Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cthulhu RPG/Dungeon hack

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Could it work? I don't really care if it would work or not. I think it'd be cool regardless.
Made this screenshot a while back partly using stuff I did for the now defunct Cyclopean. It would play like the EOB series, but with more emphasis on role playing and sandbox style gameplay.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
I remember some... Lovecraftarian story. I don't remember the author. But it was about some underground city, with a characteristic color of magic light, and there were several layers. Further cities were down, in lower levels, each one with a different deity, each one with a different magic light, and the further down the city was, things became more eldritch/weird.

Maybe something like Ultima Underground, but with a Lovecraftarian twist, with underground horrors or something.

mondblut

Arcane
I'd love it. Save for the "like EOB series" part. Fuck this clickfest, stick to TB like Wizardry 7 or World of Xeen.

oscar

Arcane
What happened with Cyclopean? Very evocative screenshot.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
I don't like real-time first person rpg gameplay either, but I suppose it could work if it were slow paced and with few combat occurances. Also, sanity values and effects would be nice.

I like the art and the old-school design, but the text box needs to be bigger. For elaborate dialogues and descriptions, y'know.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, EoB combat just rightout sucks.
And a game with that perspective (and Wizardry-like gameplay) without a lot of combat would be very boring, IMHO.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Make it turn-based, with good dungeon design and fun puzzles, and I'm totally sold.
It shouldn't be too verbose, I think, so fuck elaborate dialogues. Only hints, clues, directions, etc. Keyword system could work. Alternatively, I'd love to see a Daggerfall-style dialogue system.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It should be all about mystery, not excessive :blah:
Blood, gruesome deaths, you know, ancient curses, mysterious amulets altering your stats and status in sometimes unpredictable ways, occult puzzles and some gnostic Lovecraftian name-dropping.

Phelot

Arcane
Looks slick as hell. Wasn't there a thread about that picture of the city awhile back?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ogg said:
Lovecraft lore is all about combats and dungeons, every one knows that.
You could kill some cultists and mutated animals. Then after a random amount of time you meet ??????? and go completely insane. Game over.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Clickfest would be dulled by the use of the button in the center of the portraits, which would cause the party to all attack with thier readied weapons. Insanity would cause, among other things, your weapon icons to turn into a snakes or something- and then hiss in a loud annoying way when you try to attack. Villagers start to look like monsters or something.
There would be a lot more exploring wierd shit rather than touchplate madness.
Only American Indians would be able to take the 'mage' class, and although they wouldn't wear armor, they could wear blessed bead vests etc.
Fireman class would start with leather helmet and fire axe.
Obviously I've given this game a lot of thought, and didn't just throw some of my Cyclopean scraps into a UI.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
A sandbox of New England would be swell, but the main emphasis on a good Lovecraft RPG should never rest on dungeon hack.
Have to be FP though, something a'la Fallout/ElderScrolls but with...you know RPG elements.
Altough i would suggest a game with smaller scope so they could focus more on content details and not make everything horrible generic.

Also, traversal, food, accomedation etc should be more rigidly enforce alongside a strict adherance to time and events.(ehm...ok beginning to sound like sims now)

So its not just, click on map to go there, and walk around aimlessly until you find a clue, wait for 20 hours for the hobo and give him a whisky bottle, walk to cave and start shooting.

Let there be a certain amount planning and investigation.

Also..why does FP combat have to be realtime?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Sovard said:
I think it'd be interesting. See how much stuff you can do before you end up a meal or in an asylum. Almost like a Lovecraftian Oregon Trail.

*Velma has seen too much! She runs off gibbering into the darkness.

*Herman's stabwound has become infected. I fear his story shall never be penned.

Oo! THIS!

And you don't start a new game you just roll new characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom