Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm looking forward to Oblivion.

Drakron

Arcane
Of course not ... the horror that will be Bethsoft Fallout 3 is yet to be disclosed.

My hope its that Fallout fans will avoid it and it will hold no interrest to anyone else, making it tank and finaly send the series to its grave.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Drakron said:
Of course not ... the horror that will be Bethsoft Fallout 3 is yet to be disclosed.

My hope its that Fallout fans will avoid it and it will hold no interrest to anyone else, making it tank and finaly send the series to its grave.

That's your hope, eh? Well, I hope that you fail in all your business ventures, too. See, there's enough hope to go around for everyone! :D

Chefe

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I have no idea where you get the idea from Ted's quoted interview that we "disrespect" our own property. The TES Lore fans seem to be pretty happy with Morrowind in that respect, and nobody who's not involved in development of Oblivion knows how the lore has changed -- or not -- for Oblivion, so it's impossible for an outsider to comment about that.

I personally think the lore became much, much better in Morrowind. Just like Morrowind itself: a great idea not implemented well. I also think the lore and the books will reach a zenith in Oblivion.

It's the gameplay itself that's been done a disservice. The amazing choices of Daggerfall (and hell, even Morrowind) are being thrown out the window. Not only are the foundations and the hopes of the series being disrespected, but those in Morrowind are too. Just look at the original concept for Morrowind. Now, imagine if Bethesda combined the original concepts for Morrowind and Daggerfall with the uniqueness and lore of Morrowind and added in some good dialogue to boot. Greatest RPG ever? It just might be.

I call it "building on past accomplishments."

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I have no idea where you get the idea from Ted's quoted interview that we "disrespect" our own property.
Always happy to explain:

"We wanted to give the player absolute freedom to create whatever kind of character you wanted to make, and go off on any adventure you pleased."
"Compared to Arena, and the single plotline that would bring you to that most cliched of all role-playing conventions, slaying the wicked wizard, [in DF] we wanted a complex series of adventures leading to multiple resolutions."
"Then, thinking about GURPS, we added additional bonuses and special abilities and disabilities that the player could assign."
"... that this faction is warring with that faction, was meant to have real world consequences"
"No one wanted all the important NPCs to be sprites who just yabbered their quests and never developed a relationship with the player."

And for the umpteenth time, Oblivion and Elder Scrolls have NOTHING TO DO WITH FALLOUT. Elder Scrolls isn't Fallout, Fallout isn't Elder Scrolls. Get it into your brain -- we know they're very, very different games. Jeeze!
Different. Gotcha! I'll try to remember this time.

For the record though, I meant the winning, dumbing down design approach, not specific features and elements.

Drakron

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
...there's enough hope to go around for everyone! :D

Hope%20Diamond.jpg

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Drakron said:
When it comes to the point that you are hating a game before you know a thing about it and want it to fail don't you have to sort of look at what sort of petty shit your life has become obsessed with?

Fuck's sake, this forum gets stupider by the post.

I HOPE EVERY RPG EVER MADE SUCKS BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO ENJOY MYSELF.

Drakron

Arcane
Are into necrophilia?

There is a natural progression of games, Fallout 2 come as a natural progression of Fallout but that progression have to be done within a certain technology circle and a certain time frame or they lose part of what they were.

Fallout 3 done by Black Isle would hear the same from me, the game had missed a lot of technological cycles to have the same feel, also the time would make the game diferent, there was no bridge to mantain a continuum to FO2.

I long have doubted FO3, I dont doubt Gothic 3.

Chefe

Erudite
fnordcircle said:
When it comes to the point that you are hating a game before you know a thing about it and want it to fail don't you have to sort of look at what sort of petty shit your life has become obsessed with?

I agree with Drakron in this respect. I've even taken it further. Not only do I hate Fallout 3 and want it to crash and die miserably, I also hate TES:V and TES:VI. Gothic 7 is going to be complete shit as well. Don't even get me started on Fallout 5. I hope they alllllllll go down! Muahahahaha!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Drakron:

Hoping it fails is kinda silly.
You should be hoping that it is absolutely brilliant; that it succeeds in capturing the spirit of the original Fallout.

If it ends up being shite, then it doesn't sound so silly to hope it goes into the grave.

Drakron

Arcane
No I dont because then we have the revival series were the big studios go after long dead series and try to cash in of the latest fad ... the revival.

EA would pick up Ultima, give to some developer and we get U:X ... then would do the same to Wing Commander, VU games already done Larry series a shitty sequel, you want Police Quest, King Quest and Quest for Glory recive the same treatment?

Some things are better left alone, not be dig up and raped in front of the people that played the originals.

Zli

Novice
But they won't rape the games, they'll rape the IP. Nothing will happen to the old games.

If you have to choose between a good sequel and a bad one, that's a no-brainer, but a bad sequel and none at all... What's the difference?

Athame

Novice
Drakron said:

MrSmileyFaceDude said:
That's your hope, eh? Well, I hope that you fail in all your business ventures, too. See, there's enough hope to go around for everyone! :D
108426.gif

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
It would be kind of nice if people stopped corpse raping Fallout though.

Twinfalls

Erudite
That's a horrible gif, Athame.

And what's with the perennial use of the word 'rape' all over the place...

Chefe

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
And what's with the perennial use of the word 'rape' all over the place...

It makes us feel like men. Manly, macho men.

Athame

Novice
Twinfalls said:
That's a horrible gif, Athame.

It conveyed the idea. MSFD pwned that little exchange from where I'm standing.

I canna understand the sentiment of "Since Bethesda's doing it instead of Black Isle Studios, I hope it bombs." Volourn notwithstanding, that's some of the most ignorant shit I've read on this forum. Quite frankly, it's as moronic as the fanboy mentality at ESF.

I hope Bethesda takes this game, adheres to its roots and makes a kick ass, hardcore RPG with it that does Fallout proud. I hope they make a comeback sequel that knocks my dick so far in the dirt, it takes me six months to dig it back out again. Why? Because I'm a gamer and I love GOOD games and brand loyalty doesn't mean a fucking thing to me. It's all about the end product - the game.

Drakron

Arcane
Too bad were I am sitting he did not, his reply was pretty much "your mom".

Also I have zero loyalty towards BIS, I already said that I would be as fast to critic Black Isle as I will be Bethsoft.

If Bethsoft wants to make a RPG set in the same vein as Fallout ... good for then, I just dont see the reason why people need to dig up old series and try to resurrect then, it reeks of name recognition cash in.

Baldur's Gate that is done by ToB is another title that shows up as a rumor too many times to my taste, Interplay was trying to do it (just a name cash in with I hope would be little ties with the original saga) and its a frequent rumor when it comes to Atari.

"Kick ass games" dont need name recognition, I play Silent Hill games and I have 1 to 3 and I missed 4 ... why?

Because Konami panic and forced "The Room" to be a Silent Hill title and so it was neither a Silent Hill title or a new survival horror game and it seens most Silent Hill fans agree it made a turn to worst in gameplay since we have to compare it to other SH titles.

Athame

Novice
Drakron said:

If they're going to diss it then I'm with ya, they should leave it alone but hey, give 'em a chance. If it sucks, don't buy it and don't play it. Its fate will be sealed as you stated earlier.

With the meager table scraps of good RPGs for the PC out there, I'm willing to give anyone a shot, even indies. If they make a good game, I'm going to be saying "Fuck yeah! This is fun and I'm loving it!" not "Oh shit, now Electronic Farts is going to exhume Ultima..."

*shrugs*

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
What you're missing is that the topic list can include responses to questions asked of the player, not just things the player can ask the NPC. Multiple responses, even. Ones that might alter the NPC's disposition towards the player, and affect what the NPC's reaction is to what the player "says." Our dialog system is MORE than capable of handling what you're asking for, for that reason and more.

To do that, you'd have to lock the player out of all the happy, polite responses just to make the NPC continue to seem pissed off at the player because of the voice acting. Otherwise you can piss off the NPC, click on a general info topic and get the polite, happy voice, then click on another one and get the pissed voice, etc.

Oh, and dialogue isn't JUST voiced -- everything an NPC can say has an emotion tied to it, and as NPCs talk their facial expressions change according to that as well as according to their disposition towards the player.

Which is another reason why you'd have to lock some topics away once an NPC is pissed.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Vault Dweller said:
Cute, but pointless.

I wouldn't go THAT far. One of the biggest complaints about Morrowind was lifeless NPCs, and Radiant AI is part of the answer to that complaint. I really don't understand why people would complain about us responding to a complaint, but, whatever.
It was because of the way characters were written and implemented (ie how they acted when being interacted with by the player, not what they're doing on their own damn time.)

PS - I'm very sorry for the thread dig. I should have let all things Morrowind die under the weight of new threads. You can ban me now if you wish. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom