Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Town Planning

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
ideaay.png

Red == Walls
Blue == Roads

Maybe move the blue X (Village Claim) and make it intersect with the roads but that's the general idea.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
http://www.rpgcodex.net/junk/Crossroads ... g_Land.png

That the sort of thing you're talking about for the wall Kruger? The thin red line. The squares I dumped on are testing out plots at 40x40 standard sizes and grey is possible roads.

It's huge and it'll take us until next reset to build it but at least we'll have nice big plots. We'll probably also need about 100 - 200 people to fill it and keep auth up, assuming we're able to extend the village claim all the way to the walls. :lol:

Kruger

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/junk/Crossroads_Surrounding_Land.png

That the sort of thing you're talking about for the wall Kruger? The thin red line. The squares I dumped on are testing out plots at 40x40 standard sizes and grey is possible roads.

It's huge and it'll take us until next reset to build it but at least we'll have nice big plots. We'll probably also need about 100 - 200 people to fill it and keep auth up, assuming we're able to extend the village claim all the way to the walls. :lol:

Looks about right :) . Idk about the auth drain, but we should be able to keep it up by ourselves. Atleast i could in Orlais that had 1.600.000 auth :)

Archess

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6168/crossroadswallplans1.png

Edited a bit, the orange lines are my suggestion for wall placement and the maroon coloured bits are gates.
I think we should avoid going in staircase patterns and also instead build around cliffs when possible as it will save us a lot of bricks and wrought instead of building a new corner post at the other end whenever we hit a cliff.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Good idea though the resources saved may depend on the corner. It's 10 Wrought and 300 Bricks to start a Brick Wall cornerpost, 5 Wrought and 50 Bricks to place one along an existing wall. On some of those corners, it'd cost us more Wrought to go around but will certainly save us a couple of hundred Bricks.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
... or even more.

I think the SW corner is where the good soil is ("good" being relative, as it's only 30+). Other than that, I like it. It'll save on Bricks and a lot of unnecessary corner posts.

Are we stock-piling / planting huge fields of hops to plant underneath it?

Archess

Novice
^Looks great, is it the final wall plans?

Also I heard someone speaking about getting Jorb to remove cliffs for us, is this possible? Because we could stand to lose some...

Kruger

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
... or even more.

I think the SW corner is where the good soil is ("good" being relative, as it's only 30+). Other than that, I like it. It'll save on Bricks and a lot of unnecessary corner posts.

Are we stock-piling / planting huge fields of hops to plant underneath it?

Yeh, we are stockpiling hops atm.

Archess said:

Also I heard someone speaking about getting Jorb to remove cliffs for us, is this possible? Because we could stand to lose some...

Removing cliffs would be intresting, we should ask jorb if that's possible.

Kruger

Novice
Oh and about the wall.

It's such of a big thing that you only do it once. So it has to be done propely, even if it costs abit more. Half jobs or cheat jobs will come back to haunt you later i tell you.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Kruger said:
Removing cliffs would be intresting, we should ask jorb if that's possible.
AFAIK the only time that's happened was when Burgingham managed to talk a drunk jorb into deleting a single cliff part that was preventing the Sodom brickwall from being completely symmetric. This got a lot of negative response from players who didn't like that veteran playes from world 1 seemed to be getting preferential treatment, and loftar was also negative, so I really doubt any more cliffs will be divinely deleted.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Archess said:
Sure. We'll need hops to plant as we plow it out. So we can plow, drop the Hops in and then pave over it. Small chance someone might come along and harvest all our Hops before we put the wall in - so might be an idea to do small sections at a time. Or just plant grass, re-plow, re-plant Hops and then pave for any missing spots as we get to them.

At the river there are only wooden walls and it's the closest spot to our city core. Can't see a thick red line near it.

Question: Can you block rivers? My idea would be we block all access points which leads to our village and create a system where only somebody in those walls can leave by using the crossroads but not by using the river. Then we can use the rivers around the village as extra defense lines.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
SimpleComplexity said:
At the river there are only wooden walls and it's the closest spot to our city core. Can't see a thick red line near it.
Yeah, at some point we'll have to tear down the pallisade there and replace it with Brick... or work out something else as to where the Brick wall will go in there. Sadly I didn't leave enough room to build the Brick on the outside all the way around like I had originally intended. :(

SimpleComplexity said:
Question: Can you block rivers?
Nope.

Kruger

Novice
Hey Barry!

Could you map the missing tiles near lake aruba at the grassland. I was thinking that we could expand slightly more to the east since we need to go there anyway, gonna claim IK's clayspot. It might be cheaper, since there is some intresting cliffs.

-Kruger

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I'll try and get on and do that within the next day or so. Been a bit caught up of late.

We discussed this yesterday shortly, anway now everyone can read it: The plan is to make 2 shipyards, the one which already exists and another @ the north side of our village (Lake Bermuda) southest point. Trading partners from the north have a shorter way to our village by doing this. Other concerns: The current shipyard of our entrance doesn't look epic enough and is too cluttered with stuff.

Iron Knee

Educated
Even if we go round cliffs, you either have to hug coast or go above cliff, which means corner posts to either adapt to coast shape or or cliff shape.

In some instances it may be better ... yeah count tiles Krug :P

I do like the securing of the IK clay spot. I kind of wish others would take the iniative and secure sites like this. If we village claim the one shown in your recent example, I'll look at claiming another node so we can increase brick production.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom