Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News LambdaRogue 1.6 is darker and completes the main storyline

mariodonick

Novice
What's your favorite RPG, Unradscorpion?

Suchy

Arcane
The funny thing with Codex is that if Oblivion was released with top-down view, on EGA, maybe minus level scaling, it would suddenly become teh best gaem evar. Even if it still had the same retarded story, terrible writing and repetitive procedural dungeons.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
mariodonick said:
What's your favorite RPG, Unradscorpion?
My favourite roguelike is Incursion these days, and concerning RPGs in general I'd say Arcanum or Darklands. Why?

mariodonick

Novice

Because with this information I have something where I can relate

Forced story, darker art direction, fed-ex quests, nonsensical shit like animals dropping gold. Can you say "dumbing down"?

to.

As you didn't explain what exactly of the story is forced (or even it's the existence of the story itself), I can at least take a look at the games mentioned by you and find the constructive core of your complaining.

;)

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
That's nice of you, I'm afraid my complains weren't really of the constructive sort, I was just taking a piss.

Just seems to me that putting a story with specific quests over a roguelike holds the gameplay down, fed ex quests and such seem to emphasis the repetitive aspects more. I've always felt that the best thing about roguelikes is the uncertainty and survival.

Of course, I hate Angband school of roguelikes, so it might be a matter of taste.

Will play the game a bit, to focus my criticism better.

mariodonick

Novice
I see.

You can ignore most of the quests -- just select to skip the Temple level and directly start in the dungeon. Then, over the course of the whole game, you only need to talk to 5 NPCs at all. Not much in 10 to 15 hours.

All the other quests are in there because many people like them. And why the "animals are dropping gold" thing is in the game, I explained already.

However, I think people who play LR are neither typical roguelike players, nor typical CRPG players -- they are somewhere in between :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom