Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief : I approve of this good shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Darth Roxor said:
'Also, something that bugs me after playing through this again. Why in the shit can't the Trickster get the Eye himself? I mean, sure, the main gate to the cathedral is closed by the elemental wards, but what exactly is stopping him from blasting/jumping over the gate of the cloister, and then using the cathedral's backdoor to snatch the gem?

I believe it's because he doesn't want to reveal himself to the world until it's too late for the world to act.

Yes, it's very easy for the Trickster to go all Duke Nukem on the Cathredal to get the Eye, but then every faction with the capability to stop him would know he's here. He'd have a much harder time reaching a Flawless Victory.

Also, someone had to... open the Eye, right? Maybe it had to be someone special, like Garrett? I don't think the Trickster (or Victoria) would be willing to give up an eye for the Eye, and I seriously doubt that any poor schmoe like Benny would be suitable. Unless the Trickster was looking to get shit-faced drunk.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Some of you hardcore thief fans should play the dark mod. Specifically, the Glenham tower is a good overview of the possibilities.

Just dig out your doom3 install it and follow these directions:
http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/downloads.php

You can download the missions in the darkmod executable itself.
You won't regret it (well except a few bugs that ARE being fixed in the next update. And if you use a ATI, disable Catalyst AI and powersaving, doom3 hates it and locks up).

Divinity: Original Sin
Unkillable Cat said:
Darth Roxor said:
'Also, something that bugs me after playing through this again. Why in the shit can't the Trickster get the Eye himself? I mean, sure, the main gate to the cathedral is closed by the elemental wards, but what exactly is stopping him from blasting/jumping over the gate of the cloister, and then using the cathedral's backdoor to snatch the gem?

I believe it's because he doesn't want to reveal himself to the world until it's too late for the world to act.

Yes, it's very easy for the Trickster to go all Duke Nukem on the Cathredal to get the Eye, but then every faction with the capability to stop him would know he's here. He'd have a much harder time reaching a Flawless Victory.

Also, someone had to... open the Eye, right? Maybe it had to be someone special, like Garrett? I don't think the Trickster (or Victoria) would be willing to give up an eye for the Eye, and I seriously doubt that any poor schmoe like Benny would be suitable. Unless the Trickster was looking to get shit-faced drunk.

And with all supernatural/ritual ways of this things, maybe the trickster wasn't able at all to invade the cathedral. maybe by some arcane barrier, or shit like that. even after he had the eye, he still had to do some ritual things with it.

Talking about the eye, I remember the eye was in the museum in thief deadly shadows, and it kind of talked to garret through telepathy.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Fucking lore rape. Putting the eye in a museum is insane.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dunno. I don't think it was ever specified what actually was The Eye's power/original purpose in Thief 1. It could float on its own and use telepathy, sure, but it might be argued that it would have to be 'used' by someone (like the Trickster) first to unleash DOOOOOOOOM.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Aren't there readables in the cathedral how the undead only got restless once the eye got there?
Or did the keepers put it there before sealing the door?

Divinity: Original Sin
SCO said:
Fucking lore rape. Putting the eye in a museum is insane.

This reminds me of the museum in Ultima IX. It had lots of objects refering to past entries in the series (even objects the avatar previously destroyed - maybe they were replicas), but that was there just for show. Like "hey, look, were respecting the lore and previous installments".

And there was that tapestry...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SCO said:
Aren't there readables in the cathedral how the undead only got restless once the eye got there?
Or did the keepers put it there before sealing the door?

Don't remember any journals about that, but the cataclysm definitely happened after the Eye found its way to the cathedral 'cause there's one letter where some guy wonders how is it possible the Eye is levitating above the main altar every day, even if they move it to an underground vault.

And I always suspected the undead holocaust in the Cathedral happened due to some sort of heresy or inside job. After all, there seems to be something very fishy about brother Murus's death, since you find a journal of one acolyte, where he writes that it's imperative to perform a ritual of consecration at Murus's grave because he knows some terrible truth behind his death, but he lacks the courage to tell that to the high priests and answer their unavoidable questions.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Tails said:
what is the opinion of fellow Codexers about T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age?
I think overall it's a very good game and certainly a lot better than Deadly Shadows. At first i didn't like Zaya's character that much, because she was somewhat whiny, but in the end she didn't bother me nearly as much as i thought she would.

spekkio

Arcane
Tolknaz said:
Tails said:
what is the opinion of fellow Codexers about T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age?
I think overall it's a very good game and certainly a lot better than Deadly Shadows. At first i didn't like Zaya's character that much, because she was somewhat whiny, but in the end she didn't bother me nearly as much as i thought she would.
Seconded. Played it an had great fun. Not as good as T1 / T2 but probably the best fan-made campaign/game evar made. Definitely worth checking out.

:love:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thieves' Guild is the most rage-inducing map ever. :x

All those sewer tunnels, all those rooms, all those notes pointing to wherever the objectives are hidden. Took me about one and a half hours just to complete it, it's worse since it compliments nothing to the storyline and is generally the most useless Thief Gold map.

RatFink

Educated
one and a half hours??? jesus...that is pretty much what it took me to complete most missions..took me some more time to complete thieves guild.

are you fast or am i slow :M

maybe im to obsessed with seeing everything and finding everything...ahh thief :love:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I didn't mind the 'open world' and 'side quests' in Deadly Shadows because the hubs were relatively small and painless, and it was fun to hear people on the streets talk about the stuff you did during the missions. Same with the 'side quests', they were pretty non-intrusive and actually required some exploration to find (like the guy pretending to be you to get a job), so they felt okay in my book.

But fuck, an OPEN EPIC SANDBOX WORLD WITH PARKOUR AND STUFFIES!!1111 the likes of Assassin's Creed would be disastrous.

Not sure if they're doing it right, though it will be pretty sad if they decide to completely abandon the steampunk side of the series.

Well, 'Victorian' might imply 'Steampunk'.

Still, this will suck :M

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Spellcaster said:
Sidequests, which probably means, why of course, the game will be open world.
Not neccessarily. They coud attempt sort of Deadly Shadows strikes back with much larger open city and story missions still in separate locations. The main fault with deadly shadows implementation was that the city was as big as my neighbours back yard and there was a serious lack of content. Also, the shitty a.i. with its faction wars was truly facepalm worthy. Now, imagine a large open city actually done right, that you can explore between missions. With proper "thieves highways", taverns, stores, churches etc. ripe for plundering, some small and witty stories scripted in (like the guy who pretended to be Garret in Deadly Shadows) and so on. Sort of much larger Life of the Party city if you will. Open city idea in Thief has potential, but it must be done right and missions certainly must take place in separate maps.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I don't really think open city with 'plunder as much as you want' is an idea consistent with Garrett's personality. After all, in the second mission of The Metal Age, Garrett states that looting the warehouses is profitable and all, but beneath the competences of a master thief, and if his standards keep declining like that, he'll go back to picking pockets on the streets like a common thug.

However, that is all assuming that we'll be playing mr G again.

also:

'I pick a gilded apple from an iron tree and wipe the rust from my brow.

My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn. My eyes forever focused on the sanguine metal dawn.'

I think I played through Thief 2 like six times already, but each time I'm amazed by the excellent quality of the writing :love:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tolknaz said:
Sort of much larger Life of the Party city if you will. Open city idea in Thief has potential, but it must be done right and missions certainly must take place in separate maps.

Yes, this would be quite awesome, actually.
We all know it's probably not going to happen but damn, missions that would send you into a certain district where you could go through and loot and have some siequests while going to the place your mission's set in.
Kinda like Life of the Party, only larger. Maybe have a whole noble's district to explore in a mission to break into Lord Something's manor.

A sandbox, however, wouldn't be what I'd want from a Thief game. The mission-based structure should be kept.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Spellcaster said:
The problem with open world or some hub-like interconnected areas like T3 is actually pretty simple: one of (if not THE) best things in Thief is its immense diversity. I mean, compare Lord Bafford's manor (the first mission) with maw of chaos (the last). Seems like two different games, and that's part of the magic. That was just one example when in fact it could be said about pretty much the entire game, pick two random missions and they'll surely be really different.

This is actually one of the few points of criticism one can level at Thief 2. Compared to Thief 1/Gold, the locations you visit are all very similar, with only short bursts of diversity thrown in at times. Thief 2 even backtracks a couple of times by re-visiting the Lost City and having two back-to-back missions taking place on the same map! Thief 2 Gold was meant to try to fix this, but that sadly never came to be.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So I just finished my Thief marathon. Did Thief Gold, Thief II and Deadly Shadows (as much as I hate it) all on Expert. Then I played through Thief 2X for the first time (on Expert too), while it was good I felt the last mission could have been handled way better than just the absolutely predictable "he was the bad guy all along" (which I had guessed from the very first mission). I also despise Zaya's voice actor with a passion, god she was annoying.

sick

Educated
Project: Eternity
hi, i;m gonna play whole trilogy for first time soon. are there any mods i should use, i'm especially interested in impoving graphics/textures (i'm not a graphic whore but ya know what i mean, '99 was 11 years ago)?

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
All 4 missions from "The Cabal" mini-campaign for Thief 3 seem to be out. Has anyone tried them yet? The screenshots i've seen over the years were really impressive. I guess it's time to install Thief 3 again.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Darth Slaughter said:
I think the first 3 splinter cells are the closest clone of thief we ever had. Splinter cell was more forgiving, but gameplay mechanics was about the same.

Sorry dude, but I can't agree with you here. I only played the first Splinter Cell, but it was a huuuuuge dissapointment (back then I was still naive enough to believe that "next-gen" games could be worth a damn). The ULTRA linear level design and the limited possiblities of your character destroyed the game completly.
The game was railroaded like Max Payne, while pretending to be a Thief-inspired stealth game.

QFT.
In addition Splinter Cell had behind-the-ass camera. :decline:

Thief is two of my absolute favourite games, escpecially TDP, with it's very varied maps, from manors, to lost cities, to The Bonehoatd, to one of the most wierd and wonderful levels of all time - The Sword - and into The Maw of chaos itself.
Thief 2 had too many mediocre levels, but The Bank and Life of the Party was fantastic.
Thief 2 is also the only game that has given me motion sickness. :(

Let's hope Thief 4 will bo more like T1 and T2, and not like ulta-linear, railroaded, tied on hands and feet limited Splinter Cell with behind-the-ass camera.

xemous

Arcane
open world thief sounds terrible. side quests are terrible. having to sneak around dodging guards while walking from one mission to the next is terrible. one of the many reasons why i hated deadly shadows.

Naraya

Arcane
After ragequitting Thief Gold some time ago because of frustration with the Return to the Cathedral mission, I picked it up again. I managed to find all the items for Brother Murus but now he complains about lack of some kind of ritual without really giving any clues... Sigh, this mission is brutal. I think I've already spent like 5 hours here but I plan to
:dealwithit:
and finish it... someday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom