Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HOMM5 Alpha Screenshots

Atrokkus

Erudite
According to some Belarussian forums, there is an alpha version leak of much anticipated HOMM5 and some people already played it, and posted some screenshots. Either someone has "stolen" it or maybe the devs actually spilled it out, i don't know for sure.

Anyways, there are some very nice screenshots HERE and HERE

Seems that the basic mechanics is very similar to HOMM3, which is good.
Graphics are pretty neat, but still i don't like the style much... I liked HOMM3 graphic design more.

Found some links to download alpha, but they were broken. Keep searching, if I find a working one - i'll post here.

Section8

Cipher
At least it has stylised graphics. HOMM4 seemed so bland across the board. But hey, that's just the visuals. Let us know how it actually plays if you track down a copy.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
There is a large movie of gameplay (with designer comments) that has been avaiable for a while now. Might be e3 stuff?
Shouldn't take much to Google for.

Anyway, shows a damn sight more than these piccies (obviously). I'l try and relocate it.

Edit:

Here is one working location for the movie:
http://www.gbase.ch/pc/downloads/1921.html

I think the game is looking good.

[Oh, and I am not certain that posting links to a leaked alpha is a very good idea.]

magerette

Novice
Nice pics--and not too Etherlord-ish.
Great linkage to the euro-world. Read a neat quote from one of the main guys at Nival after they were 'acquired' by the big techie company that bought them as to how they didn't have a problem with making pc games because while consoles were the big coming thing in the more affluent sectors of the world, there was and would always be a huge market of the less affluent who would be tickled to play pc. Nice to hear, since I am definitely among the latter group.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I do, because Nival is a competent and good company. They make awesome games, especially Hammer and Sickle when I cannot wait to buy, and because you know what? I played all the HoMM and I really didn't give a shit who made them or not, Caneghman can go suck a big fat dick for all I care.

Screens are looking nice, by the way. I wonder what machine it'll take to run it...

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
I played the brief demo at the GC in Leipzig. It's definitely Heroes 3-ish. I wasn't big on the inventory/equipment/arm screens, but that was fairly minor and the rest was great and definitely evoked the right feeling. (which HOMM4 never did) Some of the touches were nice, like mouseover giving lots of data on what might happen when you send a stack to attack another stack.

I can't wait.

Balor

Arcane
Hammer&Sickle WAS NOT made by Nival.
It was sponsored by it, but it was made by Novik&Co.
You might as well say that Interplay made Fallout :)

The Exar

Liturgist
The game is more like H3 than H4. I played an Alpha not long ago. First, the units are upgredable (though I didn't find out how to do that). The battlefield is tiny - a Grffin can cross it in one turn and strike at the same time. Second, the units don't attack each other at the same time - first strikes the attacker and then the attacked creature retaliates. Third, creatures in town "come out" once per week, not daily.
In the Alpha you start with Haven town and a hero (knight). Your mission is to kill the enemy leader. You can engage in several battles with neutral creatures, who are guarding passages or some resources. I accidently attacked a large group of Monks (50+) and got my ass kicked terribly!
The Spells are nothing we haven't seen before - slow, curse, bless and so on.
The graphic is very nice. The units are in cartoon style, looking more like Warcraft 3 units than Heroes units.
The town architecture disappoints me a little. The buildings are ugly and don't look good.

Don't forget there is still much time until the final release. Pray they don't screw the game...

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Balor said:
Hammer&Sickle WAS NOT made by Nival.
It was sponsored by it, but it was made by Novik&Co.
You might as well say that Interplay made Fallout :)
Shh!

Alright, they had the intelligent foresight to publish it or hire the guys or whatever they did. :)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Second Chance said:
HoMM without Van Caneghem, Ryu, etcetc... who cares?

Canaghem fucked up HOMM4 and now he's making crap like Tabula Rasa for NC Soft. Who gives a flying fuck about him?

Nival's going to make a great HOMM5.

The battlefield is tiny
Actually, there's going to be several different battlefield sizes, unless I'm mistaken.

Micmu

Magister
Hmm... Interface looks rather 'consolistic'. I loved the clean framed interface in Homm3. And what's with those cut scenes? Are they kidding?
Homm4 wasn't so bad - as an entirely different game - it shouldn't have the same name, because it was way too different in every core principle.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I've just re-watched the video I linked up there and I think its going to be pretty damn good.
It appears to retain the key elements, whilst giving the series a shot in the arm.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Hmm... Interface looks rather 'consolistic'.
It is that way in alpha. Of course it's going to be reworked, and it actually is right now, i'm sure.

Again, it's ALPHA screenshots and trailers.

Like, I was furious at first when I saw a battle screenshot with *SQUARES*. Now I hear they are going to stick to the hexagons. Phew...

Now what I hate about Nival is their forum. Damn, just like week ago I came there, posted a huge topic about my thoughts on HOMM5, what should there be and how, ya know, usual "suggestion" stuff -- mostly just for discussion, cuz devs won't really adhere to any advices now that pre-produciton phase has long passed. I posted it as a separate topic, just because of its sheer size, but the moderator deleted the topic and moved the post to one huge "suggestions" scrap-topic. I said "well, that's not a very good idea, but hey -- it's your forum, so you know better". Then i posted a little offtop post because the previous poster asked why the post was moved, the moder considered me the offtoper and wrote something on my post. I edited it and wrote back "cmon, delete the post already."
So, summing this all up, moderator thought that I "repeatedly rebuked moderator for his actions" and banned me for 2 weeks. That was just LAME. That mod's got problems with self-worth, i guess, so he tries to use his mod-club to show teh powah. I'm a moderator myself in several forums, so I know the routine, and fuck I hate when people get obsessed with this "power".
I already sent him a PM from another acc, asking him to abolish this sanction. It doesn't matter to me if it's eternal ban, or for 2 weeks, it's a matter of principle.

Plus, the forum itself is ugly and badly scripted.
It was interesting there some months ago, cuz the Nival devs showed up occasionally, but these days they don't post there.

Now, about the things that I really want/hate to see in HOMM5 (a summary of my post on Nival's forum):

- i don't want to see wandering units (like in Homm4). This is just lame. Just how can, say, a force of 100 mercenaries really obey the player? They'd rather go on pillage spree or just desert. There always should be a hero in the force.
But wandering neutral forces is a good idea. Just not to make them wander randomly. Say, they should have certain movement patterns, territories that they consider their own, etc. Also, it would be good to have neutral heroes roaming around, and if you have a diplomacy or some other skill high enough, they might join you. It'll be better than getting a random 5lvl hero out of the prison.

- Heroes on battlefield. This is arguably the most burning question. Some adore homm4's fighting heroes, for some, it smells bullshit. I pertain to the latter, because I really hate how it was implemented in homm4, but the idea itself is not bad at all.
I think the best way is to allow player to put the hero forward into the fray, but also make so that hero could stay in the background, behind his forces, as in homm3. The action of coming forth into the fray must be a separate action, requiring a turn. While behind the forces, hero is. of course, immune to any attacks (although magic could be used, but that's tricky, so it is optional). This is ideal for mages who'd rather assist their forces with mighty magical attacks from afar. Warrior heroes, however, will find it boring to just control the flow of the battle from behind their ranks, so it would be best of them to charge into battle. I think while hero is fighting alongside his troops, they should be granted morale bonus -- that's logical enough. Also, hero might cast all his spells and use abilities while in combat. Moreover, mages should be granted some field spells, like globe of invulnerability or polymorph, so that they could do well in battle. Warrior-heroes should have a lot of attack skills, too.
If all troops are dead, then the hero automatically steps into the battleground.
Now, of course, armies (creatures) should be hero-dependent. That is, if a hero is dead, the creatures is also lost (just as it is when hero flees in hmm3).
There are two ways to implement this:
a) hero and creatures are interdependent. That is, if a hero is killed in battle, while the creatures still remain, hero is considered "incapacitated". If the creatures is crushed, then the army is destroyed, else, the hero is revived and the army persists. Also, if all creatures are lost, but the hero wins the battle all by himself, the army, of course, army(hero) persists (that is, a sole hero is also considered an army).
b) if the hero dies, then the battle and remaining creatures are lost.

I certainly like the 1st option more. It is more homm3-ish, while incorporating a new and interesting feature of hero-combat.
As far as I know, though, Nival decided to stick with classic style of 'sanctuaried' heroes, but with some additional combat skills that allow a warrior-hero to (in one animation, one turn) charge into the battle and strike a target, and then return, with no threat of retaliation; basically, it's just a magic for warriors, pretty boring, but easiy to implement and balance, so it has its merits. I'm not sure, though, if they stick with this concept.
In case of the 1st option (which I liek the most), the heroes must be nerfed so that there would be no such imbalance as in Homm4, where a single highlvl hero could beat the shit out of a dozen of black dragons.
Also, even in homm3, some heroes were just way too uber-overpowered (Solmir and some others). No wonder that on all serious tournaments those heroes are banned, and if the player hires one, he gets disqualified (even if he gets it from prison, he still needs to dispose of that hero later). So, there should be some restrictions on skirmish/multiplayer game heroes. Of course, in campaign any hero will do.

- Diplomacy. First of all, let's differentiate between global and local diplomacies.
There was no such thing as global diplomacy in homm3. You could form alliances only on game creation. Of course, for serious games and tourneys, this is the best solution. But for friendly FFAs "dynamic" alliances work just fine, and offer lots of fun, despite being overly unfair at times.
This is not the question of balance. You can just make a switch at the game creation screen: dynamic alliance on/off and let the players decide.

Now, local diplomacy. As most of you know, it was one of the msot imbalanced features of Homm3. The diplomacy skill is banned on all major tournaments, and rightly so: with it, you could acquire huge armies in a matter of minutes, because the mechanix were fucked up. There should be restrictions of the number of forces, both of the player's army and that of the neutral force's. Also, there should be faction restrictions: it is just plain retarded when a group of zombies surrender to the holy paladin's army and gladly unite with them. On the other hand, an arch-lich hero could easily bring zombies under his will, given his powers alone.

Graphic design. I'm quite concerned with it, actually. Despite of the prettiness of it, it's not as stylish as it used to be in HOMM3. I mean, it looks more like WarCraft3 now. But hey: I love WarCraft design, but ONLY in Warcraft, because it was the original concept. In Heroes, i'm used to those beautiful and grotesque creatures and cities, all very high-detailed.
So far, I haven't seen such things in Homm5 concepts or screenshots. Of course, they have time and might rework lots of stuff, but still i find it unlikely and that saddens me a bit. Well, we'll see.

Oh, alright, i'm tired of typing all this...

I wonder what ya'all think about it?

Necropennis

Scholar
I didn't like the interface and the graphics, it looks like fucking WoW...but that's way less important than the game itself(and WHERE ARE the ugly fat creatures from other HoMM?).

Gwendo

Augur
Well, I've downloaded that beta (although I suspect it's an early alpha. The readme file even mentions date 2004).

Performance and memory leak issues asside, missing sounds, etc, it already shows some promise. On the other hand, the town screen is somewhat confusing (imo). I had to really do research to figure how the hell I place garrison units in my hero's stack.

The gameplay is more like HoM&M 2 and 3 (fortunately). The graphics are good (but they really look like they need some polishing, yet), the animations very good.

It's missing various features like: some buttons in the interface don't work, you can only have one hero, you can't choose from which side to attack, in battle, units are somewhat unbalanced (the priests just outside my castle, right in the beggining can kill all my soldiers with single hits, for example, and my units and my hero's magic don't even scratch them. I guess I should leave them untill I have a bigger army with even more powerful units). But all this is mentioned in the readme file.

The interface... Let's say it's not bad, but's it's far from intuitive. Maybe after I spend more time with it my opinion will change.

Judging the cutscenes, I guess they will be using some humor in the story and characters.

Heroes of Might and Magic V.
Prototype

US/English version

June 2004

Heroes of Might and Magic V © 2003 UbiSoft. All rights reserved. Heroes of Might and Magic is
a trademark of UbiSoft.

Contents of Readme
==================

1. Description
2. System requirements
3. Installation
4. Controls and hot keys
5. Known issues, artefacts and further improvements
6. Legal Information

1. Description
==============

This is the First Playable Publishable of HoMMV specified in the list of the deliverables for Milestone #5 "First Playable Publishable".

Its primary goal is to demonstrate fully playable mission using final art of one season complete.

I guess it's very different from the current developed version, now. :)

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Looking at the 5'th screenshot first thing that came to mind was a bretonnian knight from warhammer (cover from a very old white dwarf i'm talking about here) heh....just thought it was funny.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Graphic style is shit.
It's cartoony, warcraft-style. While in WarCraft it was great, it was original design, and I enjoyed it immensely, here it is just out of place. Just look at heroes3 and see the difference. I mean, it's one franchise. There should be some design consistency. H3 had more medieval-classicism vibe in it.
For instance, Devil (Archdevil): look at him in H3 - he looked well-shaped, elegant and cunning. The teleportation, quite mediocre physical attributes - this all indicated that it was not the tank-unit.
In H5 it is a fucking Diablo clone! Big, lumbering beast, more akin to those behemoths of Stronghold. They just completely LOST the style.

Well, at least they seem to do the right thing in gameplay design.... but they already failed horribly at graphic design.

Oh, and the story will take place in completely new world (planet), far away from Enroth and all that. The bad thing is taht they seem to copy scenarios from other games of the series, and it looks kinda lame so far. As if showing Nival's complete oblivion of the existing worlds and in that ignorance they try to build their own...

Gwendo

Augur
I don't think M&M games had an interesting world, to begin with. A new breath might bring some interest to it.

About the graphics, they're looking great. More like H2 (so yes, it has consistency with previous titles) than H3, that's true, but that's why I loved it. I always prefered H2's graphic style. Colourful like a fairy tale. In H3, with those almost photo-real-criatures, they seemed somewhat out of place (didn't blend that well with the backgrounds) and out of place (in a more realistic style game, having different criatures with different styles doesn't blend as well).

Atrokkus

Erudite
Colourful like a fairy tale. In H3, with those almost photo-real-criatures, they seemed somewhat out of place (didn't blend that well with the backgrounds) and out of place (in a more realistic style game, having different criatures with different styles doesn't blend as well).
I don't know... I always liked H3's design. It was stylish and consistent. The citites were just BEAUTIFUL. Much mor so than those that we saw in preview movies of H5. Creatures, of course, could use some work, but only technical improvement: their concepts are great, you just needed to add some more details.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I forgot to say: the interface now is completely different. Those shots are from the Alpha version, as I said. Just check out the official HoM&M forum to check the screenshot someone posted there.
WEll, the shots from GS are also just demo, just to show off at the show. The interface still is quite the same as in previous E3 alpha. The fucked up square grid: are they fucking high over there in Nival??
Well, I'm pretty sure they'll change both interface and combat grid several times more before the release.
I believe, here are the videos from GC.

Nutcracker

Scholar
I loved Heroes III, but Heroes IV was a terrible game. The unit graphics were absolutely shocking...the game basically lacked polish.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I played the alpha, and I can describe it in a few words. It's HoMM III with some new stuff in it.

While the alpha doesn't really give you much in terms of gameplay as the AI is brain dead, it shows a bit about the mechanics. And those are a copy of HoMM III, except "creature by day".
Old stuff like lack of caravans, forces you to collect everything and recruit creatures instead of ordering them.

The combat is nice, the battle field expands depending on how many units are there. However the action camera that zooms in on the action sucks and I really hope they will add an option to get rid of it.

All of the units in the alpha are upgradeable, and show variety.

Music and sound FX wise it's hard to say. They probably aren't done yet and and it's more like they were added to keep beta testers from playing a silent game.

They added some weird new skills. I'm not sure how the skill tree thing looks like, you could select skills while going up a level, but you couldn't check the tree or anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom