Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Choice and Combat in The Witcher II

Vibalist

Arcane
I must be a fucking moron, but I still don't get what was so terrible about combat in TW. Maybe I'm easily entertained, maybe I just enjoyed the animations or maybe I just don't mind in the slightest that things are simple and easy, but I enjoyed combat in TW1 and am kind of surprised that the consensus is that it sucked. I really, really didn't think it did at all.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Vibalist said:
I must be a fucking moron, but I still don't get what was so terrible about combat in TW. Maybe I'm easily entertained, maybe I just enjoyed the animations or maybe I just don't mind in the slightest that things are simple and easy, but I enjoyed combat in TW1 and am kind of surprised that the consensus is that it sucked. I really, really didn't think it did at all.
Because it was too hardcore. You know, you had to click with the mouse, when the icon flashed. It's too complex.

DraQ

Arcane
Vibalist said:
It wasn't terrible, but it was pretty simplistic and had little going for it barring animations and preparation phase. And ability to finish off everything and everyone when they were incapacitated (worked both ways) - it was pretty nice.

made

Arcane
Vibalist said:

Moran. It's fucking QTE! Don't you see? Like Dragon's Lair! I didn't realize it myself at first but skyway and the host of newfags have shown me the light.

catfood

AGAIN
Vibalist said:

I would have preffered a combat scheme similar to Gothic 1+2, one that allows you to make all the swings, combos, dodges and parries on your own, with more combos being unlocked as you gained experience. One thing that I appreciated about the combat in TWitcher was that it ended quick, otherwise the clicking minigame would have gotten really annoying.

Vibalist

Arcane
made said:
Vibalist said:

Moran. It's fucking QTE! Don't you see? Like Dragon's Lair! I didn't realize it myself at first but skyway and the host of newfags have shown me the light.

Well, yeah, it is QTE. But there's nothing wrong with that if it's still entertaining, is there?

Oh, you're being ironic. Nvm.

catfood said:
Vibalist said:

I would have preffered a combat scheme similar to Gothic 1+2, one that allows you to make all the swings, combos, dodges and parries on your own, with more combos being unlocked as you gained experience. One thing that I appreciated about the combat in TWitcher was that it ended quick, otherwise the clicking minigame would have gotten really annoying.

It's funny you use the term "clicking minigame", because I thought combat in TW was more than that. It was very simple, yes, and could've benefitted from being maybe a bit more complicated like in Gothic. But when you got to the point where you were using signs, bombs and oils, constantly switching stances, preparing potions before each fight and so on, the combat began to feel extensive enough for me.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The combat in The Witcher isn't that bad, it's just way too easy and simplistic. Most of the time you'll just end up clicking combos on one enemy after the other (or stun them with Aard to skip most of the clicking) since there's no real need to use any other tactic. Just having to use different signs and change stances a tad more often could've improved the overall feel of the combat.

I did like the idea of preparing for battle with potions and oils and what not but that too was rendered quite redundant by the easy difficulty.

Vibalist said:
But when you got to the point where you were using signs, bombs and oils, constantly switching stances, preparing potions before each fight and so on, the combat began to feel extensive enough for me.

But was there ever such a point in the game? It was all possible, sure, but hardly required.

Vibalist

Arcane
Gakkone said:
Vibalist said:
But when you got to the point where you were using signs, bombs and oils, constantly switching stances, preparing potions before each fight and so on, the combat began to feel extensive enough for me.

But was there ever such a point in the game? It was all possible, sure, but hardly required.

Well... I guess not. But I did have a pretty fun playthrough where I deliberately chose other signs just to switch things up a bit. It was still fun.

made

Arcane
Gakkone said:
The combat in The Witcher isn't that bad, it's just way too easy and simplistic. Most of the time you'll just end up clicking combos on one enemy after the other (or stun them with Aard to skip most of the clicking) since there's no real need to use any other tactic. Just having to use different signs and change stances a tad more often could've improved the overall feel of the combat.
Well, that's the thing: the tactical options wee there but whether you had to use them was up to your skill as a player. I didn't find it too easy at all initially, but I kinda suck at action gamesQTE! so what do I know. Died lots, was grateful for every weapon oil and potion. Only once I had skilled Geralt to not be stunned/knocked down anymore and got a hang of the audio cuesQTE! did it start feeling like godmode, especially with the groupstyle. So the actual issue wasn't with the combat system as such but with the difficulty - something very subjective. Keep in mind, we have people here complaining that TW was too easy and not involved enough who played the game on easy or normal (which is evident when they mention a glowing sword indicatorQTE! that wasn't there on hard).

DraQ

Arcane
TBH, I've always found criticism of Wtcher combat based on 'QTE' pretty retarded. 'QTE' was merely an input method chosen, not too different from *clickclickclick* used by Diablo or Divinity 2, save for penalty for losing sync. The only actual problem in any way related to timed clicking were lengthy animations that looked impressive, but sometimes deprived player of finer control.

The rest of valid criticisms, like little emphasis on positioning and tactics in general (switching styles was pretty much instinctive and added almost nothing to combat complexity as the styles had strictly delimited uses. Were they more situational, than "strong enemy, use strong style", they would be more interesting. As a matter of fact it's the fuzziness around the edges that actually made styles add something to the gameplay as latter in game, when you had high to-hit probability, you could save time by just cutting down singular fast enemies in one strong swipe.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Vibalist said:

The problem isn't the combat, in isolation, itself. The problem is that even for an ARPG there is a complete lack of variety in terms of abilities, spells, etc. It is arguably less involved than Torchlight's combat. You just go in swinging and react to an icon. The signs are largely useless other than the knockdown one which guarantees inta-kills on even the most challenging of enemies. Did anyone even use the other signs? Fire one? Maybe once or twice. The shield and that sanctuary on the ground crap? Never.

Coyote

Arcane
Igni was useful for getting past the annoying filler drowners if you increased its power enough. The talisman just made them run away, so you were still counted as being in combat by the game, but you could get it to kill drowners with one hit pretty early on if you got the talent that made it continue burning things after the initial hit, and I think it was an instakill if you raised it enough.

...Actually, if you didn't like the game's combat, maxing out Igni would be one of the best things you could do. It's insanely powerful at higher levels. And it's also very useful against the archespore, one of the most powerful enemies in the game for the time you encounter it.

FatCat

Educated
Seriously those who whine about TWitcher combat , have you tried hard difficulty,flash mod,FCR mod ?

Did you ?

You all would whine like little girl's if you tried FCR on hard that combat is way to complex and requires tactics and preparation.

made

Arcane
made said:
Keep in mind, we have people here complaining that TW was too easy and not involved enough who played the game on easy or normal (which is evident when they mention a glowing sword indicatorQTE! that wasn't there on hard).
Metro said:
The problem is that even for an ARPG there is a complete lack of variety in terms of abilities, spells, etc. It is arguably less involved than Torchlight's combat. You just go in swinging and react to an icon.
:/

What icon and sound cues?

Oh, everybody here played it on easy and normal? Now I get it...

I didn't find the combat to be too bad. But then again, I probably wouldn't have been too happy if I played it on easy mode either with those assists. Poor fellows.

Coyote

Arcane
Blackadder said:
What icon and sound cues?

Oh, everybody here played it on easy and normal? Now I get it...

I only played TW on hard, and I can assure you, there were still sound cues. You clicked whenever you heard the swish-swish sound that followed each attack sequence. Really, of all the things you can get all :obviously: about, this one's rather weak; the game made it pretty damn obvious when you should click even without the icon. It might have been slightly more difficult to transition from easy/normal to hard if you were used to the icon, but otherwise you should be able to figure out when to click by the end of the prologue.

Really, of all the things you can get all about, this one's rather weak; the game made it pretty damn obvious when you should click even without the icon. It might have been slightly more difficult to transition from easy/normal to hard if you were used to the icon, but otherwise you should be able to figure out when to click by the end of the prologue.

Must have pushed a button here.

I don't see where I said anything about how difficult the game was. It wasn't the hardest game I have played, nor was it the easiest. I did find it amusing reading about people finding it too easy while mentioning icons and sound cues in the same spiel. I never noticed the sound cues myself, and used timing the same as I did in Gothic 1 and 2.

Then people complained about how the combat system worked. Well, compare it to plenty of other games and it really isn't that bad. Different styles to choose from, various acrobatical maneuvers you can use, potions and spell types that work differently for different situations and enemies. Numerous times I had to flee when enemies came enmasse, or leap over their heads and take off for a breather, all the while with them in pursuit. Unless I take the best action RPG's out there, I don't really find the Witcher lacking.

If somebody wishes to use an example game or two and pitch it against the Witcher, I would love to read it.

Edit: An action rpg of course.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
As Blackadder has said, it was my experience too. Witcher combat was fucking fine and I fled on many an occasion to regroup and try to come up with a different approach. I also never had the need to try and 'break' the system by finding the overpowered attack and then spamming it all game. This type of thing is common in many games and I read a lot of hurr durr about how a game is shit because it can be completed by spamming one spell/move/tactic. Ok so it was a design oversight, get over it. Here's a thought: don't spam that move! Seriously all this idiotic herd mentality to prove 'edginess' and try and amass some 'KKK's' by raging on everything in every game is getting pretty fucking ridiculous. Even a year ago it wasn't this bad!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
commie said:
As Blackadder has said, it was my experience too. Witcher combat was fucking fine and I fled on many an occasion to regroup and try to come up with a different approach. I also never had the need to try and 'break' the system by finding the overpowered attack and then spamming it all game. This type of thing is common in many games and I read a lot of hurr durr about how a game is shit because it can be completed by spamming one spell/move/tactic. Ok so it was a design oversight, get over it. Here's a thought: don't spam that move! Seriously all this idiotic herd mentality to prove 'edginess' and try and amass some 'KKK's' by raging on everything in every game is getting pretty fucking ridiculous. Even a year ago it wasn't this bad!
:M :M :M The Biggest CDProjekt RED and Reality Pump fanboy around. :M :M :M

Vibalist

Arcane
Metro said:
Vibalist said:

The problem isn't the combat, in isolation, itself. The problem is that even for an ARPG there is a complete lack of variety in terms of abilities, spells, etc. It is arguably less involved than Torchlight's combat. You just go in swinging and react to an icon. The signs are largely useless other than the knockdown one which guarantees inta-kills on even the most challenging of enemies. Did anyone even use the other signs? Fire one? Maybe once or twice. The shield and that sanctuary on the ground crap? Never.

I used the other signs the last time I played Witcher, simply for variety sake. No, they may not be as useful as the Aard sign, but that doesn't render them useless. One allows you to mind control your enemies so that they fight with you, one lets you lay out a trap that is really useful for crippling stronger enemies before you engage them, and lastly the shield sign, which you call useless, is probably the most useful sign after the knockdown, for the simple fact that it allows you to drink potions in the middle of a fight. It saved my ass a few times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom