Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG quotes

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
"Why are you so slow, insect?" or something along those lines (SS2).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Lockkaliber said:
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it."

"What do you wish to hear? That I once believed in the code of the Jedi? That I felt the call of the Sith, that perhaps, once, I held the galaxy by its throat? That for every good work that I did, I brought equal harm upon the galaxy? That perhaps the greatest of the Sith Lords knew of evil, they learned from me?"

"When one relies on sight to perceive the world, it is like trying to stare at the galaxy through a crack in the door."

"Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you […] In times past and in times future, there are Jedi who will stop listening to the Force, those that will try to forget it, but maintain unconscious ties. And those, as in the past just as I, who have had the Force stripped from them. But no Jedi ever made the choice you did. To sever ties so completely, so utterly, that it leaves a wound in the Force. It was a mistake to try to make you feel it again, I see that now. There is no truth in the Force. But there is truth in you, Exile. And that is why I chose you."
"Enough. Step away from him."

It's quite possibly the best Star Wars sequence ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kep9mUEfxA

Coyote

Arcane
Damn. All the PST ones I can think of off the top of my head have been taken. Guess I'll have to focus on Bloodlines instead.

Monocause said:
It doesn't matter if you win or lose - it's if you bought it.

Fixed. Yeah, I liked how it worked on a meta level but made perfect sense in context (once you finished the game and learned what was in the sarcophagus, anyway).

Bloodlines has some that border on both awesome and retarded. For example, "I can tell that you and I are going to get along just like fire hoses." "Fire hoses?" "When we get turned on, there's bound to be flames." Which would make an incredibly cheesy pickup line in real life, but managed to work well with Jeanette's voice-acting.

Also Jeanette: "I'm the finger down your spine when all the lights are out. I'm the name on all the men's room walls. When I pout the whole world tries to make me smile. And everyone always wants to know. Who... is... that... girl?"

"You smell new... like fabric softener dew on freshly mowed astro turf."

Jack: "Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future."

"The Sabbat are worthless, man. Fake tits on a zombie worthless. Fun to watch though. Like the Three Stooges with chainsaws."

Damsel: "If I get my hands on her, I'll tie her eyelashes to her ass hair and bowl her ass into a trash compactor."

Grout: "Another unfortunate casualty to tide of time: insane asylums. I lament their loss, not only as brokerage houses for the breadth and depth of human psychosis, but also I shall mourn the disappearance of that peculiar environment present only in an insane asylum: that palpable atmosphere of blistered brains and churning bowels, the odiferous mélange of freely flowing bodily humours, that gently rolling cacophony of distant sobs and screams, the muttered cursing at perceived enemies and the blissful gurgling of the lobotomised, like a newborn babe discovering the sky. I shall still find test subjects as surely as I find bloody sustenance in the night, but this climate, I fear, shall never be replicated."

Old friend: "What's it like being a turtle?"
Malkavian: "It's like being a walking house that eats lettuce."

Newcaster to Malkavian: "Police don't have any suspects at this time, but they're pretty sure that it was you."

Malkavian: "You've made a powerful enemy today, sign."

Mitnick, a true Codexian: "Oh my god! Are you kidding me? What are you using for security down there, a Trash-80? Guys, it's called encryption. This is too easy. I'd let you off the hook, but stupidity always brings out the asshole in me."

Gary: "Forget it, boss, it's Chinatown."

I know there are more... Beckett and VV come to mind. Damn, now I need to replay Bloodlines.

Vaarna_Aarne

Bloodlines' dialogue was way more authentic than anything the GTA series could ever have hoped to produce.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bloodlines, to me, probably has the best voice acting of any game ever made and is one of the best ever in terms of 3D environments and visual style. It really brings the gothic atmosphere of the world of darkness to life.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
*snip*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kep9mUEfxA

My personal favorite:
"And that is what I sought to understand. How one could turn away from such power, give up the Force...and still live. But I see what happened now. It is because you were afraid."

Kreia had great voice acting too.

Zomg

Arbiter
"Do you want your possessions identified?"

"God was a dream of good government" - and I was like whoa cool quote I wonder who they are cribbing? no one they made it up for the video game

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd say Legacy of Kain series has better voice-acting though.

My favourite parts of Kreia's speech.

The part where she echoes what the Jedi masters say about you, but says what really happened to you.

"You will not harm him. You will not harm him ever again." (The delivery is what makes this line work so well, the way the voice actress emphasizes 'ever again')

"As you would pass judgment on him, I have come to pass judgment on you all. Do you wish to feel the teachings born of the Mandalorian Wars? Of all wars, of all tragedies that scream across the Galaxy? Let me show you - you who have forever seen the Galaxy through the Force. See it through the eyes of the Exile. How could you ever hope to know the threat you faced, when you have never walked the dark places of the Galaxy, faced war and death on such as scale? If you had traveled far enough, rather than waiting for the echo to reach you, perhaps you would have seen it for what it was."

EDIT: Yea, Deus Ex had absolutely fantastic intelligent lines here and there. It's a shame the voice actors didn't live up to the task most of the time.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
DraQ said:
Still, the best piece of VA ever is, IMO, not even from an RPG.

It's Fleet Intelligence voicework from HW1.

"Stand by for playback."
:salute:

Oh yes, that was truly incredible. Especially "not even beacons". Just the right amount of quiver in his voice.

Quigs

Magister
"And he cut the ram ... err, troll ... into pieces; and Moses burnt the head, and the pieces and the fat. Leviticus eight-nineteen and twenty."

Wild Slop

Arcane
I dont know what the exact quote is.
In Risen some of the copy paste throw away stock conversations:

Guy1: "Sky up above, earth down below, we're in the middle"

Guy2: "It doesn't make any sense"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
And you have brought others... castoffs... discarded souls, such as this priestess....

Your own blood condemned you. But it was only a small punishment, was it not? You had already discovered how thin the cloak of Kelemvor's faith was - it does not keep out the cold, not at all.
His punishment cast you out of his halls, sealed the door of your home to you - never again will you walk on the slopes of Mount Celestia, hear the chorus in the House of the Triad.
You are an angel left to walk the earth, with only her burning need for justice to keep her warm. A fairy tale with a bright beginning and a fiery end, I think.
But isn't this how such falls always begin?

Vaarna_Aarne

Anyone remember the speech where Gann tells bullshit about his birth? Or the one where he declares he's purpose in life?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Anyone remember the speech where Gann tells bullshit about his birth? Or the one where he declares he's purpose in life?

and this one - he is bound for my wall. As the Coven said, no?
Gann: If the wall remains there when death comes for me, I shall crack it from within.
Braver and stronger have tried, spawn of hags. Despite your ego, the universe does not bend to your whims... and it is I who set the rules long ago.
But you still do not believe in gods or faith, even as you look upon my corpse.
But I suppose to believe in ones such as me - to you, that is a death of a different sort... and no less painful than dying within my Wall of the Faithless.

This on?

SlowLane

Novice
Bloodlines, so, so many good lines, not forgetting the radio...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tma1dbi7ow

Great voice acting? Great lines? There is one short quote from Morrowind that has lived with me for almost a decade...

"How interesting. A tourist"

Probably the only part of Oblivion I enjoyed...

"I'm the only alchemist in Skingrad. Not much business here, but I can't go back to Morrowind. It's just like anywhere else in the Empire. By the way... do you happen to know what the fine is here in Cyrodiil for necrophilia? Just asking."

I remember a post on the TES forum, "They didn't mean necrophilia, my mom says it's a spelling mistake".

Vaarna_Aarne

Jaesun said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

and this one - he is bound for my wall. As the Coven said, no?
Gann: If the wall remains there when death comes for me, I shall crack it from within.
Braver and stronger have tried, spawn of hags. Despite your ego, the universe does not bend to your whims... and it is I who set the rules long ago.
But you still do not believe in gods or faith, even as you look upon my corpse.
But I suppose to believe in ones such as me - to you, that is a death of a different sort... and no less painful than dying within my Wall of the Faithless.

This on?
That one was good too, but I was talking about the one he gives you when you first ask him what he is, and the one where he says that loyalty to his companions is a good purpose for his life.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This thread is gay. Here's some "so bad it's good" BG1 shit (stolen from a similar thread on Bioforums) for it to get even gayer:

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

"Mellicamp the Chicken: Th... thank ye... (cluck). You have saved (cluck) me.
Protagonist:
1. Forsooth! Methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!
2. I fear I have taken one too many blows to the head! Next I'll be hearing hamsters speak!
3. A-a-a-ah!!! Unholy magics are afoot! This chicken is possessed! This bird is FOUL!!!"

"Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.
Protagonist: I'm afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I'm Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you'll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do?"

"Enna Hendrick: Shoo! Them aren't yer chickens! Erlin! Erlin, someone's after the chickens!
Protagonist: This is between us and the chickens, Ma'am, and I'm going to ask real nicely that you stay out of it."

Bioware at their best. :salute:

My favourite quote from (predictably) Torment:

"The sphere wrinkles in your hands, the skin of the sphere peeling away into tears and turning into a rain of bronze that encircles you. Each droplet, each fragment that enters you, you feel a new memory stirring, a lost love, a forgotten pain, an ache of loss - and with it, comes the great pressure of regret, regret of careless actions, the regret of suffering, regret of war, regret of death, and you feel your mind begin buckling from the pressure - so MUCH, all at once, so much damage done to others... so much so an entire FORTRESS may be built from such pain. And suddenly, through the torrent of regrets, you feel the first incarnation again. His hand, invisible and weightless, is upon your shoulder, steadying you. He doesn't speak, but with his touch, you suddenly remember your name. ...and it is such a simple thing, not at all what you thought it might be, and you feel yourself suddenly comforted. In knowing your name, your true name, you know that you have gained back perhaps the most important part of yourself. In knowing your name, you know yourself, and you know, now, there is very little you cannot do."

No fucking contest.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Vaarna_Aarne said:
The part where she echoes what the Jedi masters say about you, but says what really happened to you.

Fuck yes.

"You were deafened!"

"...At last, you could hear..."

"You were broken!"

"...You were whole..."

"You were blinded!"

"...And at last... you saw."

:love: :love: :love:

Quite possibly one of the best scenes in gaming history to me, too.

As for other quotes:

"JESUS K. REIST!"

Coyote

Arcane
Crooked Bee's quotes reminded me of this:

"Bar that!" The woman jabs her finger at you. "I've watched the Dustmen put the name o' me husband, damn his soul, me son and both me daughters on their Memorial, 'adventurers' all o' them! Why, I swung quite a sword *meself* in the day, so's I knows one when I meets one!" The old woman seems to be working herself into a fit; her face has become flushed and flecks of spittle fly from her lips as she howls at you.

"I'll bet ye've got all *sorts* o' barmy questions!" She mimics your heroic stance: "Greetin's, I have some questions...can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle o' Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do you know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?" She spits. "Dung, all o' it! Only gets ye in the Dead-Book! I ought ta kick ye in the shins fer even pesterin' a poor ol' woman about it all! Now go away an' leaves me in peace!"

On a somewhat relevant tangent, the first few lines Harbinger spoke to me were along the lines of "I know you feel this", "This hurts you", "You escaped us before, Shepard, not again”, etc. in my game, making him sound like Shepard's creepy stalker ex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom