Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is 25 hours long

larpingdude18

Educated
Deus Ex: Human Revolution producer David Anfossi has told the latest issue of PC Gamer that the first-person role-playing game sequel, now playable from start to finish, takes over a day to complete.

“So far with them playing about six hours every day, most of them don’t complete the game,” he told the magazine.

Anfossi said he’s pleased with the depth of strategy found in Human Revolution, telling PC Gamer:

“The ones that are more casual gamers, who are used to more ‘corridor, cut-scene, corridor, cut-scene’ type of gameplay – they play it that way for a while. Then suddenly, there’s this new world that opens to them, and they start getting a bit more creative.”
http://scrawlfx.com/2011/01/deus-ex-hum ... hours-long

bonescraper

baronjohn said:
I wonder if this will be a piece of shit like Bioshock.
Hmm, Desu Ex: Orange Revolution has dialogue trees, C&C, quests, inventory management... It may turn out to be a piece of shit, but not LIKE Bioshock.

baronjohn

Cipher
bonescraper said:
Hmm, Desu Ex: Orange Revolution has dialogue trees, C&C, quests, inventory management... It may turn out to be a piece of shit, but not LIKE Bioshock.
A lot of things were said aboot Bioshock too, and they turned out to be vile lies.

ortucis

Prophet
I have tried finishing BioShock over and over but I always end up quitting half-way through. I just don't find the setting interesting.

Actually, the worst part was the controls, the FOV and the overall combat. It just ruined the whole experience. It is shocking cause SWAT4 is my most favorite game which I have been playing (MP) since the day of its release. I am just shocked at how the same developers managed to screw up the PC port this bad.

As for DX:HR.. lets wait and watch (but third person is still a pointless addition, just to show off their million dollar poly model. The gameplay video I saw was just generic as far as action was concerned, nothing new. What I DID like was the busy market and dialogue tree bit before combat.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Hmmm, more hours in a strongly choice based game isn't a good indication.

It just means that less time was spent in actually granting meaningful choice.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I believe DX1 took me far longer to complete.

Then again, I do like being an explorefag and going through every corner of the levels.

bonescraper

baronjohn said:
bonescraper said:
A lot of things were said aboot Bioshock too, and they turned out to be vile lies.
Great, but i'm talking about what i've seen so far. Still, it doesn't mean the game is going to be awesome. Ass Effect has all of the above and still it's a piece of stinking shit. But DX3 isn't a Bioshock copy.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
For some reason, I have a very bad feeling about this. As if they are only releasing the game because they saw how much money a sci-fi shooter (like ME) can gross them...

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Since developers pretty much always lie about how much content is in their game, I'll estimate that the game is more like 20 hours. With that said, it would be long enough. Deus Ex was longer but the game could have nixed a few levels.

Doesn't sound good. I would give them the benefit of the doubt that it is longer when you look at multiple paths and playthroughs, but I am not convinced that it is in any way comparable to what the style of the game should provide.

ortucis

Prophet
I tend to poke around every corner when playing the game for the first time so it should probably last 25-30 hrs for gamers like me. Good enough.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I don't remember DX ever taking me much over 20 hours, and I'm pretty thorough. To be honest, I can't remember the last non-RPG that took me over 15-20, strategy timesinks excluded.

That said, when a developer gives an estimated playtime, as a general rule you cut it by at least half, and then only if you're feeling particularly generous. I'm guessing 12 hours max; these guys talk a good game (except when they slip up and say DX1 was shit and they don't understand lemon-lime), but I've seen nothing to suggest they can really follow through on it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
moar like 25 hours schlong amirite

But anyway, I don't care if it's 10 or 35 hours as long as it's good and the replayability is high. On the other hand, what jimbob said.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Did that guy just pull 25 hours out of his ass? Because if it taking more than one day to finish is the only criteria, it could be as short as 10.

baronjohn said:
bonescraper said:

Like what? I could never get myself to finish the game, but I remember them saying straight up that Bioshock was a shooter, not a crpg. They made comparisons to System Shock 1, but never to System Shock 2. I remember them saying that there would not be an inventory, and they never ever pretended that there would be crpg-style quests or dialogue trees.

Unless you're counting things that are clearly subjective descriptions, like calling it 'groundbreaking' or 'immersive', or 'challenging, tactical gameplay', which is just silly and not comparable to this - OBVIOUSLY that kind of stuff is going to range from exageration to lies, that's why they use unquantifiable terms. For example, they'll say that you can use the environment to produce special effects from your plasmids - they don't say how often you will be able to do it, or how many combinations will be available, it's left as a vague hype point. Insofar as it can be quantified into a claim about mechanics, all it says is that there will be some points where you can use a plasmid on an object to produce a different effect to that used on a different object.

Listing specific MECHANICS is a different thing altogether. I don't remember any misleading statements about the mechanics. What were they?

IronicNeurotic said:

What meaningful choices did Deus Ex have?

I've played the game seriously around 20 times, and all I remember was a choice at the very end which alters the end cinematic, and a bunch of purely cosmetic choices that did nothing more than trigger an extra line of dialogue, or at most cause a different NPC to say the same dialogue that would otherwise have been said by a different character. Oh, and you can skip or delay a few fights, in each instance without creating any significant extra content or dialogue.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty much more favourite game. But that's because it had superb maps with multiple points of entry, multiple viable tactics, and great room for emergent behaviour (Specter has commented on occasion that his favourite thing about the game was the way that lots of the various approaches, and even some of the 'choices' (like running from Hermann rather than fighting / killphrasing him) were never planned by the development team, but by making the map progression triggers all based on things other than killing someone, players were able to find unexpected ways of getting to the triggers.)

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Azrael the cat said:
IronicNeurotic said:

I've played the game seriously around 20 times, and all I remember was a choice at the very end which alters the end cinematic, and a bunch of purely cosmetic choices that did nothing more than trigger an extra line of dialogue, or at most cause a different NPC to say the same dialogue that would otherwise have been said by a different character. Oh, and you can skip or delay a few fights, in each instance without creating any significant extra content or dialogue.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty much more favourite game. But that's because it had superb maps with multiple points of entry, multiple viable tactics, and great room for emergent behaviour (Specter has commented on occasion that his favourite thing about the game was the way that lots of the various approaches, and even some of the 'choices' (like running from Hermann rather than fighting / killphrasing him) were never planned by the development team, but by making the map progression triggers all based on things other than killing someone, players were able to find unexpected ways of getting to the triggers.)

You've also made that post around 20 times. Frustrating, isn't it?

Well, I can finish DX in less than 15 hours, tops, and taking my time exploring everything too. 25 hours for a first playthrough sounds fine.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Azrael the cat said:
IronicNeurotic said:

I've played the game seriously around 20 times

When you play a game so many times, you tend to be critical and biased for the sole reason that you know what is coming, and what's coming bores you.

baronjohn

Cipher
Azrael the cat said:
baronjohn said:
bonescraper said:

Like what? I could never get myself to finish the game, but I remember them saying straight up that Bioshock was a shooter, not a crpg. They made comparisons to System Shock 1, but never to System Shock 2. I remember them saying that there would not be an inventory, and they never ever pretended that there would be crpg-style quests or dialogue trees.

Unless you're counting things that are clearly subjective descriptions, like calling it 'groundbreaking' or 'immersive', or 'challenging, tactical gameplay', which is just silly and not comparable to this - OBVIOUSLY that kind of stuff is going to range from exageration to lies, that's why they use unquantifiable terms. For example, they'll say that you can use the environment to produce special effects from your plasmids - they don't say how often you will be able to do it, or how many combinations will be available, it's left as a vague hype point. Insofar as it can be quantified into a claim about mechanics, all it says is that there will be some points where you can use a plasmid on an object to produce a different effect to that used on a different object.

Listing specific MECHANICS is a different thing altogether. I don't remember any misleading statements about the mechanics. What were they?
I don't remember specific lies, but it's probably noted somewhere if you search for it. Gaylord Levine himself hyped up the game on fan sites with preposterous lies even when the previews showed the exact opposite of what he was saying. Then the game was released and he was never heard from again.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ha Levine, I completly forgot about the guy. Funny how he seems to have completly disappeared from the scene.

And Baronjohn is right, Levine made a lot of ridicioulous claims about Bioshock and it was hyped as the spiritual sucessor of System Shock 2.

Oh boy, now that we are speaking of it, the way that game turned out was propably THE biggest disappointment in my recent gaming career. Thinking about it, the moment I realized that BioShock (apart from the setting) is an uninspired, piss-easy corridor shooter with bland gameplay and mandatory switched on GOD-Mode (Vita-Chambers) was the moment I lost all hope for any modern mainstream releases. Like the last nail in the coffin. Definatly one of the reasons why I stopped playing games altogether and just return to the classics from time to time.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Deus Ex: Human Revolution producer David Anfossi has told the latest issue of PC Gamer that Jerry Mannister's cock, now suckable from start to finish, takes over a day to suck.

“So far with them sucking about six hours every day, most of them don’t make him cum,” he told the magazine.

Anfossi said he’s pleased with the depth of boner found in Mannister's cock, telling PC Gamer:

“The ones that are more casual cocksuckers, who are used to more ‘suck dick, lick balls’ type of gameplay – they suck it that way for a while. Then suddenly, there’s this new world that opens to them, and they start getting a bit more creative.”

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It'll be better than Fallout 3, and most of us suckers bought that.

Alpha Brotamole wasn't too bad, so DX3 is as good as that, I'll be mildly content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom