Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Omnificent Role-playing System News

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p><span class="postbody">Kent Krumvieda from </span><a href="http://www.dreamborn.com/" target="_blank">www.dreamborn.com</a> wants you to know that <span class="postbody">The Omnificent Role-playing System &trade;(ORS&trade;) rule set is now available for download.</span></p>
<blockquote>
<p><span class="postbody">The Omnificent Role-playing System &trade;(ORS&trade;) rule set is now available for download. Currently only the ORS Standard Rules&trade; is up on the site, but as my web designer gets around to it all the 4 core books was be available for free to download.

So join the ORS&trade; community and help create the next generation role-playing game. ORS&trade; will only happen if the community at large make it happen. </span></p>
</blockquote>
<p><span class="postbody"><a href="http://www.dreamborn.com/ors_prod.html" target="_blank">Have a look at it.</a>
</span></p>

denizsi

Arcane
Gosh this entire thing is one big streaming pile of banal shit boring.

Inclusion of this "Terra 1597" as the default setting is unfortunate. I considered giving up reading while going through the mere four and a half pages of uninspiring herp-a-derp boring crap that explains the races and their origins. Banal boring shit stuff that he/they came up with after 27 years of role-playing (Acknowledgements, p2).

It doesnt seem to get any better. Entire system looks unnecessarily burdened and bloated with lots of exclusive modifiers that could have been simplified to eliminate the need for electronic assistance (the manual itself tells you that you need such) and it's not even like there are any fundamental nuances to be achieved here. It's crazy.

The three-way distribution of abilities (body, mind, soul) is also forced just to achieve symmetry. Quite petty. And gosh, look at that bloated skill list. I give up. It's one thing providing lots of mechanical source material for GM and players to have at their disposal should they ever need it but bloating a system with significant amount of insignificant details and number crunching just so the players can run an aped computer simulation is far from a general-purpose system. On the contrary, this is very specifically limiting.

27 years of roleplaying and still got no clue and dares attempt to create the "the next gen" PnP RPG. This is a terminal mutation of PnP role-playing, no different than Bioware/Bethesda aping fundamental RPG mechanics and calling it next-gen mainstreaming, except towards extreme opposite end. So, fuck this shit!

Michael_Wolf

Educated
Huh? I didn't know the RPG Codex posted PnP RPG News, too? And if you do now, why bring news about this game. From what I've seen so far the game's design and the artwork look like it's from the 80s. While I sometimes enjoy some old-school RPG I don't see anything special here.

There are quite a few interesting free PnP RPGs out there you could write about? So why this one, you looks rather meh? :/

Aikanaro

Liturgist
It's like it's really the 90s. I didn't realise that people actually still made and published straight-up fantasy heartbreakers. The world has moved on and it's been a long time since there was any need for someone to publish AD&D++ ... did they seriously just release this?

And, uh - why did you post about it?

Elzair

Cipher
Are there any good rulesets out there that are well adapted for a CRPG?

Alex

Arcane
I took a quick look at their book. It seems the game requires that you use one PDA or laptop per player. While the idea is interesting, I wonder how well executed it is.

denizsi said:
Entire system looks unnecessarily burdened and bloated with lots of exclusive modifiers that could have been simplified to eliminate the need for electronic assistance (the manual itself tells you that you need such) and it's not even like there are any fundamental nuances to be achieved here. It's crazy.

Could you elaborate? Are the modifiers just used to change probabilities, or can they change the stakes too? For example, will wet ground just give a -2 to fighting skills, or will it create a possibility for (for example) your character to slip? Because if the game allows for many such situations, changing the stakes for each possibility, I think it could end up a pretty cool game (depending, of course, in how well made the new stakes are).

denizsi said:
The three-way distribution of abilities (body, mind, soul) is also forced just to achieve symmetry. Quite petty. And gosh, look at that bloated skill list. I give up. It's one thing providing lots of mechanical source material for GM and players to have at their disposal should they ever need it but bloating a system with significant amount of insignificant details and number crunching just so the players can run an aped computer simulation is far from a general-purpose system. On the contrary, this is very specifically limiting.

Eh, I can kind of see the point of a huge skill list since the game is supposed to be played on computers. The system is supposed to be a learn by doing affair. If you have many skills and skill combinations, with each of those being more or less useful for different actions, then focusing on which skills to boost becomes a very important choice for the players. I don't know about the symmetry you mentioned (I would need more time to read the book), but why do you think it is bad design?

By the way, I do agree with you that the game shouldn't be made specifically for running on computers. I mean, I imagine most GMs would want, at least sometimes, to scale back the level of detail and this can be hard to do on a computer (I am assuming the GM gets to reprogram the system, this is even worse if that is not the case). However, this can be forgiven if the game is really good at what it does.

tehRPness

Educated
They don't really justify why the system just had to have those stats. From what I glimpsed, it seems it's a complicated system without nescessarily being a deep system.

dreamborn

Novice
Please read the ruleset with an open mind. If you feel strongly about something, suggest an alternative.

I am trying to design a game that models life, learning and behavior, but hides all the mechanics and allows the GM and players to create a consistent story/adventure. The type of adventure the ORS can handle is up to the GM. ORS is a flexible as the GM needs. I don't care if I make a dime. I am trying to create a system that allows players and GM to create ANY type of game that allows them virtually unlimited freedom to create and act within the GM's world. This, in my opinion, is only possible if you have a complex rules engine BUT those rules have to be handled quickly and consistently by the computer. How it handles the rules can be changed/modified by the GM, after all he is in control.

I am looking for people interested in helping finish this project. THEY can do it for a potential piece of the pie or they can do it for the love of it. In the end I don't care if I make a dime. Four years ago the ORS team started with 5 engineers of various persuasions, 1 mathematician, 1 psychologist, and an artist or two. Life has interfered, people have moved out of state and country, gotten married, had children, etc. No one to date, including myself has taken any percentage, or any money. I am looking for people who want to get involved. The 4 core rulebooks are uploaded now.

Kent Krumvieda
www.dreamborn.com

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you feel strongly about something, suggest an alternative.

Okay, GURPS.

Well, I'm sorry dude, but as a rule-set developer you can basically aspire to three things; fun, modularity or realism (or a combination). Any developer that go after the last two will need something close to a miracle (or thirty-odd years of hard work with different system iterations) to get even close to GURPS. You are listing lots of stuff (GM can play in every world, trying to emulate real life experiences) that makes me think you're going for the last two, and I'm sorry to say it, but GURPS does both far, far better than your system.

To aspire to the first one, a system has to be inspiring and offer interesting mechanics not available elsewhere.

I really don't see your system as either a) Surpassing or even competing with GURPS in the last two departments, or b) Being original and clean enough to be fun to play compared to other "less-than-GURPS" systems.

A commendable attempt, but overall, I don't see why I should choose your system and not another.

EDIT: Disregard my nice tone. Whoever developed this system has some fucking integrity-problems. Quote from the web-page:

ORS™ breaks the mold in most role-playing systems in eliminating predefined classes/professions,

"Breaks the mold?" :retarded: WTF. There are probably more RPG-systems without classes than with them. Call of Cthulhu, GURPS, WoD, just to name a few big ones. Breaks the mold, gimme a fucking break.

dreamborn

Novice
and I'm sorry to say it, but GURPS does both far, far better than your system.

Have you even read it? From your post I would hazard a guess that you haven't. But. still that is your opinion. Stay with GURPS, I am happy to hear that GURPS has a following in your area.

Kent[/quote]

Project: Eternity
Grunker said:
[
"Breaks the mold?" :retarded: WTF. There are probably more RPG-systems without classes than with them. Call of Cthulhu, GURPS, WoD, just to name a few big ones. Breaks the mold, gimme a fucking break.
First: Don't be a dick to someone who's releasing his hard work for free just because he says something you disagree with. The guy was nice enough to come here and discuss this with you, there's no reason we can't be civilized about it.
Oh, wait.
:rpgcodex:

Second: I don't know if World of Darkness games really count as "classless." The Clans/Traditions were sort of classes in and of themselves, but I don't know anything about New World of Darkness.

FinalSonicX

Novice
ORS Flaws

I've been reading through your rulebooks and I thought I'd provide some feedback and give you my thoughts.

1. The main problem is that the system is far too complicated. Normally, complicated things are good, but in this case it makes it highly inaccessible for a PnP game. For example, if I really wanted to get a group going under this system, teaching them the rules would take an eternity and it would probably take multiple sessions to actually get playing. In D&D, for instance, I can teach players as they play, and we can have new players gaming very quickly.

2. There are too many skills. The list of skills overwhelmed me, as it will other players. I can't help but wonder if it could be reduced? Is it really so necessary to explicitly state every conceivable skill?

3. One thing I do like is the magic system giving options as to how they want to cast (if I'm reading right). Someone merely channeling their will to create a spell will always create it faster than someone who has material components etc. This is a nice system if only because it helps describe simultaneous actions. I'm pursuing a similar system in my PnP system but one that effects all manner of casting conditions and attributes through choosing an arcane focus.

4. The developer's biases towards complex equations, graphs, and models of real life (adolescent development, wear and tear, entropy, etc.) is quite evident. Unfortunately, most of these serve to obstruct gameplay in my opinion. If a graph is not useful for either the GM or the players, then it should not be there. Formulas should be very simple and capable of being multiple times in the GM's head per time increment so that play can keep moving quickly and resolutions determined.

5. Your book gets way too caught up in the notion of simulating earth (but with magic/folklore). I don't need to see climate maps, the effects and remedies of constipation, nor an explanation of sexual prejudice. I don't need to see a language tree, and I certainly don't need to see an explanation of how characters need to pay taxes. While all of these things are useful for DMs wanting to understand historical precedent so they can react appropriately to player actions in their games, I feel like a lot of the DM's guide is more or less just reference for real-life without much truly useful information for running a game. It also seems to imply that Terra is the only setting that will work in this system, or at least an earth-like setting with some historical basis.

6. Your rulebooks need more tables and less graphs and things of that nature. Tables help players and DMs quickly understand information as well as compare rows of information to come to decisions about events, objects, people, etc. Your rulebooks read more like a research paper than a game.

7. I can see plain times when having an intuition, memory, or creativity derived stat could come in handy, though it seems to me that filling out the entire "block" of states is a bit unnecessary. It seems strange to have stats for things like morality and spirituality.

8. Character creation is confusing and a bit too complicated. In D&D or other more simple systems, a new player can create a character in one game session no problem, and advanced players can create them in hardly any time at all. This helps get the players going and get interested in the system, setting, and story. I'm not certain how long it will take to create a character in your system though it looks to be a long time.

9. Your game seems to require a laptop for the DM and PDAs for each player. This poses several problems. One, it prevents players without access to these resources from playing. Two, it takes some of the fun out of playing a PnP roleplaying game. After looking through your system I'm not certain if I could play the game without resorting to using your software, which is frustrating and prevents the longevity of the system (what happens after it falls out of maintenance and doesn't work with new operating systems? Is the system abandoned?). I like playing with a pencil and paper and dice, and maybe a mat with some miniatures or tokens. It's a lot of fun that way and it keeps things simple. Interacting with software isn't the same as interacting with a group of people, so I can't help but wonder if it will block the social element so critical to PnP RPGs. Also, rolling dice is fun and it adds some tension to the game. Reducing that down to a RNG is a little lame in my opinion.

I'm going to download and store all 3 of your rulebooks, but not for playing. I find them mostly useful for referencing the latin names of plants and animals, the costs of various random goods and services in pounds, and realistic rates of taxation for the time period :-p

I can tell you put a lot of work into the system and it's good for reference but I can't say that it's at all playable. I'd love to try out some indie systems with my group but the system is far too complicated and requires too many resources to handle properly.

I'm not certain what advice to give since it seems that the system is designed around many of the problems I find in it, so I wish you the best of luck in gaining a player base or at least in your future gaming experiences.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
malko_sundervere said:
Grunker said:
[
First: Don't be a dick to someone who's releasing his hard work for free just because he says something you disagree with. The guy was nice enough to come here and discuss this with you, there's no reason we can't be civilized about it.

Fuck you. The RPG claims to be original on a basis that's objectively untrue. Breaking the mold is doing something at least unconventional, and unconventional is not a fucking classless system. My local LARP has a classless system for christ sakes.

I love people releasing work for free. But this isn't for free, it's more like an open beta; they're planning on taking money for final release (also see the fucking TM's plastering the place up). If something will be released commercially, I'm going to give it full throttle on the criticism, if it deserves it. Even so, I actually called it a "commendable effort," since they do have some kind of community-sharing process.

So far, I've seen nothing of interest in it that I cannot get from another system. If I'm so wrong about this, please point out what fundamentals, in your system Dreamborn, I cannot get better elsewhere.

Alex

Arcane
Actually, Grunker does raise an interesting point, even if not with the best words. I think it would be interesting for you to mention how your design philosophy differs from GURPS. Does your system "fix" something about GURPS (in other words, do you have similar design goals to GURPS, but tried to do things differently)? I will try to get a good luck at your system later tomorrow, but I think things would go much smoother if you told us a little more about it.

By the way, be aware that this site is much more about computer games than real pen and paper RPGs. Maybe you will get worthwhile suggestions here, but it will be less likely than in a dedicated forum.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
malko_sundervere said:
The guy was nice enough to come here and discuss this with you
I'd like to see this discussion. You know, actually responding to the criticism that other members have kindly put into bullets.

Instead, all I see is "Boo hoo please keep an open mind, I haven't made any money and life has interfered with my team." In reply to a several paragraph post comparing the system to GURPS, he replies with "that is your opinion." Oh boy, what a discussion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom