Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex cured me

A drog alt of the blobertian persuasion.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I remember once I liked a lot of games and really enjoyed myself playing them. Now I don't like anything and find myself increasingly angry and depressed. I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate that.

tindrli

Arcane
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Deus Ex
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Gothic
Gothic 2
Gothic 2 Night of the Raven
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Neverwinter Nights: Witch's Wake
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate
Planescape Torment
Risen
The Witcher
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

just thinking and god damn... how many years.. and how many good games??.. shit!!!!

denizsi

Arcane
Trash said:
Sounds like you miss a spine if you change your opinions that drastic this easy. Might want to look into it. I'd rather have one guy who has shit taste but defends it than ten tools who just want to run with the crowd.

What's wrong. Trash? Why are you so jealous of youth?

hanssolo

Educated
Trash said:
Sounds like you miss a spine if you change your opinions that drastic this easy. Might want to look into it. I'd rather have one guy who has shit taste but defends it than ten tools who just want to run with the crowd.

That's a shit opinion, Trash. I think you should change it.

Konjad said:
bas2357 said:
Just wanted to say thank you.

TESIV:Oblivion was my first RPG and first PC game. I loved it.
I played Oblivion, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1/2 and Fallout 3 for hundreds of hours. I used to think that Bioware and Bethesda were RPG masters. I even had all these games in my "top 10 games ever" list.

And then, half a year ago, I turned 18. I started playing Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate 1/2, TESIII:Morrowind and some other old RPG's.

I found this website a few days ago. I read a lot of reviews and I, one of the biggest Bethesda/Bioware cocksuckers ever, one of the biggest Oblivion/Fallout3/DragonAge/MassEffect fan boys ever, agreed with it all.

So thank you RPG Codex for curing me. I now realize that Bioware creates dating sims. That Bioware and Bethesda create casual light-RPG's for kids. That the writing is crap.

I shall never buy a Bioware/Bethesda game again. I deinstalled Steam. I talked with some "internet friends" about this, and all they could say is: "RPGCodex are a bunch of haters who love old RPG's way too much" and "I'll stick to my opinion, I like Bethesda/Bioware" (after I showed them some reviews). So I said goodbye to them.

I feel like I've been cured of a disease. Bethesda/Bioware are sure good at hiding the fact that they don't give a damn about their old fanbase. I guess 99% of all Bioware/Bethesda fans started playing games around 2006 and don't have a gf/bf in real-life so that's why they like these dating sims.

Thanks again.
:love:

What does Steam have to do with Beth/Bio?

Anyway here's the list of cRPGs for you to play (if you haven't already):
Deus Ex
Fallout
Fallout 2
Gothic
Gothic 2
Planescape Torment
Risen
The Witcher

If you like and complete at least most of them then you can call yourself a monocle member of prestigious RPGCodex.

If you won't like them then you can get the fuck out of here.

After them you may move to roguelikes and goldbox games

I second this list: the best thing about these as an introduction list is that they aren't real oldies/golden-age stuff (like the Ultimas, Wizardries etc - great games, but not what I'd suggest to someone straight off from Oblivion etc) - they've all got decent interfaces, they're all around the same time as FO-BG2/later, and a few (Vampire: Bloodlines being the standout out these) are downright newschool - Bloodlines, New Vegas and The Witcher (I'd suggest them in that order).

Planescape: Torment runs off the same engine as BG2 (was in between the two BG games, so the interface is slightly less developed but pretty similar) and is usually considered the best-written crpg if you're after a game that focuses on story (like the modern bioware stuff) but done so well that it's impossible to play the Bioware games afterwards. If you want good writing, there's really nothing on the same level as it in crpgs.

FO/FO2 get lots of love around here - mostly the first one for having a much more cohesive world, but there's plenty of folks who prefer the 2nd as well (through its sheer size it's a got a lot more of a sandbox feel to it, and is probably more fun than the first, at the cost of cohesion and setting).

My personal favourite - well, equal with PS:T depending on the day - is Deus Ex. It's a shooter-crpg and easy as hell to pick up, so long as you don't expect to be able to walk in blasting. Remember at the start of the game you're an ordinary cop (for the UN coalition on terror - game came out in 2000, so sep11 hadn't happened yet, but the fact that it opens shortly after terrorists blow up the statue of liberty and....well you'll see but it's freakishly topical considering what happened in the years after itw as released), so you don't really want to get into open gun-fights. Don't engage more than one enemy, always use the cattle-prod or bar to knock them out silently rather than making noise and wasting bullets, and if you have to shoot (and can't use the silent tranq darts) make sure you can take him down quickly from cover. Later, you'll get the opportunity to boost your skills and install a whole range of biomodifications that will (if you choose a combat build) enable you to play it like a shooter, or instead to augment your running/jumping or invis or...etc.

Data4

Arcane
Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Deus Ex
Fallout
Fallout 2
Gothic
Gothic 2
Planescape Torment
Risen
The Witcher

How dare you put Bloodlines at the very end of this list? :x

bas2357 said:
TESV? Actually I'm not excited about TESV at all. I definitely won't buy it or even look at the news/videos/screenshots.

But what kind of Codexer will you be then?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Multidirectional said:
Deus Ex
Fallout
Fallout 2
Gothic
Gothic 2
Planescape Torment
Risen
The Witcher

How dare you put Bloodlines at the very end of this list? :x

bas2357 said:
TESV? Actually I'm not excited about TESV at all. I definitely won't buy it or even look at the news/videos/screenshots.

But what kind of Codexer will you be then?

The list is A-Z order... :D

tennishero

Novice
after you finish with the baby rpg made for dummies (PC Crpg shit)

you can move onto the real RPG goodness

ff7sephwin_2.jpg

Final_Fantasy_VI_Final_Kefka.png

gfs_50281_1_3.jpg

600full-final-fantasy-x-screenshot.jpg

LO_SS270--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Multidirectional said:
Jools said:
The list is A-Z order... :D

Not even alphabet order can justify putting The Witcher above Bloodlines. No way.

I have to say, both games stand on par at the top of my chart. I love both for different reasons and really can't pick one over the other. You should be way more offended by FNV being above both of them... :D

Vulee

Novice
Jaesun said:
4 points for what?

Well, I'm an optimist, so I believed the Drog for a brief moment.
Plus, he practically shat on himself with the last sentence. :smug:

Jools said:
You should be way more offended by FNV being above both of them... :D

I don't think so. I wouldn't put FNV above Bloodlines but it's definitely better than The Witcher for me. It has way less charm than Bloodlines but it is better as RPG in a lot of ways. Regardless, Bloodlines remains my most played RPG, I played it a lot more than seven times. Maybe because it was my first proper RPG game.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Multidirectional said:
Jools said:
You should be way more offended by FNV being above both of them... :D

It [FNV] has way less charm than Bloodlines but it is better as FPS in a lot of ways.

Fixed.

Jests apart and out of curiosity, what do you dislike so much about The Witcher? I am biased because I also am a big fan of the books, but I found the game to be excellent.

Jools said:
Jests apart and out of curiosity, what do you dislike so much about The Witcher?

I didn't dislike it, I enjoyed it actually. I just didn't like it as much as these other games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom