Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Future of RPGs: Looking Forward to Sequels

Lumpy said:
"Dragon Age 2: BioWare came right out and asked gamers, "What didn’t work?" in Dragon Age: Origins when it started development on Dragon Age II, and the feedback the team received from this question directly influenced how they approached every aspect of the sequel. For starters, the game sports an improved graphics engine and art style that will give the game a much grittier tone."
What a fucking cop out. Of course a sequel is going to have better graphics - how does that constitute "listening to the fans"?

Unless you've also got some control mechanism to ensure that you've got a representative sample, you might run into the 'New Coke' problem: that you're taking instructions from the people who DIDN'T like your (very successful) original product. I didn't like the game, and didn't even come close to finishing it, but it was (if not mistaken) their best-selling effort despite some hideous marketing that seemed designed to hide any tactical elements (almost like they were embarassed that they were selling something that looked like an rpg now they'd moved on to Mass Effect).

I'm wondering whether they had a scenario where, say, 70% of their fanbase liked the game and so didn't complain, with 10% wanting something Codexian and 20% wanting something more actiony, making the 'moar action, less options' crowd seem like they were 2/3 of the fanbase?

Not that they're in any danger of failing to sell mega-copies (the only product I could envisage having even a small possibility of flopping is their mmorpg - a lot of their fans have no interest in mmorpgs, and won't want to buy it if is the WoW-clone that it appears to be, whereas the mmorpg scene aren't going to buy it just because 'holy shit it's Bioware': they've got Blizzard for that). I wouldn't be surprised if sales are lower than DA1 though.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Hegel said:
Volourn said:
No, because Oblivion is a shitty RPG that lacks role-playing.

But, I'd argue that KOTOR is more of a RPG than BG is though BG is the better game.

Or TOEE is a better RPG than IWD even though I liked IWD more.
Oh no! Not this again.
Why? It's always fun to see Volly failing....
...to make a distinction between Role Playing in a Game and a Role Playing Game.

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
Dragon Age 2: BioWare came right out and asked gamers, "What didn’t work?" in Dragon Age: Origins when it started development on Dragon Age II, and the feedback the team received from this question directly influenced how they approached every aspect of the sequel. For starters, the game sports an improved graphics engine and art style that will give the game a much grittier tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMkrk2MJ ... re=related

waywardOne

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
art style that will give the game a much grittier tone.
moar grit? i'm sold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom