Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex's Gaming LCD/LED recommendation?

ortucis

Prophet
Well this IS gaming related so I am posting it here. Anyone has any recommendations for a good 21+ LED (prefer) monitor?

I have been using my 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF CRT (1280x1024 @ 85Hz) since 2004 and REALLY don't want to switch to a LCD but alas, the text is getting blurry and when using CAD/CAM apps I have been wishing for widescreen space more and more these days. I use apps like Photoshop, Max, UDK everyday and of course, play games.

So just out of curiosity, I remember reading a long time ago that LCD monitors were stuck on one resolution and it wasn't possible to change resolution in games when playing on one. Is that true? I also remember someone saying that if you don't play at native LCD res the games look blurry. I DID aquire this information back in 2005 so is it still true for new age LCD's?

On the plus side, they are cheap and I am aiming for 24" at least. 1080p :M

ortucis

Prophet
Destroid said:
On the down side, cheap LCDs are shitty.

Cheap compared to what I paid for my sexy CRT. Featurewise most monitors are better than my CRT (sort of.. but I really need widescreen space).

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Bad convergence or problem with focus? Try diagnose it with Nokia Monitor Test. Also you may always carefully play with "focus" potentiometer on FBT.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
speaking of that, what do people have to say about dual-display setups? I'm considering getting another monitor, because I'm finding that 22'' @ 1680x1050 isn't enough space.

ortucis

Prophet
Yeah I have run test apps before but I think 6 years (and still counting) is a good enough for CRT. Time to pull the plug.

@Lesifoere
The monitors I see out there support 1920x1080 res, why is yours 1680x1050 ? (is that old model or happens with all 22"?).

As for dual setup. I had one with 2 CRTs (19" and 17") before and it's pretty awesome. You can place windows by dragging and dropping easily in any window and it works fine on Windows with nVidia at least. If you run out of space while working, then go for it.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
it's the native res of older 22'' monitors, I guess

but truth be told I don't want more resolution, I want more workspace so I'll probably buy another one that's identical; should be cheap-ass now. glad to hear it is painless.

ortucis

Prophet
Luckily I am upgrading when LED monitors are common since from what I have learned so far, LCD monitors (which aren't LED lit) start fading out visuals after 2-3 years, which isn't a problem with LED models.

Busy reading reviews since morning. :P

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Lesifoere said:
it's the native res of older 22'' monitors, I guess

but truth be told I don't want more resolution, I want more workspace so I'll probably buy another one that's identical; should be cheap-ass now. glad to hear it is painless.

I'm using 2 24" screens and I can say that it is totally worth it, especially if you run lots of small applications, terminals etc, I don't think that I'll be able to return to a single monitor setup ever. It takes some time to get used to them tho.

ortucis

Prophet
So I guess everyone here is using CRT or LCD instead of LED displays then? I'd ask on Guru3D but they scare me with the expensive shit they quote over there (I mean buying a new display card every 6 months while we are playing games made for 2005 gen consoles is just.. creepy). :lol:

Destroid

Arcane
Generally speaking, as long as it isn't a TN panel it should be good, there are plenty of review sites around to check specific models.

EDIT: LED monitors are LCD monitors, they just have LED instead of CCFL backlighting. Generally speaking, an LED monitor should be better but more expensive.

shihonage said:
Both LCDs and LEDs destroy my eyes. When CRTs are completely phased out, I'll be screwed.

This is bizarre. Are you sure you simply didn't turn the brightness down? Most are set extremely high by default.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Destroid said:
shihonage said:
Both LCDs and LEDs destroy my eyes. When CRTs are completely phased out, I'll be screwed.

This is bizarre. Are you sure you simply didn't turn the brightness down? Most are set extremely high by default.

Trust me, this has been a battle for years. Brightness/contrast is not a fix. I am photosensitive and have dry eye syndrome, which was likely initially triggered by first-generation LCD monitors running at default brightness at my old job.

Since then, I've gone through multiple generations, brands and types of LCD/LED screens - returning them all.

I used to think CCFL refresh (they do have a "vibrating" refresh, different in concept from CRT "screen refresh") was the culprit. Yet LEDs are easier on the eyes but conceptually you're still staring at a lamp, and it still hurts.

The best I can arrive to is "tolerable", but none of them work past being a minute distraction. For example, I can only really code on a CRT - running at 100hz, preferably.

Not only I am stuck with CRT, but I am forced to wear moisture goggles when in front of a monitor, and all computers I frequently come in contact with use my custom Windows and browser skins which make everything, including the Internet, pretty much monochrome, and "light on dark" only.

Otherwise, I get problems.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Go E-IPS. Yeah yeah TN is faster and more suited for gaming etc. etc. Its all bullshit. I own the Dell 2311h and i haven't experienced any problems with speed. It seems now LG is producing LED versions of E-IPS panels, but only 22" (with a whopping 1920 x 1080 resolution, which is a bit ridiculous) and 24" (which are usually too expensive compared to what you gain from a 23").

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
ortucis said:
@Lesifoere
The monitors I see out there support 1920x1080 res, why is yours 1680x1050 ? (is that old model or happens with all 22"?).

1680 is better for a 22". 1920 is too fucking small.

genci88

Educated
Personally I like Asus. Great cross shipping warranty (on many models), plus they offer you aspect ratio options right in the OSD. When other people were struggling with 4:3 games being stretched to widescreen, I was enjoying them with no visual distortion on my Asus.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I bought a factory refurb NEC MultiSynch LCD 2490WUXi (24" 1920x1200). Just slightly under medical/professional grade quality display. No ghosting, very nice color and brightness homogeneity, great quality scaler (I made sure to check this, since I play a lot of older games).

I think it ran me a little over $500. Yes, I could've gotten a shittier one for a few hundred less, but I don't buy monitors often. In fact, this is the first monitor I've _ever_ purchased, figured I'd make it a good one.

It can also rotate 90 degrees for playing vertical arcade SHMUPs like raiden, or reading long documents, the viewing angel is great, no color distortion from anywhere, and it gives a good set of options for aspect ratios, scaling, etc.

ortucis

Prophet
Lyric Suite said:
ortucis said:
@Lesifoere

1680 is better for a 22". 1920 is too fucking small.

Yeah that's why I am looking for 24" monitors right now. Usually BenQ models are available.

I am now thinking that I should wait to upgrade till 2012 at least since good LED models are still a rarity unless I plan to go REALLY over rhe budget (looking for high contrast ratio).

Epic released DX11 Unreal 3 and DX11 cards are still pointlessly expensive. I think I will have to wait another year before prices come down for most cards and monitors. Fucking hate it how I am stuck with native res for gameplay on LCD unlike CRT where I can game on low res.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I'd say one of the best affordable LCDs was DELL 2209WA. I said was, because it was phased out last year, but had an IPS panel that produced better colour than your run of the mill TN panels with pretty good response time and decent interpolation to different resolutions, to boot.

Right now, I'd say if you could get DELL U2311H on the cheap (Lyric Suite's), that'd be the best all around LCD monitor. Not LED, probably they are still rather expensive and I haven't really seen mainstream brands that had LED + IPS models.

shihonage, does a plasma display have the same effect on your eyes?

Destroid

Arcane
That's a TN panel. If you are looking at that price range, get a smaller monitor that is actually good like the Dell Pegultagol suggested, a friend of mine has one and I use an older 20" Dell IPS monitor.

Although now that I look I can't find the 2209WA on their website anymore, there is the U2311H which is a 23" IPS 1080P monitor that is much cheaper than a good 24".

lol I should read more carefully. Anyway, I agree with Pegultagol.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Pegultagol said:
Not LED, probably they are still rather expensive and I haven't really seen mainstream brands that had LED + IPS models.

LG has released two LED IPS models (22" and 24" ,like i said before), but i have no idea how good they are. A friend wants to buy one so i'll get the chance to do some tests.

Arem

Scholar
Would somebody be so kind and enlighten me why should I choose a LED backlit LCD over a CCFL one?

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Arem said:
Would somebody be so kind and enlighten me why should I choose a LED backlit LCD over a CCFL one?

Lower power consumption, higher contrast, richer colours

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom