Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battleturd 3

Destroid

Arcane
Choppers are more fun, both to fly and to fight.

Jets in BF2 are virtually invulnerable and if your jetman is more skilled than the other, it's basically an autowin. A 64 player game decided by the skills of about 4 players. Terrible. The aircraft in BF2142 were pretty crappy, but then all the vehicles were pretty severely toned down in that title.

Codename Eagle > Battlefield series

sorry but there is just something about riding your motorcycle off of the wing of a biplane, onto an enemy zeppelin, while your teammate in the side-car drops dynamite, then after you drive off and open your parachutes you detonate the explosives and send the zeppelin and all aboard it crashing to earth. :[

imagine that game with a graphics/physics/map update.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, BF 1942 and Vietnam were fun for a while, I wonder how this one will turn out

Quilty

Magister
Looking forward to this. It's good to have an arcade alternative to ARMA2. Bad Company 2 is also fun every now and then, though I'm shit at it, so I usually resort to trollwork like shooting rpgs at guys in cover or reviving dudes under fire seven times in a row just so I can get those juicy, juicy points.

Destroid

Arcane
Never played the BC games. Seemed kinda pointless when the BF2 servers are still full of players.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tycn said:
Please tell us again about how Battlefield 2 is the same as Quake, Skyway.

You can't drive and shoot from tanks at the same time in Quake.

Oh no wait. You can now!

Codexlurker

Savant
Why are they making a modern themed game after making BC 1 and 2? They should do another WW2 themed game.

bert

Arcane
They should make one set in the 1700-1800's or make one set in space with capture points in space stations/asteroids/colonies with players hitching rides aboard fighters/transports/whatever and 'bases' being capital ships in orbit. :/

.Sigurd

Educated
More info:

Elsewhere, Kertz also confirmed that the game will feature friendly fire and bullet drop - though the game would use a different way of calculating bullet drop than in Bad Company 2. Tehran and Paris will also show up in Battlefield 3, and leaping into prone from mid-air - an act often called dolphin diving - won't be allowed.

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
-Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
-"lalalala" will be used often, so M rates for sure
-There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
-Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
-More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
-PC version is lead version
-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421095

.Sigurd

Educated
leaked scans:

DSCF1871.jpg

DSCF1870.jpg

DSCF1869.jpg

DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1867.jpg

"so, yeah. it can be seen in the GI magazine on one of the screenshots there's 31 rounds in the M4

so when you reload a weapon that isn't empty (tactical reload), it won't automatically reset to 30 rounds but it will keep one in the chamber

which also speaks to specific ammo counts in each magazine you carry, rather than the unrealistic pool of shared ammo that magically redistributes to all your mags

now people will have to pay a little bit of attention and tactically chose when to reload, instead of constantly reload as soon as a firefight is over even if they only shot two rounds"

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
.Sigurd said:
"so, yeah. it can be seen in the GI magazine on one of the screenshots there's 31 rounds in the M4

so when you reload a weapon that isn't empty (tactical reload), it won't automatically reset to 30 rounds but it will keep one in the chamber

which also speaks to specific ammo counts in each magazine you carry, rather than the unrealistic pool of shared ammo that magically redistributes to all your mags

now people will have to pay a little bit of attention and tactically chose when to reload, instead of constantly reload as soon as a firefight is over even if they only shot two rounds"

I thought it was already this way in BF1942 and BF2.

Tycn

Savant
They had magazines instead of an ammo pool but the chambered round didn't carry over. Not that I care about the inclusion of this feature.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I love the "power to the PC players" bit on one of the scans.

I must confess I haven't played any of the Battlefields since 1942, but that was pretty fun. I do like that, from what we've seen so far, DICE are playing up the stengths of the PC on the PC version, instead of scaling down the PC version to what the consoles can do.

.Sigurd said:
dolphin diving - won't be allowed.

So instead of starting off decent and then being patched to be shit like BF2 was, it's just gonna start shit?

Probably better this way, I guess.

MapMan

Arcane
Sceptic said:

I must confess I haven't played any of the Battlefields since 1942, but that was pretty fun. I do like that, from what we've seen so far, DICE are playing up the stengths of the PC on the PC version, instead of scaling down the PC version to what the consoles can do.

They're doing that because even though bf bc2 was consolized shit it has more players on PC than xbox360 and ps3 combined. This is truly shocking news. It prolly took them a whole research team to find out that people actually preffer FPS on PC than console. :roll:

Destroid

Arcane
MapMan said:
Sceptic said:

They're doing that because even though bf bc2 was consolized shit it has more players on PC than xbox360 and ps3 combined. This is truly shocking news. It prolly took them a whole research team to find out that people actually preffer FPS on PC than console. :roll:

This is the best videogaming news I have heard in like a year.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
SP campaign ala COD and no mod tools? Ill stick to bf2 and fprgotten hope

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom