Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So let me take a moment of your time and flip flop

MetalCraze

Arcane
I've never managed to play New Vegas again. In no small thanks to the repairs going on at the time, but mostly due to it being a shooter that was ruined by attrocious console gameplay and the need to dumb it down for retards and other 2009+ members on various RPG forums. Still maybe I will continue that "LP" some day if I will feel like suffering.

So I decided to play something else instead! As I was pretty sure it can't be worse than the terrible overrated excrement that New Vegas is.

Mind you Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky were good for nothing pieces of shit where a great atmosphere was ruined by tiny corridors filled with rapidly respawning enemies and stupid FedEx quests. Exploration that should've been a main point of the game in something like a mysterious area with anomalies? There was none of it. And the "mystery" was badly written itself.
I hated them.

So obviously I was very sceptical about Call of Pripyat. And my scepticism was once again correct. To a degree...

Let's get on with the bashing then:

- Shooting is still not good. In a shooter. It was improved compared to previous two as weapons don't feel like all of them are weak shotguns that shoot at all random places but a shortened version of AK having a crazy recoil that will make you watch the sky after a mere 3 shots? And that goes for other weapons as well. Unless you heavily upgrade them. They also have no punch to them, they don't feel like firearms. They feel like airsoft guns which shows in the next flaw

- While the damage system was improved too - headshots do kill people right away this time - shooting enemies in anything but head is just as useless as it was in Stalker's alpha and beta versions.

- It's easy to be friends with everyone as factions barely react to whatever you do. Sucking Freedom's dick won't make you an enemy with Duty. Killing bandits during quests won't make them hostile. Etc. The only way to be an enemy is to go full retard.

- Quest compass. It hurts sometimes. Especially when seeking cover from emissions as it shows you where you can find it (which is not needed because really any closed space without windows will do). It ruins some quests like that too. But other than that it isn't too intrusive, like in the best game evar 2010

- There is no feeling of incoming doom or the need for survival. Too many med supplies, too much food. And later in the game - too much ammo.

- Map design. Despite levels being corridors in alpha and beta versions - they looked genuine, like something that people have built. Zaton and Yanov look like a theme park. Quarry in a big hole in the middle of nowhere (I mean they need to put all that dirt they dig somewhere? Like in containers or something?), a cement factory that is just two small buildings with nothingness around them, a children's summer camp which is just 5 small houses and again nothing around it - and there are more examples. Everything feels disjointed, lacks logic and thus hurts atmosphere - also because there is nothing to do in between "places of interest".

- Pripyat is small.

- Finally in addition to the two flaws above graphics suffered as well. This is obviously connected - the level/graphics design team left to make a failure that is Metro 2033 coupled with CoP being completed in under a year - and it shows.

But maybe people, who did Metro 2033 which sucked horribly, leaving would mean that they took that suckage away with them in something else?

Oh yes!

- FedEx quests are now less stupid. Some are even good despite being more linear than an average Obsidian's shooter pretending to be not shit. What's the reason? ->

- Exploring is fun. When you are proceeding along some FedEx quest or just entering some of the areas they often stuffed with nicely designed sci fi stuff. A good example will be the Oasis. People are talking about it, it's a legend according to which there are waters somewhere in the zone that will heal all diseases and wounds. After that it's up to you how to find it. After travelling through a nice maze of ventilation pipes players jumps straight into another little maze in the middle of teleportation anomaly where he needs to find a correct way through it. And then he comes into some nature growing among concrete structures with water - and there is a precious artifact in there. After grabbing it the player is attacked by pseudodogs which you can't kill as long as they are in water (same goes for you as wounds heal almost instantly). Upon returning from there everything makes fun of you if you are telling them that you have found Oasis. Sweet touch and adds to an atmosphere.
And it's close to that for many FedExs. They often involve anomalies and mazes with an occasional puzzle thrown in. Reminds me of why I stayed with Divinity 2 through all of it.

- The above is also in no small thanks to Zone now being quite empty. The combat is rare (which is only a plus considering how mediocre it is) and thus you have more time looking into all the weird stuff devs put there and enjoying the atmosphere of Soviet surrealism. And it's interesting as the feeling of mystery is present there unlike in previous two pieces of shit.

- You can now explore Pripyat for once. And unlike Yanov and Zaton it's well crafted, despite being smaller than any of them. When I reached it I was just running around, looking at the ghost town.

- And apart from combat being rare factions that were one dimensional previously have slightly more to them. Even Monolith. Quest with the lost monolith squad is a nice addition to the setting and you can only find it by exploring.

- There are never enough money (although you stop having problems upon reaching Pripyat), weapons you gather cost more to repair than to sell them afterwards (as you can't sell them unless they are next to fully repaired). The only real way is to gather artifacts which is quite a bit grindy and problematic in the first half.

- Weapon and armour modifications. There is not much to them as they are mostly about less recoil and more damage (when it comes to weapons) and more protection from X (when it comes to armour), but still it's a nice addition to the gameplay. Considering that to get the better ones you need to find tools - and there are no quest compasses for that.

- Setting feels much more mysterious now as this time devs prefer to keep stuff unexplained rather that throwing a lame excuse in your face. Even the plot is much more down to earth and is quite interesting for once.

- Helping some people will mean they will go to you with Pripyat - and there will be quests in there connected to them. Me likes.

- Achievements. They are not retarded. Basically they just unlock stuff you still have to pay a lot for. And it isn't some fancy weapon that you get once you popped 100 moles. Do quests for scientists, helping them with the research (which also means giving away rare artifacts) and you f.e. will get a chance to buy experimental meds they invented thanks to you that will let you survive through emission without the cover. Same goes for everything else related to them. Nice.

There is more that I probably forgot about in both pro and cons. But I had fun with it. I usually hate games with empty maps and randomly generated enemies thrown in but this time it was fun. Thanks to exploration being interesting and a lot of stuff to see.

Unfortunately (and I do feel like it's unfortunate) there is no point in playing the game ever again once you've completed it. There is no replayability and doing the same stuff again is not the same.
Ending slides Fallout-style were nice though.

I still hate you all <3

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
HOLY SHIT

OH MY GOD

BROS, WE ARE APPROACHING TERMINAL EQUILIBRIUM

ITZ COMING, PROCEED WITH THE EVACUATION

And as for replayability: replaying CoP is still a deal because there is some minor C&C among the quests, stuff you can do differently, find stuff that you didn't discover previously, dick around with different guns/armour types, etc, but there's not enough for it for more than one replay, I guess.

Tails

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
- While the damage system was improved too - headshots do kill people right away this time - shooting enemies in anything but head is just as useless as it was in Stalker's alpha and beta versions.
True.

MetalCraze said:
It's easy to be friends with everyone as factions barely react to whatever you do. Sucking Freedom's dick won't make you an enemy with Duty. Killing bandits during quests won't make them hostile. Etc. The only way to be an enemy is to go full retard.
When about Bandits are you right (and I find it as a major flaw of CoP) in case of Freedom/Duty is different, since if you kill someone from Duty/Freedom the opposite fraction will be against you (after you join them, of course). The Bandits could get against player when he gets Artefact Hunter Achievement, but it is bugged even with last patch...

MetalCraze said:
- Quest compass. It hurts sometimes. Especially when seeking cover from emissions as it shows you where you can find it (which is not needed because really any closed space without windows will do). It ruins some quests like that too. But other than that it isn't too intrusive, like in the best game evar 2010
You are right but also you forgot to mention that you can disable the "quest compass" for side missions without any mods (since the NPCs explain you where to go exactly)and also you can disable for the main ones (mainly disable side quest, pick one on list and enjoy lack of quest compass for main ones).

MetalCraze said:
- There is no feeling of incoming doom or the need for survival. Too many med supplies, too much food. And later in the game - too much ammo.
Agreed, this is my main issue with CoP.

I won't agree with you about maps though. Maybe they are not perfect but are not also bad in my definition. The most detailed one is for sure Jupiter Factory One, when the Pripyat is the least one, with about two-three side quests. I found this disappointing, since the game title at least for me suggested that Pripyat will be main focus of GSC.

MetalCraze said:
- FedEx quests are now less stupid. Some are even good despite being more linear than an average Obsidian's shooter pretending to be not shit. What's the reason? ->
I can hardly remember any stupid FedEx quest in CoP (you can always point out some, of course). For example, I don't see nothing wrong that Techician gives you task to get for him parts, since he is rather non-combat persona.
MetalCraze said:
After grabbing it the player is attacked by pseudodogs which you can't kill as long as they are in water (same goes for you as wounds heal almost instantly).
Are you sure? I think I managed to kill them outside the water without issues.
MetalCraze said:
And it's interesting as the feeling of mystery is present there unlike in previous two pieces of shit.
Agreed totally.

MetalCraze said:
- There are never enough money (although you stop having problems upon reaching Pripyat), weapons you gather cost more to repair than to sell them afterwards (as you can't sell them unless they are next to fully repaired). The only real way is to gather artifacts which is quite a bit grindy and problematic in the first half.
Even without searching of artefacts it's quiet easy to get enough money for PA & gub from Nible, especially if you played previous games.

MetalCraze said:
Unfortunately (and I do feel like it's unfortunate) there is no point in playing the game ever again once you've completed it. There is no replayability and doing the same stuff again is not the same.
When I agree with you in other un-quoted quotes, I disagree with this one. While the replayability is quiet minimalistic, still playing after longer time and seeing that changing sides gives you not only different endings but also different equipment (when in case of weapons doesn't matter much, armours are different case.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:

That's alright, there's always kotor to fall back on.

Raapys

Arcane
You bring up some good and valid points, but I can't say I agree with the shooting. Well, except the headshot thing; there really isn't much point trying to shoot someone without aiming at the head, especially when you also consider weapon recoil which makes automatic fire pretty useless( which I'm perfectly fine with).

However, I do find the shooting generally very satisfying, especially considering the rather large number of weapons and attachments to try out. Can't really list a large number of games where I've had more fun sneaking around and taking people out. Also doesn't hurt that the player dies rather easily, making you tread far more carefully than in most other games.

DraQ

Arcane
:retarded:

ITZ CAME! PIGS ARE FLYING BACKWARDS HELL HAS FROZEN OVER SUN SPROUTED A MULTIHEADED DICK AND SKYWAYS ARE PRAISING STALKER!

ONOZ!

...Ahem.

MetalCraze said:
- Shooting is still not good.
I've always found this complaint pretty derp. It's not a mil-sim, but I've always found shooting in STALKER far more entertaining than in a typical, non-sim FPS.

headshots do kill people right away this time
And this one is just baffling. If anything, headshot effectiveness was reduced significantly in CoP. Sure, headshots are still mostly instantly lethal, but now it's not so rare to see an enemy that fails to die on the first hit to the head - with zombies it's actually quite frequent, same with fleshes. Also, enemies still routinely survive headshots if they don't hit them right in the braincase.
Damage dealt with bodyshots was indeed increased compared with SoC, but not necessarily with CS.

This element was best in SoC. Too bad there were no emissions.

I'd consider quest design genuinely good this time around. Surprisingly so given sucky sidequests in SoC and meh in CS.

- Exploring is fun.

- The above is also in no small thanks to Zone now being quite empty. The combat is rare
Indeed, deemphasizing combat helps build the atmosphere of desolation.

- You can now explore Pripyat for once. And unlike Yanov and Zaton it's well crafted, despite being smaller than any of them. When I reached it I was just running around, looking at the ghost town.
Disagreed. Pripyat is indeed perfect at conveying atmosphere of desolation and pure "whoa." triggered by often grotesquely deformed environment, unfortunately, it isn't much fun to explore as it turns out you can only enter very few buildings and fences cut you off right before you reach that ladder you wanted to reach a rooftop by to take a better look at the surroundings or snipe someone. Every time. It feels very unfinished despite being very atmospheric.
Quest with the lost monolith squad is a nice addition to the setting and you can only find it by exploring.
Well, they're pretty much sitting in the open - it's not the Oasis quest.

There are never enough money
LOLWUT.
I was overflowing with cash soon after the beginning. The only STALKER that did the economy horribly right was CS, but it also did a whole lot of things horribly wrong so it isn't necessarily worth it.

- Setting feels much more mysterious now as this time devs prefer to keep stuff unexplained rather that throwing a lame excuse in your face. Even the plot is much more down to earth and is quite interesting for once.
Well, they didn't put in some shitty "reveal" this time, so yeah. Though the setting already felt mysterious in SoC, right until you were hit in the face with C-Consciousness shit, that is.

Helping some people will mean they will go to you with Pripyat - and there will be quests in there connected to them. Me likes.
:love:

Achievements. They are not retarded. Basically they just unlock stuff you still have to pay a lot for. And it isn't some fancy weapon that you get once you popped 100 moles. Do quests for scientists, helping them with the research (which also means giving away rare artifacts) and you f.e. will get a chance to buy experimental meds they invented thanks to you that will let you survive through emission without the cover. Same goes for everything else related to them. Nice.
They're basically Fallout-style situational (non-level-up) perks, and yes, they are p. cool.

:salute: for taking a popular buzzword and twisting it into something different and not derp.

BTW: Did you get "Marked by the Zone" perk "achievement"?
There is one subtle thing about it you shall love if you manage to notice it.

Well, you can do quite a lot of stuff differently and it will affect the slides. It will also affect the available equipment in Yanov.

I still hate you all <3
:love:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, while we're talking quests, I fucking loved the one with the Duty squad stuck in limbo :love:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tails said:
in case of Freedom/Duty is different, since if you kill someone from Duty/Freedom the opposite fraction will be against you (after you join them, of course).
I've never had an option to join any of them. And when I had a choice to get my relations better with Freedom - I always did (like hiring them to guard scientists, sending monolith lost squad to join their ranks etc). The best I ever got was "tell me about Freedom". And yes I got an armour as a present from them as well.

And obviously if you start killing people there for no reason you become enemies which is what I said.

You are right but also you forgot to mention that you can disable the "quest compass" for side missions without any mods (since the NPCs explain you where to go exactly)and also you can disable for the main ones (mainly disable side quest, pick one on list and enjoy lack of quest compass for main ones).
Hmmm. I mostly changed the graphical options by setting them to the max - must've missed that.

I won't agree with you about maps though. Maybe they are not perfect but are not also bad in my definition. The most detailed one is for sure Jupiter Factory One, when the Pripyat is the least one, with about two-three side quests. I found this disappointing, since the game title at least for me suggested that Pripyat will be main focus of GSC.
It was easy to see the "small Pripyat" coming from a mile away - right when you opened your PDA. Still I liked it far more than 100x100m ventilation and electro stations in the middle of nowhere.
The best factory design was in SoC though - and it wasn't split into two different sections originally.

I can hardly remember any stupid FedEx quest in CoP (you can always point out some, of course). For example, I don't see nothing wrong that Techician gives you task to get for him parts, since he is rather non-combat persona.
There are quests like go to swamp and bring me X from it. They don't usually involve anything else but a bunch of anomalies but you spend unneeded amounts of time just walking there.
Still previously there was a majority of these, now they are a minority.

I much more enjoyed quests like the one where you had to protect the squad taking measurements near anomalies - which was also parallel to your "put detectors near those anomalies" quest. So both put together were fun.

Are you sure? I think I managed to kill them outside the water without issues.
I killed them outside of the water without any issues either.

When I agree with you in other un-quoted quotes, I disagree with this one. While the replayability is quiet minimalistic, still playing after longer time and seeing that changing sides gives you not only different endings but also different equipment (when in case of weapons doesn't matter much, armours are different case.
I wanted different quests much more.

Raapys said:
You bring up some good and valid points, but I can't say I agree with the shooting. Well, except the headshot thing; there really isn't much point trying to shoot someone without aiming at the head, especially when you also consider weapon recoil which makes automatic fire pretty useless( which I'm perfectly fine with).
I don't even know how to switch from automatic fire to anything else...

...because I never needed to do that :smug:

Also doesn't hurt that the player dies rather easily, making you tread far more carefully than in most other games.
Yeah it's pretty good. Until you get all those + to healing artifacts and blue medkits in the second half and improve your armour with the 2nd grade upgrades.

DraQ said:
No :<

Darth Roxor said:
Also, while we're talking quests, I fucking loved the one with the Duty squad stuck in limbo :love:

That was unexpected yes. One of those things that added to the general mysterious atmosphere of the zone.

Tails

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
I've never had an option to join any of them. And when I had a choice to get my relations better with Freedom - I always did (like hiring them to guard scientists, sending monolith lost squad to join their ranks etc). The best I ever got was "tell me about Freedom". And yes I got an armour as a present from them as well.
Well you can't really join them, but there is an achievement "Friend of Freedom/Duty" (which gives you access to better stuff, but also affects reputation among traders/engineers). The problem is that it is quiet easily to end up without neither... but there is also possible to bring balance between the factions, though it is more tricky.

Hmmm. I mostly changed the graphical options by setting them to the max - must've missed that.
It is in PDA. Above the world map you can switch displaying zones, side quests mark etc.

DraQ said:
Not surprising, since CoP gameplay doesn't push player even a bit to getting it. Still, Diplomat achievement was also neat.
Darth Roxor said:

That was unexpected yes. One of those things that added to the general mysterious atmosphere of the zone.
Don't forget about the quests with non-violent solutions, ffs :> especially with the Mercs, which unlocked new possibilities regarding other tasks. It's also worth to mention that CoP allows back-stabbing bandits quests and also others. Really impressive comparing what kind of poor quests offered SoC/CS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom