Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex cured me

bas2357

Novice
Just wanted to say thank you.

TESIV:Oblivion was my first RPG and first PC game. I loved it.
I played Oblivion, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1/2 and Fallout 3 for hundreds of hours. I used to think that Bioware and Bethesda were RPG masters. I even had all these games in my "top 10 games ever" list.

And then, half a year ago, I turned 18. I started playing Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate 1/2, TESIII:Morrowind and some other old RPG's.

I found this website a few days ago. I read a lot of reviews and I, one of the biggest Bethesda/Bioware cocksuckers ever, one of the biggest Oblivion/Fallout3/DragonAge/MassEffect fan boys ever, agreed with it all.

So thank you RPG Codex for curing me. I now realize that Bioware creates dating sims. That Bioware and Bethesda create casual light-RPG's for kids. That the writing is crap.

I shall never buy a Bioware/Bethesda game again. I deinstalled Steam. I talked with some "internet friends" about this, and all they could say is: "RPGCodex are a bunch of haters who love old RPG's way too much" and "I'll stick to my opinion, I like Bethesda/Bioware" (after I showed them some reviews). So I said goodbye to them.

I feel like I've been cured of a disease. Bethesda/Bioware are sure good at hiding the fact that they don't give a damn about their old fanbase. I guess 99% of all Bioware/Bethesda fans started playing games around 2006 and don't have a gf/bf in real-life so that's why they like these dating sims.

Thanks again.
:love:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
thankyourapists.jpg

hanssolo

Educated
Assuming this isn't Drog,
:thumbsup:
Good for you, bro. You're halfway there. Now play Ultima VII and Dark Sun.

bas2357

Novice
hanssolo said:
Assuming this isn't Drog,
:thumbsup:
Good for you, bro. You're halfway there. Now play Ultima VII and Dark Sun.

Who's Drog?

Ultima VII and Dark Sun? Damn never heard of them. I'll check them out.

bas2357

Novice
Crispy said:
You'll come back around.

I would predict some time around, oh, let's say 11/11/11.

TESV? Actually I'm not excited about TESV at all. I definitely won't buy it or even look at the news/videos/screenshots.

Maybe I'll read the RPGCodex review but that's it. I don't have that much time for gaming anyway, I play ArmA 2 a few hours a week and some old-school games that I've missed :? and that's it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
bas2357 said:

I played Oblivion, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1/2 and Fallout 3 for hundreds of hours. I used to think that Bioware and Bethesda were RPG masters. I even had all these games in my "top 10 games ever" list.

And then, half a year ago, I turned 18. I started playing Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate 1/2, TESIII:Morrowind and some other old RPG's.

I found this website a few days ago. I read a lot of reviews and I, one of the biggest Bethesda/Bioware cocksuckers ever, one of the biggest Oblivion/Fallout3/DragonAge/MassEffect fan boys ever, agreed with it all.

So thank you RPG Codex for curing me. I now realize that Bioware creates dating sims. That Bioware and Bethesda create casual light-RPG's for kids. That the writing is crap.

I shall never buy a Bioware/Bethesda game again. I deinstalled Steam. I talked with some "internet friends" about this, and all they could say is: "RPGCodex are a bunch of haters who love old RPG's way too much" and "I'll stick to my opinion, I like Bethesda/Bioware" (after I showed them some reviews). So I said goodbye to them.

I feel like I've been cured of a disease. Bethesda/Bioware are sure good at hiding the fact that they don't give a damn about their old fanbase. I guess 99% of all Bioware/Bethesda fans started playing games around 2006 and don't have a gf/bf in real-life so that's why they like these dating sims.

Thanks again.

What does Steam have to do with Beth/Bio?

Anyway here's the list of cRPGs for you to play (if you haven't already):
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Deus Ex
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Gothic
Gothic 2
Gothic 2 Night of the Raven
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Neverwinter Nights: Witch's Wake
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate
Planescape Torment
Risen
The Witcher
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

If you like and complete at least most of them then you can call yourself a monocle member of prestigious RPGCodex.

If you won't like them then you can get the fuck out of here.

After them you may move to roguelikes and goldbox games

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Sounds like you miss a spine if you change your opinions that drastic this easy. Might want to look into it. I'd rather have one guy who has shit taste but defends it than ten tools who just want to run with the crowd.

bas2357

Novice
Trash said:
Sounds like you miss a spine if you change your opinions that drastic this easy. Might want to look into it. I'd rather have one guy who has shit taste but defends it than ten tools who just want to run with the crowd.

Change it that easy? It wasn't that easy you know ;)
I was already very disappointed when I saw that my favorite game series turned casual: Ghost Recon AW, Rainbow Six Vegas, Splinter Cell Conviction, Command&Conquer, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2 and some others.
I also haven't played the games I mentioned (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age) for almost a year. I'm older now and when I look back at those games, I realise that they aren't that good (as in: decent games, but crappy RPG's).
So it took almost half a year for my opinion to change like this ;). Thanks to RPGCodex I learned that I'm not the only person with this opinion (until now most guys I talked to loved all those games) and I finally read some reviews of Oblivion/Fallout3/etc. that actually contained criticism.

Konjad said:

Deus Ex
Fallout
Fallout 2
Gothic
Gothic 2
Planescape Torment
Risen
The Witcher

If you like and complete at least most of them then you can call yourself a monocle member of prestigious RPGCodex.

Will do :salute: thanks for the list.

EDIT:

Btw I've already played Deus Ex (great game!), The Witcher, Fallout, Fallout 2 and Neverwinter Nights 1 + 2.

bas2357

Novice
It annoys me that there's nothing we can do about it though.
I mean, I've seen some Codex guys trolling on the Bioware forums, but that's about it.
Wish we could exterminate the Bioware/Beth fans or show them the light.

RatFink

Educated
there are always mail bombs

start with your "internet friends"

Nael

Arcane
bas2357 said:

Thanks again.

r130043_514342.jpg

Sup, Kim?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
RatFink said:
there are always mail bombs

start with your "internet friends"
Fuck that, as soon as we get that tactical-nuke we send KC to Maryland so he can sacrifice himself.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Trash said:
Sounds like you miss a spine if you change your opinions that drastic this easy.

Being convinced of your personal convictions being wrong and having the ability to openly admit that you erred is a very rare and very valuable human trait. :salute:

Allthough in this case it's probably a troll. You just don't have these people on the internets. :x

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Konjad said:
bas2357 said:

Thanks again.

Deus Ex
Fallout
Fallout 2
Gothic
Gothic 2
Planescape Torment
Risen
The Witcher

And many of them are on steam! :)

ElectricOtter

bas2357 said:
It annoys me that there's nothing we can do about it though.
I mean, I've seen some Codex guys trolling on the Bioware forums, but that's about it.
Wish we could exterminate the Bioware/Beth fans or show them the light.
The ESF are actually beginning to get more intelligent and (gasp!) form their own opinions. Bioware Social Forums are beyond hope, though.

Also, welcome to the Codex. Stay out of GD if you value your sanity.

EDIT: adding to that list of games, check out http://spiderwebsoftware.com/. Try Exile, Geneforge, and Nethergate and see if it sparks your interest.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Just play what the fuck you want.
It's stupid to say I won't play any Bioware/Bethesda games again just because I found an edgy internet forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom