Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Witcher Retrospective

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<p>Eurogamer <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-20-retrospective-the-witcher-article" target="_blank">takes a look back</a> at <strong>The Witcher</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>So do you lead the imperial unit to the rebel camp to rout them completely, or do you lead the rebels in a pre-emptive ambush on the imperial guards camped in the forest? I felt that as a Witcher I should remain impartial and not get involved in the politics, so I continued to go about my business, determined not to help either, although it seemed that neither would attack the other until I acted and both would be stuck in their respective camps for game-time eternity. Eventually I left the swamplands, willing to leave that particular branch of the story unresolved, such was my feeling for remaining true to the neutrality of the Witcher ethos.</p>
<p>But it did resolve. Despite what seems like a two-choice scenario, CD Projekt RED built in an invisible third choice: do nothing, as I had. This choice comes with its own outcomes and pretty storyboards further down the line, and you're chided for your neutrality; reminded that it has its own consequences. Had I created my own character, I likely would have chosen one side over the other, but with The Witcher I felt it was my duty not to choose, because that was what a Witcher would do.</p>
<p>The Witcher's legacy to me is that it encouraged me to play an actual role, rather than flesh out a cipher with a range of canned goods and evils. It illustrated that game developers needn't rely on reward or punishment to make us care about the choices we make: provide compelling narrative, not shiny trinkets, as the preeminent consequence of our decisions and that will be enough. We'll even forgive you the sex cards.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>I didn't know you could do nothing and this quest would still resolve. Cool.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16803">RPGWatch</a></p>

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Eurogamer cannot into redding *and* hearing? What imperial guards? There are *no* imperial guards in TW... These characters clearly identify themselves in words and are identified by names floating above their heads for all to read. :decline:

Baron

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I didn't know you could do nothing and this quest would still resolve. Cool.
A bustling city like Vizima doesn't stop and wait for one mercenary to come out of his drunken stupor, good on them for forcing a resolution. Perhaps you prefer the classic interpretation, "I'll do your Quest, sure why not? I'm True Neutral ...but I want an extra 50 gp."

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What's everyone's problem with the sex cards? :(

BelisariuS.F

Augur
from the comments said:
I haven't played Witcher, but the article does make ME2's colour coded morality system seem awfully simplistic. Come to think of it, there never were any neutral decisions in ME2 conversations.

This shows why you should cheer for TW2, even if you intend to hate it - it might show other developers that you can make a succesfull RPG with a more complex C&C than "choose between 'muahaha evil' and 'noble saviour of the universe'".

Vulee

Novice
Wow, just wow.
I wasn't aware TW was so old that it needs a retrospective.
Waiting for Mass Effect 2 retrospective next week... :M

BelisariuS.F said:
from the comments said:
I haven't played Witcher, but the article does make ME2's colour coded morality system seem awfully simplistic. Come to think of it, there never were any neutral decisions in ME2 conversations.

This shows why you should cheer for TW2, even if you intend to hate it - it might show other developers that you can make a succesfull RPG with a more complex C&C than "choose between 'muahaha evil' and 'noble saviour of the universe'".

Hey don't hate ME2. It had amazing choices for a shooter with branching dialogue lines :smug:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sounds like more over hyping of the shallow 'choice and consequence' the game provides.

BelisariuS.F said:
from the comments said:

Uh... except that is pretty much all the C&C Witcher 1 had: Will I support the Elves or the Humans?!?! To argue that the 'neutral' path adds any significant depth is laughable.

Black

Arcane
Metro said:
Uh... except that is pretty much all the C&C Witcher 1 had: Will I support the Elves or the Humans?!?! To argue that the 'neutral' path adds any significant depth is laughable.
Except that neither humans nor squirrels are "evil" or "good".

Vulee said:
Wow, just wow.
I wasn't aware TW was so old that it needs a retrospective.
Waiting for Mass Effect 2 retrospective next week... :M
That. :lol:
Anything you don't need to have antiquated hardware or its emulators to run was just fucking yesterday.

That said, how much of TW can the player stay neutral and have it shape the gameworld in ways that matter - especially, concerning main quest(s)?
Considering that we p. much never get neutrality in video games, maybe, I've given up on Twitcher too soon...

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Multiple Sarcasm said:
That said, how much of TW can the player stay neutral and have it shape the gameworld in ways that matter - especially, concerning main quest(s)?
Considering that we p. much never get neutrality in video games, maybe, I've given up on Twitcher too soon...

You can remain entirelly neutral in regards to the main Order/Nonhumans conflict, save a small skirmish in a bank. That is, you can attempt to remain neutral, but then one side will pick a fight with you for not supporting them. I believe various earlier decisions determine *which* side will attack you at that point. But, as I said, it's just a small skirmish, and you'll be able to remain entirelly neutral for the rest of the game.

kasmas

Educated
not a bad retrospective although i think it missed the major point of the game which is that a man with a sword can not change anything. Gerald gets a job done and get paid for it , at the end kingdom is still in turmoil , corruption and racism goes on , monsters still spawn ; at least the hero solved his personal vendetta and found love .

Black

Arcane
Ya, I know, just pointing out that even if you try to remain "neutral" is still has an effect.

Black said:
Storyfag said:
Entirely neutral isn't really correct because there are them sorceresses whores.

Sorceresses aren't a faction. Almost all sorceresses work alone and have their individual goals in Witcher world. So it would be more correct to say third faction consisted of Triss Merigold and Triss alone.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
turn_based_fanboy said:
Black said:
Storyfag said:
Entirely neutral isn't really correct because there are them sorceresses whores.

Sorceresses aren't a faction. Almost all sorceresses work alone and have their individual goals in Witcher world. So it would be more correct to say third faction consisted of Triss Merigold and Triss alone.

Except for Triss and Leuvaarden constantly mentioning a Lodge of Sorceresses, amirite? And not counting the sorceress that spoke with Triss through her mirror :smug:

Black

Arcane
turn_based_fanboy said:
Black said:
Storyfag said:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Lodge_of_Sorceresses

Seriously, telling pollacks what's in The Witcher.

DraQ

Arcane
Black said:
turn_based_fanboy said:
Black said:
Storyfag said:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Lodge_of_Sorceresses

Seriously, telling pollacks what's in The Witcher.
This. Fucking newfag too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom