Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News LambdaRogue 1.6 is darker and completes the main storyline

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: LambdaRogue

<p><a href="http://lambdarogue.net/dl-showentry.php?n=190">LambdaRogue has hit version 1.6</a>. Here's what's included:</p>
<ul>
<li>New chapter which concludes the main storyline (which started in LambdaRogue 1.4, released in December 2008, i.e. nearly two years ago)</li>
<li>New area with new enemies to explore</li>
<li>Improved inventory: equipped items don't take up space in your&nbsp;inventory anymore.&nbsp;You can also open your inventory from shop screens, e.g.&nbsp;for selling items to that trader without leaving the shop.</li>
<li>New enemy special attacks and vulnerabilities</li>
<li>New artwork style, darker than before, but more consistent with the rest of&nbsp;the game -- incl. graphical intro and ending sequences</li>
</ul>
<p>Darker but is it gritty? Oh yeah and "Savegame compatibility to all previous versions is broken". HAHAH <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">MERRY CHRISTMAS</span> HAPPY NEW YEAR.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks <strong>Mario</strong>!</p>

Suchy

Arcane
mariodonick said:
What are you trying to tell me, Suchy?
That I hate roguelikes. Each and every one of them.
Because of procedural content, randomized quests, dungeons and loot. This is what killed Daggerfall for me, even though it wasn't a roguelike.
And especially quests like Kill X of Y.

mariodonick

Novice
Oh, how I love the serious and reflected discussions at rpgcodex ;)

Erm, all roguelikes are like LambdaRogue?

For many roguelike players, LambdaRogue isn't even a real roguelike, because it has not enough randomized content (such as the quests and story).

Because of procedural content, randomized quests, dungeons and loot. This is what killed Daggerfall for me, even though it wasn't a roguelike.

This is what makes Daggerfall to one of the best RPGs ever for me :)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Suchy said:
And especially quests like Kill X of Y.
using "kill x of y" quests in your game is just being a lazy jerk, no matter the genre.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mariodonick said:
For many roguelike players, LambdaRogue isn't even a real roguelike, because it has not enough randomized content (such as the quests and story).
So it is a roguelikelike. :M

Suchy

Arcane
mariodonick said:

This is what makes Daggerfall to one of the best RPGs ever for me :)
Each to their own I guess.
I loved (and still do) Betrayal at Krondor becuase, aside from good story and writing, everything in the game was hand-placed and logical. You couldn't loot money from a dead animal.
For the same reason Gothic series and Risen are among my all time favourites.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Suchy said:
everything in the game was hand-placed and logical. You couldn't loot money from a dead animal.
you can get logical and perfectly fine results with procedural generation, it just needs a lot of thought behind the algorithms.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Suchy said:
You couldn't loot money from a dead animal.
Are you saying that animals dropping money is a consequence of procedural content? Seems like this game just has bad item drop rules.

mariodonick

Novice
I believe that many one-person-projects like this one are made in a "I make this game to the game I ever wanted to be produced, but which never was" -- and this is often not based on logical decisions, but on personal experiences and likes.

Why getting money as loot from animals, for example?

Because in the first RPG I ever played, Phantasy Star I on the Sega Master System, you got money from killing animals. It was the same in the Final Fantasy series, it is, partly, the same in World of Warcraft. I grew up with this unrealistic thing, I never questioned it, I like it. For me, it's natural in RPGs.

Why having "kill x of y" quests?

This is again the influence of MMOs.

In the end, it is all a matter of personal preference. I like both RPGs with deep and complex stories and more realistic gameplay decisions, but I also like RPGs with simple mechanisms, with a tendency for grinding, and story presented in a simpler way.

If I had to name games that influenced me in LR development, I had to list

Angband,
Diablo I / II,
World of Warcraft,
Daggerfall / Morrowind / Oblivion,
Torchlight,
several free-2-play MMOs,
several JRPGs

Edit: I also very much like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, but these games did not influence LR very much.

Partly offtopic: Sometimes, I get the impression that the people on RPG Codex only accept perfectly manufactured CRPGs to be released and forget that this is, for one person, a task that requires years of work, and that this work is often interrupted by months where more important things take place (like the daily job). On the other hand, if roguelikes in general are merely seen as a nuisance here, because they are, well, roguelikes, I won't bother you with news updates on this game any more. ;-)

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Don't listen to these popamole wankers and by all means continue to post news. Roguelikes are one of the last bastions of creative game design.

Anyway, please compile a Linux binary of lambdarogue :)

aleph

Arcane
mariodonick said:
On the other hand, if roguelikes in general are merely seen as a nuisance here, because they are, well, roguelikes, I won't bother you with news updates on this game any more. ;-)

Many people here love roguelikes, myself included. Don't listen to Suchy, he spams his bs in every roguelike thread.

larpingdude18

Educated
fuck the haters, this game pwns.
smiley_evil.gif

asper said:
Anyway, please compile a Linux binary of lambdarogue :)

Suchy

Arcane
non said:
Are you saying that animals dropping money is a consequence of procedural content? Seems like this game just has bad item drop rules.
Not exactly, rather a consequence of lazy design (which usually comes hand in hand with procedural content). It's simply the same loot script attached to different enemies of similar difficulty level. Hence you end up with rats dropping 4 gold and a rusty dagger.

aleph said:
mariodonick said:
On the other hand, if roguelikes in general are merely seen as a nuisance here, because they are, well, roguelikes, I won't bother you with news updates on this game any more. ;-)

Many people here love roguelikes, myself included. Don't listen to Suchy, he spams his bs in every roguelike thread.
what
I avoid roguelike threads whenever I can... mostly.

mariodonick said:
Nah, there's more than enough of roguelike addicts here. Me? Not my thing, I just don't play them.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
mariodonick said:
No, we'd get them from LarpingDude anyway.

betamin

Learned
Roguelikes are about survival and gameplay, Dungeon Crawl has no story or quests but fucking rules anyways.

Elzair

Cipher
betamin said:
Roguelikes are about survival and gameplay, Dungeon Crawl has no story or quests but fucking rules anyways.

Bullshit! The story (and, incidentally, the main quest) is to retrieve the Orb of Zot. If you really want to see an example of a game with no story, play Minecraft.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Forced story, darker art direction, fed-ex quests, nonsensical shit like animals dropping gold.

Can you say "dumbing down"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom