Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm Looking Forward to Skyrim

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
i will orgasm to the great rimjob in the skyway

multiple times

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
denizsi said:
Duh, don't you know that he's hanging here only because he was banned at ESF?

In retrospect, the final straw that led to my banning was some idiot reporting my casually flirtatious sarcasm towards an underage member, whom I already had contact with outside ESF, as pedophilic sexual harassment. And the admins didn't care because they just wanted to boot me for good.

butthurt pedo detected

Well, Bethesda certainly hasn't dumbed down their games, one after the other, in succession...oh wait, yes they have. Well, I can certainly see why Crispy thinks this new iteration will suddenly change everything for the better.

:salute:

2574116800_8b3780b517.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Blackadder said:
Well, Bethesda certainly hasn't dumbed down their games, one after the other, in succession...oh wait, yes they have. Well, I can certainly see why Crispy thinks this new iteration will suddenly change everything for the better.

The addition of perks is a huge step forward.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Mastermind said:
Blackadder said:

The addition of perks is a huge step forward.

I'm actually going to defend Bethesda as much as I dislike it, but allowing OE to make Fallout: New Vegas and the fact they removed level-scaling Oblivion style in Fallout 3 SHOWS they are trying to make some kind of improvement in their mindset. I think the addition of perks is kinda blending the two game series together too much, but w/e. We need more information on Skyrim before deciding if it will truly be a shit pile or not.

Gord

Arcane
At least the magic system in Oblivion was better than in Morrowind...

And Fallout 3 > Oblivion, so maybe there's hope for Skyrim.

"But...Fallout 3 was so much better than Oblibion..."

fallout3xo9.jpg

Good luck with all that. You be sure to let me know how everything turns out.

*sound of Castle gates swinging shut*

DragoFireheart

Blackadder said:
"But...Fallout 3 was so much better than Oblibion..."

fallout3xo9.jpg

Good luck with all that. You be sure to let me know how everything turns out.

*sound of Castle gates swinging shut*

Don't be a doom and gloom emo fuck. Sure, Fallout 3 was shit but there were hints here and there that Bethesda is (slowly) improving from Oblivion days. Will Skyrim be something the codex praises? No. Will the codex bitch about stupid shit in the game? Most certainly. Will the codex at least think it's mediocre? I believe so.

Gord

Arcane
No, because it was actually playable without exploiting enchantment or alchemy.

DragoFireheart

DraQ said:
Gord said:
Only if you were a mouthbreathing retard.

Alchemy and Enchanting broke Morrowind to the point you could make (w/ Alchemy) millions of $ at the start of the game and make potions that gave you 1000 strength, while enchanting allowed you to create missile launchers of death. Cmon DraQ, I thought you were a quality poster. Getting owned by a newfag? Shame on you.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DraQ said:
Gord said:
Only if you were a monocled intellectual.

Fixed. The SYSTEM is better, period. Morrowind's spellcasting was bloody awful. Worst TES game in that regard.

Don't be a doom and gloom emo fuck. Sure, Fallout 3 was shit but there were hints here and there that Bethesda is (slowly) improving from Oblivion days. Will Skyrim be something the codex praises? No. Will the codex bitch about stupid shit in the game? Most certainly. Will the codex at least think it's mediocre? I believe so.

Says the man who, up until Dragon Age 2, thought Bioware was creating good CRPG's. As for doom and gloom...that is laughable. I enjoy what I enjoy. Why on earth should I give any credence to the possibility that one or two aspects may or may not be improved? The excrement may have real chocolate in it this time? Well, am I ever ready to wear the brown grin now!

While we are here, perhaps you could let me in on all those 'hints' that they were improving, apart from slightly easing the level scaling. I don't classify getting rid of a total game breaker (able to win the game at level 1) as improvement, merely something that should have been the case in the Alpha version.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
DragoFireheart said:
I think the addition of perks is kinda blending the two game series together too much, but w/e.

Not really. Perks are just special abilities that have been in RPGs since the dawn of time. Other than the unique (and retarded) name, Fallout is hardly revolutionary in this regard. It's about time TES expanded in this area too.

DragoFireheart

Blackadder said:

Says the man who, up until Dragon Age 2, thought Bioware was creating good CRPG's.

I never said they created GOOD RPGs up until DA2. The last good one was BG2. The rest were decent or meh, but nothing along the shityness of DA2.

As for doom and gloom...that is laughable. I enjoy what I enjoy. Why on earth should I give any credence to the possibility that one or two aspects may or may not be improved? The excrement may have real chocolate in it this time? Well, am I ever ready to wear the brown grin now!

While we are here, perhaps you could let me in on all those 'hints' that they were improving, apart from slightly easing the level scaling. I don't classify getting rid of a total game breaker (able to win the game at level 1) as improvement, merely something that should have been the case in the Alpha version.

- The addition of more dialog choices in Fallout 3 . Shill shit but better than Oblivions "Town topic, Rumor, random choice" dialog option.

- Improved dungeons. You could tell that Fallout 3 had more hand-crafted dungeons.

- The fact they even considered letting OE make Fallout: New Vegas shows they at least appreciate real RPGs to some degree to the point they would let another company work on it (one that consist of some of the original Fallout team).

I never said they created GOOD RPGs up until DA2. The last good one was BG2. The rest were decent or meh, but nothing along the shityness of DA2.

Very well.

Just for the record, I haven't enjoyed anything of Biowares after the BG series.

The addition of more dialog choices in Fallout 3 . Shill shit but better than Oblivions "Town topic, Rumor, random choice" dialog option.

Very minor, especially since Fallout was known for the dialogue system, while TES never has been.

Improved dungeons. You could tell that Fallout 3 had more hand-crafted dungeons.

Well, they finally did something others have been doing..including themselves..for years.

The fact they even considered letting OE make Fallout: New Vegas shows they at least appreciate real RPGs to some degree to the point they would let another company work on it (one that consist of some of the original Fallout team).

Well, are they giving Skyrim to Obsidian to do?

Gord

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Just for the record, I haven't enjoyed anything of Biowares after the BG series.

You deeply impress me with your highly refined tastes, dear sir!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Gord said:
Blackadder said:

You deeply impress me with your highly refined tastes, dear sir!

We don't call him the fine Gentleman from Cuntington Manor for no reason. :obviously:

DragoFireheart

Blackadder said:

Very well.

I don't blame you.

I'm going to "streamline" your post.

Very minor, especially since Fallout was known for the dialogue system, while TES never has been.

Well, they finally did something others have been doing..including themselves..for years.

Well, are they giving Skyrim to Obsidian to do?

They are using perks for Skyrim. I have a funny feeling they may be borrowing other elements from Fallout 3 for Skyrim.

They haven't truly hand-crafted their dungeons for years. That was more of a Morrowind feature: Daggerfall had randomly generated dungeons and I believe Arena did as well.

They are not giving skyrim to OE obviously, but just the fact they let another company work on a new franchise they bought seems like an interesting decision. That is akin to Nintendo letting Capcom develop a Zelda game (which they did).

Well, there it is.

We shall see what happens then, but I wouldn't give too much credence to those 'funny feelings' of yours; at least if you think it will be garbage, you won't be disappointed.

For myself, I couldn't really care less. I was never much of an Elder Scrolls fan to begin with, and doubt they would turn around enough for me to take notice in any case.

I hope it all turns out how you want it to.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
denizsi said:
This explains the "40+ and still a virgin" thing: he played and still is playing POS games his entire life.

I make it a point to rarely fight women, but you, madame, have gone too far.

To wit: Please inform me of these new computer roleplaying games you are currently playing that apparently keep you young and sexually virile. What's that? They don't exist?

Then kindly continue playing your own pieces of shit and stop being such an insufferable bitch.

Good day.

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ said:
Gord said:
Only if you were a mouthbreathing retard.
Gord said:
No, because it was actually playable without exploiting enchantment or alchemy.
I rest my case.
:smug:

DragoFireheart said:
Alchemy and Enchanting broke Morrowind to the point you could make (w/ Alchemy) millions of $ at the start of the game
Not fault of the system, but economy. Trivial to quick-fix by making custom potions have 0 sale value.

and make potions that gave you 1000 strength
Again, not fault of the magic system, but a logical consequence of the way stat system worked. Easy to quick-fix by allowing no alchemical component or potion augment luck or intelligence.

Other than that, Morrowind alchemy system has a lot of room for improvement but presenting the one from oblivious as better is just laughable:

-in oblivious you always succeed in preparing a potion, even if you are clueless about alchemy
-in oblivious you can identify ingredient properties and understand what your potion will do even if you're clueless about alchemy
-in oblivious only known effects make it into a potion, which happens to mean that grandmaster of alchemy might be unable to use certain recipe due to severe side effects, while a complete noob would be able to brew perfectly safe potions using the same recipe.

The only, and it's not a hyperbole, advantage oblivious system had over anything is that it allowed usable poisons.

while enchanting allowed you to create missile launchers of death.
Again, merely a product of how skill affected charges use and of no casting delay. Both could be precision fixed easily without touching anything else. Instead of this, oblivious castrated the system by completely removing freedom to enchant stuff in various ways, made CE enchantments common, and removed skill altogether.

Missile launchers of death - this time skill independent, in form of staves, as well as hilariously imba enchantments (>100% chameleon, or, to add insult to injury, >100% damage reflection using only premade items) remain.

Cmon DraQ, I thought you were a quality poster. Getting owned by a newfag? Shame on you.
Actually, I feel validated, with only morons disagreeing with me so far.
:smug:

Mastermind said:
The SYSTEM is better, period. Morrowind's spellcasting was bloody awful. Worst TES game in that regard.
Trololo.

In what way was it awful?

In that it required skill to succeed at casting spells?
In that it had 3s casting delay disallowing mindless fireball spam?
(I thought you frowned upon MG enchantments, so why would you want MG spellcasting?)
In that it required *gasp* free hands to use magic gestures?
In that it used far more diverse collection of effects?
In that it allowed to daisy-chain effects in a single spell making combinations of effects more worthwhile and not resulting spellbook clutter?
In that there wasn't miraculous "can't cast" - "can spam" transition at arbitrary levels?
In that it was visually more impressive and actually displaying each of the effects used in casting and projectile animations?
In that it allowed deletion of unwanted spells?
In that it allowed switching between adjacent spells without having them explicitly hotkeyed?

denizsi

Arcane
Crispy said:
denizsi said:
This explains the "40+ and still a virgin" thing: he played and still is playing POS games his entire life.

I make it a point to rarely fight women, but you, madame, have gone too far.

You are being gay and you don't even know it.

And that "argument" is invalid. The point was that you waste your life playing shit instead of scoring chicks. And then conspire over a slight affection some bitch you only saw once or twice may or may not be showing towards you (ok I don't remember the details of your drama).

Gord

Arcane
Now, I will freely admit that the Morrowind system did have aspects that were handled better, as some of your examples regarding alchemy showed (e.g. the strange handling of effects on ingredients).

Also I don't really mind that you could make a ton of money by alchemy, money anyway isn't an issue in Morrowind.
The stat exploits however are ridiculous (you even admit that they may have to be fixed, which is what happened in Oblivion).

DraQ said:
In what way was it awful?

You couldn't play a pure mage without relying on enchantments or spamming potions, for an instance.

In that it required skill to succeed at casting spells?
No, this isn't a bad thing, but I never said that MW system was complete and utter shit, now did I?

In that it had 3s casting delay disallowing mindless fireball spam?
Offset by spamming enchanted items instead...

In that it required *gasp* free hands to use magic gestures?
You can easily and quickly change between weapons by the press of a button, no issue either way.
In that it used far more diverse collection of effects?
It did have more, yes, but not necessarily all of them useful.

In that it allowed to daisy-chain effects in a single spell making combinations of effects more worthwhile and not resulting spellbook clutter?
Hm, maybe I don't get what you try to say here, but you could build spells with multiple effects in Oblivion, too.

In that there wasn't miraculous "can't cast" - "can spam" transition at arbitrary levels?
Again one thing were I admit that Oblivion's system is a bit stupid.

In that it was visually more impressive and actually displaying each of the effects used in casting and projectile animations?
Subjective/taste
In that it allowed deletion of unwanted spells?
Oblivion should have had this out of the box, but to quote you again: can be easily fixed (by a mod)
In that it allowed switching between adjacent spells without having them explicitly hotkeyed?
Only useful if you want to switch to the one adjacent.

Overall I simply found Oblivions system to work better, as you could play a mage relying on, well, magic without having to use huge amounts of potions, or rest-spamming.
Also it could compete with simply using an (enchanted) weapon, which was vastly superior in Morrowind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom