Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect 3 - Shepard is Our Only Hope

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Still looks way better than Retard Scrolls: Cretinism.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
exe said:
ortucis said:
NPC#908: "It's a suicide mission. Fate of the universe depends on this super-urgent-awesome-mustDoNOW mission."

... hours.. days later..

Shepard: "I am commander, this is my favorite store on the citadel." - Do I get the discount now? I need this gear to save galaxy from imminent destruction you guys. Can SOMEONE PAY FOR THE FUCKING GEAR OR GIVE ME DISCOUNT ALREADY?? ANYONE???

- FIN

Well, they only killed 9 million in one week, so I guess he has time.

Writers cannot into numbers/scale :retarded:

Quoted for truth. Considering modern population levels and the power of kinetic weaponry - 9 million in a week is nothing, if they intended to convey a sense of foreboding doom.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
StrangeCase said:
The thing is, though, genuine Lovecraftian horrors don't make for good video game antagonists.

I agree. The lovecraftian atmosphere is ruined when the player is able to shoot down unspeakable horrors that are supposed to drive people insane by their mere sight, really kill them and get away unharmed. The only good cosmic horror baddies are the ones that make the player freak out and spend the rest of his life in a straightjacket. Or the ones that make you disembowel yourself.

Rhalle

Magister
Korgan said:
The Reapers are the most boring and fake "cosmic horror" imaginable.

My favorite bit in ME was how they called Sovereign's mind control "indoctrination" -- as if that were some really exotic idea, word or process. It made me ashamed to be playing it.

GarfunkeL said:
exe said:
ortucis said:
NPC#908: "It's a suicide mission. Fate of the universe depends on this super-urgent-awesome-mustDoNOW mission."

... hours.. days later..

Shepard: "I am commander, this is my favorite store on the citadel." - Do I get the discount now? I need this gear to save galaxy from imminent destruction you guys. Can SOMEONE PAY FOR THE FUCKING GEAR OR GIVE ME DISCOUNT ALREADY?? ANYONE???

- FIN

Well, they only killed 9 million in one week, so I guess he has time.

Writers cannot into numbers/scale :retarded:

Quoted for truth. Considering modern population levels and the power of kinetic weaponry - 9 million in a week is nothing, if they intended to convey a sense of foreboding doom.

Especially considering that they were trying to INDISCRIMINATELY kill everyone, rather than having to round people up, or select military targets. Basically, that puts them at well behind what current humanity could easily do if a 3rd world war occurred...possibly even without nukes. Presumably, they wouldn't want to use nukes or weapons that would similarly poison the biosphere in a way that makes regrowing of 'the food' difficult, but even so...not that impressive.

CraigCWB

Educated
Shepard is Our Only Hope...

Nah. Obsidian is our only hope. Fallout New Vegas is so much better than anything either Bioware or Bethesda has come out with lately. I can't explain peeps who claim they liked Fallout 3 but don't like New Vegas except to speculate they may be pathological liars.

So anyway, Obsidian needs to hire some programmers and start doing their own stuff. They've already got the designers, and they've already seen first hand what happens to big bonehead companies that get too ambitious. All it takes is one original game that's a blockbuster and they'll have the budget for any projects they want to develop going into the future. Fuck Bioware. And fuck bethesda too.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
CraigCWB said:
Shepard is Our Only Hope...

Nah. Obsidian is our only hope. Fallout New Vegas is so much better than anything either Bioware or Bethesda has come out with lately. I can't explain peeps who claim they liked Fallout 3 but don't like New Vegas except to speculate they may be pathological liars.

So anyway, Obsidian needs to hire some programmers and start doing their own stuff. They've already got the designers, and they've already seen first hand what happens to big bonehead companies that get too ambitious. All it takes is one original game that's a blockbuster and they'll have the budget for any projects they want to develop going into the future. Fuck Bioware. And fuck bethesda too.

Well no shit

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Trailer should have ended with
shepardrapeface.jpg

EvilIndie

Educated
Over 9000 deaths in first week alone. Wait better make that er, 9 MILLION. Yeah.

EvilIndie said:
Over 9000 deaths in first week alone. Wait better make that er, 9 MILLION. Yeah.

2150 (or whenever ME is set) Earth thanks you for temporarily easing their intermittently re-eappearing overpopulation crisis and wishes you well in the future. By the way, you may have noted that this time round, that the dominant galactic culture is SO radically capitalist that they've privatised defence up to a galactic level, with military leaders and galactic saviours providing their basic equipment out of their (now rather sizeable) own pockets). We do not doubt that you have correctly theorised that none of the races, including humans, were able to make communism work this cycle. We don't know whether we just really sucked this time around, or whether that's in there as a fasle decoy, but we're still capitalists here as well.

Hence, we present to you for extermination another 687 million people we cannot afford to maintain at a level acceptable to our current development as a species.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oaken said:
Quilty said:
How the fuck did they get away with calling the main character Shepard? It's almost as retarded as calling him LEADAR instead of Leader. I guess you can't tell a story to the consoletards unless the plot is retardedly obvious: HE IS LIKE JESUS. HE SAVES. $50 PLOX.

It worked for Jesus Christ Denton.
Well, being JC Denton is better than being Jesus Christ.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
I think nine million is supposed to be a number of people killed in London and the surrounding areas alone which would make more sense. The narrator mentions the number first and later states that there are reports from the others cities too. But whatever was the intention of writers, Bio deserves to be criticised for that line. It isn't clearly stated if it's only local or global casualties count and a viewer is obviously expecting the latter because at the beginning it's not even mentioned where does it take place while the news about the trailer naturally state that reapers are invading whole Earth.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Brother None said:
We're evil because we're evil.

Hurray!

What's the difference between this and every necromancer/dragon/warlock that wants to destroy the world and kill everything? I always thought that whole thing was a pretty pointless exercise.

Oh and I told you all ages ago that the Reapers would attack Earth in ME3. Took me all of 3 seconds to work out that plot so I should work for Bioware now....

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Azrael the cat said:
Hence, we present to you for extermination another 687 million people we cannot afford to maintain at a level acceptable to our current development as a species.

Suddenly everything makes sense. :salute:

Black

Arcane
Brother None said:

Hurray!
Pay attention to the glorious writing. They're evil because it's too deep for you to understand.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Why does the protagonist look like an evil overlord over viewing the invasion on that trailer? Pretty dumb.

SoupNazi

Mark my words, Shepard will go back in time this installment. Bioware taking the levels of absurdity to a new high.

commie said:
Brother None said:

Hurray!

What's the difference between this and every necromancer/dragon/warlock that wants to destroy the world and kill everything? I always thought that whole thing was a pretty pointless exercise.

Well, these are usually tring to do it out of revenge, or trying to please a higher being to serve them in the afterlife, or just because of the lulz. The Reapers are apparently doing it because of a rational plan, only they won't tell you.

I understand why they'd pull an Irenicus and not bother explaining their shit to you, because who the fuck does that, right, but you could at least have another way of finding out (I initially thought the beacons were supposed to do that).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom