Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How is HoMM5 AI

DakaSha

Arcane
I'm guessing this game is shit but since i dont seem to have anything else to play i thought i might "get" this.. However if the AI is completely brain dead i dont see any point

I heard it was quite awful but maybe the expansion or some patch/mod fixed this?

DakaSha

Arcane
"How is HoMM5 AI"

HoMM3 is the best and HoMM6 looks like shit

:smug:

Tycn

Savant
Which HoMM would you gents suggest as a starting point? I have only played the King's Bounty remake.

DakaSha

Arcane
2 and 3 are considered the best. Personally I like 3.
If you like to experience multiple games in a series for the hell of it do 2 then 3

edit: avoid 4 like the plague. A plague of the dick

Redshirt #42

Augur
The AI is extremely predictable, it can't focus correctly on your vital troops during combat, can be easily exploited and is pretty dumb overall. It may be more challenging on higher difficulties (enemies get extra resources IIRC) but even then it's just a matter of time before you crush them.

DakaSha

Arcane
i heard multiple times that the HoMM5 (at release) was much worse then 3's AI

Reject_666_6

Arcane
HoMM5 was shit in many different ways on release.

On release being the key words. Nowadays the AI is just mediocre (read: same as other HoMM games).

relootz

Scholar
The AI has never been that challenging. It's stupid and it cheats.

But it can still give u a decent challenge if you handicap yourself.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
AI is as challenging as it usually was in HoMM games - not very. But V has good, difficult campaigns and missions thus slightly fixing the problem. Get it with expansions, its not bad.

KalosKagathos

Learned
I thought IV had the best campaigns, believe it or not. Especially the Order one and the Death one.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
KalosKagathos said:
I thought IV had the best campaigns, believe it or not. Especially the Order one and the Death one.

I liked those too so must agree. I know however that we are in a minority here.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
3rded, IV has by far the best campaigns (well, I uninstalled V after the first combat, when I realized you had to swirl the bloody camera around to attack from certain directions for no apparent reason, so no opinion on that one).

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, the Heroes 4 campaigns were pretty decent.

Heroes 3 with the unofficial Wake of Gods addon is easily the best HoM&M though.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wake of Gods was too much everything honestly. Its good to add new features and to rebalance the game, but seriously there is a limit. And it was crossed there. WoG suffers from the same disease that plagues other good mods - modders dont know when to stop.

DakaSha

Arcane
WOG always looked very unprofessional to me. I cant "rate" it though because i was always skeptical of the AI's ability to use the new features

Ermm

Erudite
Malakal said:
KalosKagathos said:

I liked those too so must agree. I know however that we are in a minority here.

I agree Heroes IV was massively underrated. Like some faggots whined that they didn't liked that enemies could approach you themselves. I actually liked that.

Raapys

Arcane
Malakal said:
Wake of Gods was too much everything honestly. Its good to add new features and to rebalance the game, but seriously there is a limit. And it was crossed there. WoG suffers from the same disease that plagues other good mods - modders dont know when to stop.
Which would be a valid point if it wasn't completely customizable. I mean, you can activate/deactivate pretty much any feature it adds/changes from the excellent in-game menu they made. There's no way I could go back to vanilla after playing with it; even if you only have the unit experience feature alone activated, that's a big boost to the game right there.

DakaSha said:
WOG always looked very unprofessional to me. I cant "rate" it though because i was always skeptical of the AI's ability to use the new features
Not sure I'd call it unprofessional, I'm pretty sure the guy who did most of the code is amazingly talented. Also keep in mind that he pretty much had to hack an exe file to do this stuff, it's not as if they released any code. While the 'features' are sort of a varied bunch, they're also not meant to be used all at the same time. That's what's so great about it, it's really a collection of stuff that you can activate/deactivate depending on what you like.

I'm not sure how the AI handles all the different features, but the game's significantly more challenging. Especially if you enable unit experience and gives the AI a slight xp advantage.

DakaSha

Arcane
Raapys said:
Malakal said:
Which would be a valid point if it wasn't completely customizable. I mean, you can activate/deactivate pretty much any feature it adds/changes from the excellent in-game menu they made. There's no way I could go back to vanilla after playing with it; even if you only have the unit experience feature alone activated, that's a big boost to the game right there.

DakaSha said:
Not sure I'd call it unprofessional, I'm pretty sure the guy who did most of the code is amazingly talented. Also keep in mind that he pretty much had to hack an exe file to do this stuff, it's not as if they released any code. While the 'features' are sort of a varied bunch, they're also not meant to be used all at the same time. That's what's so great about it, it's really a collection of stuff that you can activate/deactivate depending on what you like.

I'm not sure how the AI handles all the different features, but the game's significantly more challenging. Especially if you enable unit experience and gives the AI a slight xp advantage.

Yeah I'm not rating on the skill needed but more on the look of it. It seems very thrown together.
Being able to select different features is a valid point.. I guess I just havnt had the nerve to really go through all of them though.. I dont like restarting a billion times.
Also I would only play on random maps and the random map generator is utter shit.. which of course is a vanilla HoMM issue

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom