Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Super duper illegal Oblivion video at Playfuls

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I know it's rather old news, but since they were nice enough to email me about it, <A href="http://www.playfuls.com">Playfuls</a> has posted a <b>120MB</b> version of the <a href="http://www.playfuls.com/gamespace_56_download_156_The_Elder_Scrolls_IV_Oblivion_E3_2005_trailer.html">I L L E G A L trailer</a> for <a href="http://www.bethsoft.com">Bethesda</a>'s soon to be released <a href="Http://www.elderscrolls.com">Elderscrolls IV: Oblivion</a>. In this video, you'll learn that the forests look cool, <b>Patrick Stewart</b> does some voice acting, <b>Todd Howard</b> sounds like he's 12 years old, and much, much more. Best of all, it's <b>I L L E G A L</b>! Well, the only ones who seem to care are the TES fanboys.
<br>
<br>
I personally got bored after the deer thing but it was neat seeing a model that looks like <b>Michael York</b> talk like <b>Patrick Stewart</b>.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Serban</b>!
<br>

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Why the hell do they care? Bethesda knows how easy things 'find' their way onto the internet these days. Hell, they probably expected or even hoped it would.

Jennifer

Liturgist
looks pretty neat. i just hope some of AI stuff was only there for the demo. if PCs are always doing wacky stuff like shooting fireballs at their dogs, that'd just be lame.

jiujitsu

Cipher
No it wouldn't. Dogs suck and deserve to be fireballed at all times.

Gwendo

Augur
I must confess I liked what I saw, and that the video raised my expectations about Oblivion. However, there are many things we are yet to see.

About the video, my only complain are NPC animations. Specially the way the walk. This is more obvious on the dog scene: just look the way he rotates and changes direction. Just like the woman.

Honestly, I think backgrounds are amazing, maybe because they are static (even when he picked up the mushrooms, you didn't see that, kust a text message saying you did it). The living beings, well, I guess those animations should be worked on, so taht they can be up par to the backgrounds.

I liked the final scene, à la Call of Duty. :)

A christmas release, heh?

Gwendo

Augur
Jennifer said:
looks pretty neat. i just hope some of AI stuff was only there for the demo. if PCs are always doing wacky stuff like shooting fireballs at their dogs, that'd just be lame.

Yeah, I mean, if all peasant read spellbooks, train archery and such things, that would be lame.

Since she's a bookshop owner, I can acept her reading those spellbooks. Training archery... Hummm... Ok, I can acept that. Training archery INSIDE the house? Wow, that's a little bit strange! And more strange is practicing at just a a meter/ few foots from the target: great practice!

And drinking a potion just for training? I don't know what are the prices for potions, but I guess we are not going to give us that luxury.

BTW, if we start in prision, why do we have armor and sword?!

Bah!

Micmu

Magister
I liked the dialogue attempt with two lines to pick:
"This store is a dump, no way, etc...", "Gladly!, etc..."
The first one brought you to: "I'm just kidding!" and nothing else, then you were brought to the same point as if you'd chosen the second line in the first place.
So, no choice here. Dialogue trees here just because some 80's llamas complained that a decent CRPG needs'em?
I know it's a demo but for a demo I'd put a Torment-like dialogue in. Or at least half of it. It's a show off of game's features, right? Maybe they were in a hurry making the demo or they're just being honest... :wink:
Magic reeks. It's an actionyRPG insta-kaboom casting, as predicted. All that is missing now is constantly regenerating mana...
Oh, btw, Todd is also a powergamer and a cheater - watch his stats and how he kills things with one blow. Not a nice thing to do for a demo footage. :D

jiujitsu

Cipher
Saw the video. This game is going to be fun. Like it or not.

They did a lot of reduction and changes for the demo (e.g. only two dialogue topics, nigh infinite health) so that they can show stuff off. Apparently, the RAI part is done fairly carefully. The woman was set so that her behavior would be predictable. I think the quote was something like "Can NPC's light their dogs on fire? Yes. Will it happen often? No".

Sarvis

Erudite
To me, combat looked like the least fun and interesting part of the game...

The forest looked fucking awesome though.

<b>MSFD:</b> If you read this thread: Will the forests be different each time you play the game? Load a save? Or were they generated once for the game and then saved?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I can't believe that Bethesda STILLl doesn't allow posting links to the video. A question "is there a limit to stupidity?" has just been answered:

IGN Videos
Today, 03:03 PM

Link Removed

You may not posts links to this.
See Pete's remarks in the Pinned thread at the top of the Forums.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=166830
Pete said:
It was intended to help educate store managers and employees at their annual meeting. We're aware fans want to see it too. We do plan to release it on the web as well as through other avenues.

We did not plan to release it now, nor will we move up our timeframe because someone ripped and posted it. It's not up for debate.

Don't post links to where to get the DVD or screenshots of it. This was not done with our permission. You guys should know we don't allow that sort of thing for articles, screenshots, or anything else.
After watching the video, how many people think it was "intended to help educate store managers and employees at their annual meeting"? No, seriously?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Morrowind with prettier looks and physics added.
Same shitty topic based dialogues and silly NPCs who won't mind you to hang around in their house while they sleep. Even Gothic had more advanced AI in this respect.
Kombat looks exactly the same dumb button bashing.
I can't imagine there would be any colorfull NPCs or quests that wont be tedious ''fetch me slippers*yawn*'' after watching boring cut scene ''oh wonderer, you must find your way bla bla'' and non exsistant interaction with NPCs apart from tossing dogs at them.

So, TES4 is the same touristic trip in the insanely beautifull but hollow world. Well, gathering mushrooms is fun, what else do we need..

Screaming_life

Liturgist
One thing i don't get are the use of dialogue skills... are the facial expressions basically telling you whether you'll succeed or not? :?

or is it telling me that jokes make people smile? :?

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Well, I'm certainly less skeptical to the game after having seen this vid. I'll be sure to give it a go when it is released.

Drakron

Arcane
I WILL buy Oblivion if it have facials or allow modders to add facials.

Tintin

Arbiter
I'm surprised no one has bitched about the fact the NPC's talking to each other just stared forward like robots.

And before you start cause I mentioned it - MrSmileyFaceDude said that it was fixed and they look more active when they are in a convo now. THEY DO LISTEN !!!

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Screaming_life said:
One thing i don't get are the use of dialogue skills... are the facial expressions basically telling you whether you'll succeed or not? :?
I could be wrong but I believe, depending on your speechcraft, you have are given an idea of what the person's reaction might be to a specific type of speech.

I don't like that aspect much on first glance, but I haven't played the game so who knows. I don't generally like haviing my hand held or being given more information than I should. Knowing that if I tell this sneering dude who is all up in my grill, for lack of a better phrase, a joke he'll back off and laugh his butt off is way too simplistic a take on dialogue to me.

Still if it ends up being dependent on stats and skills and not entirely accurate I'll be fine with it.

truekaiser

Scholar
Gwendo said:
Jennifer said:

Yeah, I mean, if all peasant read spellbooks, train archery and such things, that would be lame.

Since she's a bookshop owner, I can acept her reading those spellbooks. Training archery... Hummm... Ok, I can acept that. Training archery INSIDE the house? Wow, that's a little bit strange! And more strange is practicing at just a a meter/ few foots from the target: great practice!

And drinking a potion just for training? I don't know what are the prices for potions, but I guess we are not going to give us that luxury.

Bah!

do you get it?
it's completely pre scripted.

truekaiser said:
Gwendo said:
Jennifer said:

Bah!

do you get it?
it's completely pre scripted.
Tetragrammaton said:
They did a lot of reduction and changes for the demo (e.g. only two dialogue topics, nigh infinite health) so that they can show stuff off. Apparently, the RAI part is done fairly carefully. The woman was set so that her behavior would be predictable. I think the quote was something like "Can NPC's light their dogs on fire? Yes. Will it happen often? No".
Different from being pre-scripted.

Tintin

Arbiter
I could be wrong but I believe, depending on your speechcraft, you have are given an idea of what the person's reaction might be to a specific type of speech.

I don't like that aspect much on first glance, but I haven't played the game so who knows. I don't generally like haviing my hand held or being given more information than I should. Knowing that if I tell this sneering dude who is all up in my grill, for lack of a better phrase, a joke he'll back off and laugh his butt off is way too simplistic a take on dialogue to me.

Kathode = "Off the top of my head, two things that are very different from the video:

1) Enemy health indicator doesn't look anything like it did back then. More subtle now.

2) Persuasion interface - completely, totally overhauled since then.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know."

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Why the fuck didn't they just ust Patrick Stewart's face in the game. When he lets his beard grow out he looks more like a king then that long-haired slightly feminine looking homosexual they are currently using.

Screaming_life

Liturgist
Tintin said:

Kathode = "
"

so it looks different? or works different? maybe they added CLICK HERE indictators?! ;)

Tintin

Arbiter
Screaming_life said:
Tintin said:

Kathode = "
"

so it looks different? or works different? maybe they added CLICK HERE indictators?! ;)

I take it "completely, totally overhauled" means something more than minor cosmetic changes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom