don't feel easy about both of Ezekiel's weapons are Necron weapons, this could really bite us on the ass later on.
I'm not too sure about what we should do next, but destroying the Pylons sounds like a fools errand to me. There are thousands of them all over the planet and god knows how long it would take to destroy all of them. We're not even sure what it could do other than strand us on the planet if it does something bad.

oscar

Arcane
We probably can't do anything too ambitious with 300 worn-out marines. Rebuild morale, ensure a decent flow of supplies, solidify relations with the Guardsmen and explore the planet (with the goals of finding other survivors on the planet) in the short term.

In the long term, it is the survival of man that is the most important thing. The death of the Emperor (heretical as this sounds) and shaking up of the Imperium opens up lots of new possibilities for a reformed Imperium. With suggesting a new tank design no longer resulting in a quick death men could go far. Even if swapping blind faith and superstition for logic and scientific enquiry means the possibility of Chaos strengthening, reform is necessary.

The Emperor will reincarnate and find his way back to leadership of mankind. We must remember and continue to honour the Emperor for this purpose but make the survival and prospering of man our new religion.

As for the pylons, I don't have a clue.

Nael

Arcane
1.) I believe our first order of business should be an establishment of a chain of command between the two forces: Cadian guard and Space Marines. I think it goes without saying that the Cadians understand the tactical situation best and we must defer to them to some degree, as hard as that may seem to one of the Emperor's Chosen. Any dissent should be dealt with rapidly and harshly. This is most definitely not the time for bickering or infighting. The Cadians must learn to trust their new allies, and we must learn to swallow a bit of our well earned pride.

2.) We must find a means of rapid conveyance besides land craft, both for attack and, Emperor forbid, retreat. Survival is paramount as is the ability to engage on our own terms while minimizing casualties and resource consumption. I believe our Techmarines are best suited for this task for obvious reasons.

3.) We need to evaluate our Kasr from top to bottom and adapt it in any way we can for defense against the Necron threat. Brother Ezekiel appears to have some previous knowledge of the Necrons and perhaps he should be put in charge of this task along with whoever among the Cadians knows the Kasr structure best. This is the order that I believe will unite us with the Cadians in the most productive manner which leads me to my final point...

4.) For the time being we must abandon all hope of ever leaving this rock. Not only is this line of wishful thinking a dangerous distraction but it would undermine the much needed unity between our two forces. We must learn to work as one force together in the name of Mankind alone. Here and now. Our differences must be set aside entirely if we are to survive. We must believe that wherever the Emperor has gone he would want us to strive to ensure that our race go on without him, but to remain steadfast in the pledge we made in His glorious name.

OFFICIAM AUT MORTIS + IMPERATOR VULT + NEUTIQUAM ERROS

anus_pounder

Arcane
root said:
Chef_Hathaway said:
I'm with Reject, we need to get to Terra. Everything else is secondary.

you can't, not at the moment. even if you would be willing to face the warp without the astronomican to guide you, any air/space vessel will be instantly shot down by the Pylons.

The update didn't contain the refining of the land-hulk. Secondary update incoming?

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
root said:
you can't, not at the moment. even if you would be willing to face the warp without the astronomican to guide you, any air/space vessel will be instantly shot down by the Pylons.

Hrmm, well, then, I say we go and investigate the destroyed pylon, maybe try and get inside, if that is still possible, and see if we can figure how to shut them all down. Anything we can do to stop the Necrons from wiping us out is the primary objective right now.

Yandere

Novice
In Cadia alone there are slightly under eight thousand Pylons known to the Imperium, and there may be others yet unknown as about one out of four of those known is still partially buried. Even if the Necrons were to sit down and let us try there is no way we are forcing our way out the planet.

Even if we were to force our way out the planet without the light of the Astronomican to guide us and its relative position known we aren't going anywhere other than blindly and stumbling around like idiots.

And about "closing" the Cadian gate Pylons are known to be present in many other worlds near Cadia and around the region so it wouldn't be happening anywhere soon even if we were to somehow manage to destroy all, or most, of the almost eight thousand in Cadia and then jump to each, or at least most, of those other planets, blindly, and repeating it.

So we are going to stay in Cadia for a long while.

Options as to what to do while we are here:

1. Look for the Eldar and ask them, nicely and very politely, to allow us into the webway, or to take us away by means of it, or we just force our way through and hope we do not somehow end stumbling into Commorragh while going through it. Yeah.

2. We pray to one, two, three, or all four the Chaos Gods and hope they can, and want to, offer either guidance, help, or a magical Chaos Gate to take us elsewhere. Anywhere. Fast.

3. We find a Necron ship, find how it operates, then steal it, after killing (several times) everything on board. Or one of those magical Necron gates that link their Tombworlds together, then we fight our way to it, jump in, fight out way out of whatever we find in the other side, and hope it isn't a deathworld. Yeah.

While we are at it, each of those (almost) eight thousand Pylons leads to a massive underground complex that links them all and somehow goes under all of Cadia. While nothing that went down there, regardless of it being the Deathwatch or the smallest and stealthiest servitors available to the Imperium, ever came back, it isn't like we have nothing to do but die horribly. Maybe we should explore them?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Going into a pylon -- Bad idea. Like root said, people better equipped than us - including deathwatch squads - have tried without living to tell the tale.

Nuking all the pylons -- A logistical nightmare. There are thousands of them, and we will need to procure cyclonic torpedoes for each, then travel all over the planet to set the explosives

Going off-world -- Can't be done so long as the pylons are active

Going to Terra, eventually -- Remember we're declared traitors by all 3 ordos of the inquisition. We'd probably be shot down the second we entered the sol system. That's assuming we can survive warp travel without the astronomicon.

At the moment, it seems to me we need 2 things. Information and more supplies. I propose that - once our land hulk is upgraded - we go on a tour of other Kasrs to see if we can learn anything useful and strip them of useful supplies. With luck, we might run into chaos or necrons on the way, as the chapter is badly in need of killing something to keep morale up. The long term goal will be to learn how to shut down the pylons or procure eldar/necron technology to get off this stinking rock.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yandere said:
3. We find a Necron ship, find how it operates, then steal it, after killing (several times) everything on board. Or one of those magical Necron gates that link their Tombworlds together, then we fight our way to it, jump in, fight out way out of whatever we find in the other side, and hope it isn't a deathworld. Yeah.
Suddenly the plan to venture inside a Pylon seems less suicidal...

uona

Novice
hmmm very interesting. No definite good choices.

I think we should

1. Ask the guard if any would like to join us. Based on their value we can reject them or make them scouts. We will have a medbay soon right? We can do the initial scout surgeries there. Im not so sure if we can do the full sm one.

2. Look around the planet. Keeping away from monoliths then maybe get more scouts. We can also recruit any volunteers as guard regiments/ meat shields.

3. get supplies and stuff here and elsewhere.

4. Ask creed wtf he has planned. Everything seems to point to "hope the necrons dont find us and kill us". Being the hero of cadia he should have something better.

5. Assume a more open policy toward xenos. We need information. No killing xenos on sight.

Long term goal

It seems like staying on the planet is a bad thing. In both situations, wheter we destroy the pylons or not we are faced with enemies (necron or chaos) that are effectively without number. No matter how good we are if 10000 necron warriors killed for them against one space marine killed for us is counted as a victory for them then we eventually lose.

I think we should find/build a ship to get us off planet. Then we should destroy all the pylons and leave planet. We can then spend a few years in cryosleep till we get to an area where we can warp travel.

All this assuming xenos or somebody else doesnt have a better way to get us off planet.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree that staying on the planet is suicide and ultimately pointless (at least without a major plot twist :roll:). Also, I'd really like for us not just to wander to and fro around the planet battling the evil which resides here, but rather to get involved in more global-scale events - especially now that the Emperor is dead - such as imperial politics, faction rivalry, some such.

I also like the idea of traveling to Terra.

Kz3r0

Arcane
The Changer of Ways has the answers we need, hopefunnly the lorekeeper can channel him for us.

Nael

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
The Changer of Ways has the answers we need, hopefunnly the lorekeeper can channel him for us.

Anyone suggesting heresy of this nature should be summarily dismissed with a bolter round between their eyes.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Its a pity the reclusiarch fell to his own fervor. I think he could've given a morale boosting speech. The Lorekeeper seems too morose (is that the correct word?) and even when 'whole' didn't strike me as an inspirational figure. BC Ezekiel is most def not the type to give a speech.

Nael

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Its a pity the reclusiarch fell to his own fervor. I think he could've given a morale boosting speech. The Lorekeeper seems too morose (is that the correct word?) and even when 'whole' didn't strike me as an inspirational figure. BC Ezekiel is most def not the type to give a speech.

Soooo... As I said already in so many words we should consider deferring to Lord Castellan from here on out. He knows the planet, he knows the bulk of the remaining fighting force, and best of all he's most definitely a proven leader. Our Space Marines may be tough sons of bitches, but as you said there aren't too many leaders left among us that can provide any kind of stability.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I also think our long term goal should be to get to holy terra. Unless I am mistaken, the Emperor was working on human webway travel before he he sat on his golden throne. We will NEED that to survive now that we can't travel safely through the warp. Other than that, I don't know any means of quick travel in the galaxy available to us. I have no idea how necrons travel, but we might be able to steal their technology, or the Tau tech should we get a chance. Acquiring a new means of getting around the galaxy safely and quickly is paramount.

As for short term, we should prepare and recuperate while the land hulk is being constructed. Also scout for those crashed ships(they could very well carry nice supplies). When that is done, we should try to find/construct weapons capable of destroying the pylons from the outside, since going inside would be most unwise. We should also try to recruit the guardsmen to our cause, even if it means giving up some of our independence.

And yes, we need to adopt a more understanding attitude towards Xenos. The eldar in particular should be willing to cooperate against chaos and the necrons, and their webway tech would be invaluable, even if we could only use it on their terms.

In short: 1) Destroy pylons 2) Find a way off this world, preferably with alien tech capable of quick non-warp travel 3) Pilgrimage to Holy Terra(how far is it? possibility of getting there without warp travel is low I fear)

anus_pounder

Arcane
Nael said:
1.) I believe our first order of business should be an establishment of a chain of command between the two forces: Cadian guard and Space Marines. I think it goes without saying that the Cadians understand the tactical situation best and we must defer to them to some degree, as hard as that may seem to one of the Emperor's Chosen. Any dissent should be dealt with rapidly and harshly. This is most definitely not the time for bickering or infighting. The Cadians must learn to trust their new allies, and we must learn to swallow a bit of our well earned pride.

2.) We must find a means of rapid conveyance besides land craft, both for attack and, Emperor forbid, retreat. Survival is paramount as is the ability to engage on our own terms while minimizing casualties and resource consumption. I believe our Techmarines are best suited for this task for obvious reasons.

3.) We need to evaluate our Kasr from top to bottom and adapt it in any way we can for defense against the Necron threat. Brother Ezekiel appears to have some previous knowledge of the Necrons and perhaps he should be put in charge of this task along with whoever among the Cadians knows the Kasr structure best. This is the order that I believe will unite us with the Cadians in the most productive manner which leads me to my final point...

4.) For the time being we must abandon all hope of ever leaving this rock. Not only is this line of wishful thinking a dangerous distraction but it would undermine the much needed unity between our two forces. We must learn to work as one force together in the name of Mankind alone. Here and now. Our differences must be set aside entirely if we are to survive. We must believe that wherever the Emperor has gone he would want us to strive to ensure that our race go on without him, but to remain steadfast in the pledge we made in His glorious name.

OFFICIAM AUT MORTIS + IMPERATOR VULT + NEUTIQUAM ERROS

This.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom