Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gay romances: bash Bioware for the right reasons!

New Fog

Novice
Ok, I'm a new guy here, and I registered to post a LP of an indie game, Immortal Defense, which is totally awesome. You should play it. But I guess I had to create my own trolling thread about gay romances in DA and other Bioware games (so as to become a REAL member of the RPGCodex).

I DON'T LIKE Bioware's romances at all. They are bad, at least in my opinion. In previous threads, people argued Bioware should use their money to add more C&C to their game rather than romances. I mostly agree.

However, I don't know what to say about how much homophobia I've read in the threads, except: you guys are VERY dumb. I understand (I guess...) the forums here are some kind of free space to just shout how you don't like fags. Well guess what, I'm a gay male who played CRPG's in the 90's, and thanks to the Codex' forums, I discovered games like VtmB and KotC, and enjoyed them, and fuck you too. And if you are interested, and somewhat sexy, please send me a picture of you naked, with a close-up on your ass.

Ok back to the subject: I think bashing gay romance is a bit dumb. Gay romances in Bioware's games are not a waste of ressources at all. When Zevran or Lelianna are having a gay romance with the PC, they're delivering exactly the same lines regardless of the gender of the PC. This didn't cost anything, except maybe the actors saying their lines twice with some words like "man" or "his" replaced by "woman" or "her".

You guys would perhaps be right if there were some romances for exclusively gay NPCs, but in Bioware games, every character is either straight or bisexual. They did once an exclusively lesbian character, this was Juhani in KOTOR, all other non straight characters of Biowares were bisexuals and they delivered exactly the same dialogue to both genders. Show me the waste of money!

There is indeed one game I can think of where the male PC was proposed a gay romance, whereas the female PC was not. This would be ToEE.

Antihero

Liturgist
You're totally wrong guys, you need to be more sensitive when you're ragging on the "gay elf butt sex". Don't forget your quota to give equal condemnation to the straight romances in BioWare's games too, like the sleazy "dwarf on witch action", which might be dwarfist or witchist of me. I'm not sure which is worse.

sheek

Arbiter
548-4-1268091397.jpg

548-3-1267225620.jpg

2072-2-1296855522.jpg
2072-5-1296855459.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Isn't it funny how higher game almost never posts outside of gd?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Admiral jimbob said:
Please never visit GD. Every second thread is about how you and your disgusting desires to be treated like a normal human being are destroying all civilisation as we know it.

:salute:

Antihero

Liturgist
You would be wrong. All desires to be treated like a normal human being are disgusting. Mine especially, but that's beside the point.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO IF YOU WANNA SUCK A DICK THAT IS FINE WITH ME

YOU MAY STILL BE A TRUE BRO MAYBE YOU LIKE FAT GIRLS MAYBE YOU LIKE SKANKS MAYBE YOU LIKE GRANDMAS OR MAYBE YOU LIKE GUYS WHO CARES WELL MAKE FUN OFN YOU FORA WLL OF ITT LOOLLPLLOLL POLESMOKERS???!?!?!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
BLOBERT said:
BRO IF YOU WANNA SUCK A DICK THAT IS FINE WITH ME

YOU MAY STILL BE A TRUE BRO MAYBE YOU LIKE FAT GIRLS MAYBE YOU LIKE SKANKS MAYBE YOU LIKE GRANDMAS OR MAYBE YOU LIKE GUYS WHO CARES WELL MAKE FUN OFN YOU FORA WLL OF ITT LOOLLPLLOLL POLESMOKERS???!?!?!

:thumbsup:

:BRO:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
This post sounds like genuine faggotry and not made-up, so I'll try to correct it for the sake of your status in the next life. Which begins right now, my brother.

Nobody of import gives much thought to romances on the Codex, "we" (the general Codex concensus, interepreted by my voice, which you will follow as doctrine until proven to have the capacity for autonomy) just don't find them to be an essential or even interesting part of what a rpg is supposed to be. The added factor of wanting to appeal to sexual deviants lowlives like yourself, which is so freely and loudly presented as a new and revolutionary feature of rpgs, can only be ridiculed by those who really don't give a shit (thus, your offended stance on this issue is entirely impertinent). Such a pathetic boast that barely pushes the envelope of what the medium can do in terms of creativity surely cannot be an effective balm for a blatant lack of efforts and vision, which we hope should correct itself in offering an array of options to the player which do not revolve sorely on the act of choosing dialog options to simulate fucking another man in the ass

I hope we are clear on this issue. Bring me my horse squire, I must train for the next battle, and remember to polish my armor

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
New Fog said:
Well guess what, I'm a gay male who played CRPG's in the 90's, and thanks to the Codex' forums, I discovered games like VtmB and KotC, and enjoyed them, and fuck you too.[snip]

Indeed, because everyone on the internet always posts the truth and only the truth. And there is ABOSLUTELY NO CHANCE that som of those you branded as "homophobic" might not be homophobic at all or might even be homosexual themselves, because nobody ever lies or poses, on the interweb, especially not on the codex.

Moreover, why the random anti-homophobic rant in the middle of a post about something else?

Ranting here about the homophobic attitude is just as futile as ranting on social.bioware about gay romances (which, btw, are completely gratuitous, out of place, cheesy, unrealistic and retarded, the way they are implemented).

Anyway, I think I hear the sound of me not really giving a fuck.

Baron

Arcane
New Fog said:
Ok back to the subject: I think bashing gay romance is a bit dumb.
Outside of /gd/ gay romance isn't the issue. It's about the hatred. No respectable forum can discuss games, politics, envelopes or onvelopes, without violence. I don't come to the coliseum for the camaraderie of strangers, there has to be someone getting hurt for me to enjoy my popcorn. And so I'm no fan of any cRPG romances. I love character, dialogue, alignment conflict, betrayal; all the things that can be summed up with the words : Urdnot Wrex.

Wrex speaks after his shotgun has sounded. It is his gavel. And I know he would feel as I do about hating the touchy feely stuff (any advancement in plot where my gun is holstered). Sure, it's partly because I'm an emotional event horizon. But I'm grudgingly forced to acknowledge that female Neverwinter Nights gaming friends enjoy different aspects of these games. And, to my perpetual astonishment, that it is sustainable for Bioware to appeal to more than a single demographic.

The bottom line comes down to, 'Is divisive content optional?'* Are Bioware force feeding my face an engorged alien appendage, like they did with the planetary scanning mini-game? Unless I have some kind of Nomaskian craving, obviously not. My concern in this great non-issue is that too many options to capture every possible market could dilute well written characters. Kaiden would take a dick, that much is clear. But Wrex would never waste his precious genetic seed, not while his race was so perilously close to extinction. Never sacrifice good character for the sad whims and longings of roleplaying gamers. Apart from that, fuck all those consenting adults as your charisma allows, that's my motto.

* divisive in the gaming sense, not politically.

Destroid

Arcane
I am offended by Bioware making all characters bisexual, promoting the reptilian pan-sexual agenda.

Baron

Arcane
Mono-species cloning is the cornerstone of the galaxy.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
SCO said:
Well he's probably got an alt for regular posting (or HG is the troll alt... tomato tomato).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
New Fog said:
Ok, I'm a new guy here, and I registered to post a LP of an indie game, Immortal Defense, which is totally awesome. You should play it. But I guess I had to create my own trolling thread about gay romances in DA and other Bioware games (so as to become a REAL member of the RPGCodex).

I DON'T LIKE Bioware's romances at all. They are bad, at least in my opinion. In previous threads, people argued Bioware should use their money to add more C&C to their game rather than romances. I mostly agree.

However, I don't know what to say about how much homophobia I've read in the threads, except: you guys are VERY dumb. I understand (I guess...) the forums here are some kind of free space to just shout how you don't like fags. Well guess what, I'm a gay male who played CRPG's in the 90's, and thanks to the Codex' forums, I discovered games like VtmB and KotC, and enjoyed them, and fuck you too. And if you are interested, and somewhat sexy, please send me a picture of you naked, with a close-up on your ass.

Ok back to the subject: I think bashing gay romance is a bit dumb. Gay romances in Bioware's games are not a waste of ressources at all. When Zevran or Lelianna are having a gay romance with the PC, they're delivering exactly the same lines regardless of the gender of the PC. This didn't cost anything, except maybe the actors saying their lines twice with some words like "man" or "his" replaced by "woman" or "her".

You guys would perhaps be right if there were some romances for exclusively gay NPCs, but in Bioware games, every character is either straight or bisexual. They did once an exclusively lesbian character, this was Juhani in KOTOR, all other non straight characters of Biowares were bisexuals and they delivered exactly the same dialogue to both genders. Show me the waste of money!

There is indeed one game I can think of where the male PC was proposed a gay romance, whereas the female PC was not. This would be ToEE.

Butthurt detected. Literally. :smug:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
New Fog said:
However, I don't know what to say about how much homophobia I've read in the threads, except: you guys are VERY dumb. I understand (I guess...) the forums here are some kind of free space to just shout how you don't like fags. Well guess what, I'm a gay male who played CRPG's in the 90's, and thanks to the Codex' forums, I discovered games like VtmB and KotC, and enjoyed them, and fuck you too.
So, basically you're a mentally ill degenerate and you don't like how normal people are disgusted by your mental illness?

SCO said:
I suspect it he prefers writing about RL :decline: instead of :decline: of games.

@New Fog: Not that I really care much about the whole issue and you're probably Drog anyway, but are you suggesting that gay romances in Bioware games are actually OK precisely because they are generic, gratuitous and generally an afterthought on the developers' part, ergo they don't "hurt" straight gamers by leeching resources from other areas of the game? I kind of always thought those were the very reasons why any self-respecting gay gamer intelligent person would find DA particularly offensive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom