Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Sounds Of Skyrim

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Luzur said:
commie said:
Here's a thought: instead of using up most of the VO budget on celebrity voices which are still badly directed, bored, and have nothing to work with, why not actually use the budget for good writers and a multitude of unknown but decent voice actors?

but then they cant brag about how they got George Clooney voicing the beggars.

It's pathetic how they have to brag about such things as if that's the only thing they've got going for a game. In the past there were know actors doing VO and even live action and often they were hardly noted at all. Patrick Stewart did the intro of Lands of Lore, yet Westwood didn't crap on about it non stop like Bethesda did. Fallout didn't go on about Perlman, yet Bethesda made a big deal there too.

It did strike me as odd replaying old small production games and seeing A list actors take part in them(famous even at the time).

It's unlikely but maybe as videogames became big business these actors started charging more for their performance making their appearance worth bragging about? Maybe with the new emphasis on marketing they've realized just how important celebrity endorsements are?

It's not like it's just Bethesda talking about it, in mainstream forums or youtube you'd see people raving about picard being in the game, so it seems to work.

I'm willing to bet however that celebrity voice actors are picked based on who the devs want to meet/are fans of rather than who would be best for the game/sales.

DraQ

Arcane
bhlaab said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
a poor voice actor in a key role can ruin the immersion, pulling players out of the excitement of the game.

Oh, can it Bethesda? Thanks for the sagely advice
This.
Was there any piece of VA that wasn't atrocious shit in Oblivious?

Also, it would help if the AI didn't see fit to taunt you in a fight with a "get out of here stalker" frequency.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Oh great...they are going to spend all the money on celebrity voice actors and give a damn about mechanics.

Sad He-Man

Educated
Hello codex, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because bethesda softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the bloom that was planted
In my brain still remains
Within the sound of Skyrim

sah

Liturgist
Sad He-Man said:

Beautiful. I shed a tear and then pooped in my pants a little.

FatCat

Educated
Skyrim will devour earth upon it's release than digest and shit it out and we will live in fucking Tamriel and 99% of codexers will be fucking annoying Bosmer >_>

DraQ

Arcane
poocolator said:
Sad He-Man said:
pffft
the soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbBLKet ... re=related
This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
:x

FatCat said:
Skyrim will devour earth upon it's release than digest and shit it out and we will live in fucking Tamriel and 99% of codexers will be fucking annoying Bosmer >_>
Shouldn't we canonically turn into orcs instead, then?

Hell, maybe we will get to persuade the emperor's agent to hand over the totem controlling the Numidium and make it stomp beth's HQ?

Skyrim's last quest won't have a quest compass so that people can claim they've played it over 9000 hours but still haven't beat the game.

circ

Arcane
Haha Soule you loller you. Fuck your Youtube profits. The minute I hear Soule not recycling the same fucking tune, I might give a shit. Probably not, actually, but oh well. What the fuck do profits have to do with creativity? It's been proven in study after study that creativity doesn't spawn from monetary incentives shit for cocks.

Drakron

Arcane
Dont get mad, his argument does not hold water and you just feel stupid when you start to deconstruct the argument.

Also he is using WordPress that right now IS FREE, also with the wordpress.com domain that means its being hosted FOR FREE as well ... maybe WordPress should be paying as he is creating content if we lived on his bizarre world were hosting companies have to pay the people that clog up their servers with useless data.

roll-a-die

Magister
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
Neither song sounds anything like the Skyrim theme. The bar for "ripping off" seems to be pretty damn low. As in "there's sound coming out so it was ripped off" damn low. :smug:

...The skyrim theme/melody is the same from oblivion/morrowind, you're missing the point.

Todd saw LOTR as the popular notion his audience had of a fantasy setting at the time and tried to make it so oblivion players would connect the two, have something familiar to them in the game.

Now he's making a skyrim game, he's going to again try to make the game live up to the mainstream's idea of nordic fantasy, that's Beowulf and it's reflected in the main theme that now has those deep drums, horns and macho choir, much like the memorable theme and intro to the most popular nordic fantasy movie in recent years(if not ever).

I disagreed with roll-a-die's notion/joke that it was inspired from an obscure music segment from an obscure movie that few people outside communisthan ever watched, especially considering that the whole macho choir+drums+horns isn't original in the least.
You know, I was kind of making that same point. It was kind of, a "GEE hasn't that been done before, pretty much everywhere," comment. Masked in a bethesda is ripping off things. Along with a link adding to my hipster cred, by linking both a semi obscure band, and an obscure movie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom