Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tamriel Immersion Experience Released

1eyedking

Erudite
Modded or unmodded, Oblivion sucks dwarf cock.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Yeah, really, if we leave the RPG stuff aside, what other qualities does oblivion have?

* the worst voice acting ever (?)
* extremely uninteresting NPCs
* huge but empty world
* combat that could be fun if it wasn´t statbased at all
*uh..

besides, the graphix are soo last-gen.. so why bother..

it´s funny that talking trash about oblivion feels more giving than to actually play the game..

sabishii

Arbiter
Oblivion's combat is fun because it's nice and intuitive... but from the little I played it seemed like it had such a lack of depth that I can't say it is good. You either left click attack, right click block, or sidestep a fireball. I think Jade Empire had more depth in its combat.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Fuck. I stopped playing when I realized there were about 5 enemies per dungeon, all spread out, and not interacting with each other at all.

elander_

Arbiter
Yes, nothing to do with Ultima Underworld right?

And if you want to play a game with great sword fighting the play Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

Lingwe

Liturgist
If anyone is interested I have just finished polishing a turd. http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=14560

Added directions, made quest arrow toggleable (defaulted to off), added skill requirements with a difference to the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild, added faction reputation to the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild, added three quests that have at least two different endings, added responses from the Mages Guild, Fighters Guild and Dark Brotherhood addressing the Oblivion invasion.

Araanor

Liturgist
I have a totally fabulous suggestion: spend your time modding a good game instead.

PS: Sabishii: Swine.

Lingwe

Liturgist
I have a totally fabulous suggestion: spend your time modding a good game instead.

I paid good money for this game and I'm not going to stop until I have my money's worth. Modding has already provided months of entertainment as opposed to the short time I spent playing the game.

NiM82

Prophet
Sounds like a great mod Lingwe, just a pity it wasn't out when I played through. I don't think I cba replaying it unless someone replaces the entire campaign for one with a decent story with interesting characters/lore.

Gotta agree with you on the modding, I worked on a big mod (before deciding it wasn't worth the effort) and had more fun playing with the editor than I did playing. The TES:CK is the best thing about their recent games, very intuitive and well designed. Just a pity their dev's didn't bother taking advantage of it in the first place..

Texas Red

Whiner
Lingwe said:

I paid good money for this game and I'm not going to stop until I have my money's worth. Modding has already provided months of entertainment as opposed to the short time I spent playing the game.

If you have the skills and patience, why don't you rather try making a module for NWN 2? Seriously, Oblivion?

humorguy

Novice
I have no idea how you get to level 5 as a thief with the latest 1.43 version that has been "rearranged" to be suitable for mages and warriors as well!

My nephew tried it and couldn;t even get out of the first dungeon/cave system! He said it was worse than Daggerfall and Battlespire combined!

Luzur

Good Sir
micmu said:
Dear God, you guys are really running low on games.

hey man, not even a total over haul of the dialogue system would make me reinstall Oblivion again.

(but maybe if the made a total rework on the map though, adding those missing cities and land and put the lore back in....)

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Wasn't there this excellent mod floating in the net called "uninstall.exe"? LAWL

(Yes, I know, I know, it was cheap, overused, beaten-to-death-horse slogan. I... just... couldn't resist...)
:rpgcodex:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
On the more serious note. How you can even stomach this fucking repetitive and shallow main plot? Had it be replaced or fixed with ANYTHING else, I may have given it a second chance. Removal of level-scaling and some tweaks are just a drop taken away from the sea of retardoland.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
mikaelis said:
On the more serious note. How you can even stomach this fucking repetitive and shallow main plot? Had it be replaced or fixed with ANYTHING else, I may have given it a second chance. Removal of level-scaling and some tweaks are just a drop taken away from the sea of retardoland.

Who said you have to follow the main plot?

DraQ

Arcane
Well, the problem is that it's the case with about any plot. Sure you might just go on a crawl after crawl (if the loot, AI and combat get sort of fixed), or just click through any sort of dialogue or popups as fast as possible and then just obliviously follow the pizzaslice around, hoping the experience won't rot your brain, or maybe do the TG guild quests, then the Sanguine quest and then try to land a successful hit on Alessia Caro while she is travelling for her crimes against (fur/scale)kind, but other than that there is no fucking point to the game and little that can be done to avoid stupidity short of larping a monk constantly meditating on the peak of Dive Rock (to not run into any NPC who is inevitably going to be actively stupid).

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Well, the thing is with me, that I sort of rely on the main plot. You do side quests etc, but also have in mind that the most important part of the game is still waiting for you.

Except in the case of Oblibian it was not.

And come on, the side quests are just standard bring/kill etc. (aside from Brotherhood which I think was good at least in some cases - murder in the old house quest especially).

I am very forgiving about the main story. It can be cliche, shit, cheap and so on. Although I am old enough, I still can force myself to LARP through most of the shitty plots, if there are even small parts that captivate me.
But Oblibian is just a nightmare. Suffice to say, it is probably the only game I devoted more than 10 hours to, that made me feel like puking repetitively afterwards.
Not even DA, not NWN1, hell, even Pool of Radiance remake was better (though I admit I vomited a little into my mouth).

And I am even a bit of graphix whore, so I should fap to Oblibian graphic alone at the time of release. Still it was not enough to redeem it by notch.

EDIT::

Just noticed. Fucking gravediggers. Leave the corpses were they belong!! :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom