Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian in chart

Xor said:
It kind of ruins the joke if you take out the arrow pointing to Oblivion.

Actually it makes it more interesting. Although the graph needs Arena and DF and MS need to be in the Bad category.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Lumpy said:
A minor modification:
bethseda.png

:salute:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Black Bart Charley said:
Silellak said:
DriacKin said:
Let the butthurt ensue...
I don't get why there would be butthurt. Why do people let someone else's general opinion of a game bother them?

r u srs?
You like Alpha Turd. Alpha Turd is shit. Combat is shit. Balance is shit. Gfx is shit. Characters are retarded shit for children, might as well watch animu. Ergo you are shit.
Didn't you just say you haven't played it?

This is the key to understanding the Skyway method.

Because lemme tell you something, AP does have better combat than Deus Ex and just about any action RPG I can think of on the spot, and it's one of those few RPGs where you actually have even C&C of that degree and the PC can live up to his psych profile and go even further than that (I'd say Thorton is the most cunning video game character thus far, if you play the game like that).

Achilles

Arcane
I have no opinion on SOZ as I haven't played it. Personally, I would put TSL, N2 and AP in the "good for what it is" category and MOTB, New Vegas in the "Oh God its heavan" category.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Alexandros said:
, New Vegas in the "Oh God its heavan" category.

It really should have been in that place, if it was not in the shitty Fallout 3 engine however.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really, though, it's amazing NV is as good as it is considering how awful Oblivion and Fallout 3 were technically.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
Unacceptable statement:
New Vegas is just like Fallout 3.
:retarded:

And it's unacceptable because?

- same retarded mechanics with quest compass instead of gameplay
- stats don't mean shit, you are still the dude with a gun blowing shit up
- writing is just as retarded except instead of druids, knights and orcs we now have tribal-cowboys, ww2 vets and romans which are for some reason like barbarians in a setting that is still PA desert 200 years later

It's exactly the same game.

But let me guess - oh shit it's Obsidian - it's a totally different game, it doesn't matter that all my skills are just stupid repetitive minigames exactly like in Fallout 3

Vaarna_Aarne

Hurray, Skyway pulls stuff out of his ass again. Brings you back to when New Vegas wasn't even released yet.

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Silellak said:
Unacceptable statement:
New Vegas is just like Fallout 3.
:retarded:
It's exactly the same game.
We've had this discussion before, and I don't feel the need to rehash it all again - suffice it to say that you and I value different things in sandbox RPGs, and while New Vegas hasn't changed enough from FO3 in the aspects you value, it has changed significantly in the aspects I value.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Black Bart Charley said:
Silellak said:
DriacKin said:
Let the butthurt ensue...
I don't get why there would be butthurt. Why do people let someone else's general opinion of a game bother them?

r u srs?
You like Alpha Turd. Alpha Turd is shit. Combat is shit. Balance is shit. Gfx is shit. Characters are retarded shit for children, might as well watch animu. Ergo you are shit.
Didn't you just say you haven't played it?

This is the key to understanding the Skyway method.

Because lemme tell you something, AP does have better combat than Deus Ex and just about any action RPG I can think of on the spot, and it's one of those few RPGs where you actually have even C&C of that degree and the PC can live up to his psych profile and go even further than that (I'd say Thorton is the most cunning video game character thus far, if you play the game like that).

See how awesome that works. I am just illustrating my point, how "you are what you like". He should not care at all what I blabber about but by liking Alpha Turd and being shit, he cannot help it, even with aspergers, fundamental psychology at work. I even said that I never touched those games and he is still defending them because truth(tm). :lol:
I hear people with aspergers have problems discerning good laughs from bad laughs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit

I recently bought a pulse watch and it tells me that my average heartbeat while browsing the Dex is 85 :lol:

Exmit

Scholar
Where is Torment ? Alteast 60% of people from Black Isle are in Obsidian now, feautiring our glorious shining star MCA.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Hurray, Skyway pulls stuff out of his ass again. Brings you back to when New Vegas wasn't even released yet.

According to Vaarna Aarne New Vegas didn't have any of that stuff. He must have cummed to Obsidian logo on the box before even playing the game and that was enough to not even bother actually playing it.

Either that or my videocard hallucinated screenshots with Pagriarulo-grade stupid shit on them

Vulee

Novice
Exmit said:
Where is Torment ? Alteast 60% of people from Black Isle are in Obsidian now, feautiring our glorious shining star MCA.
It's waaay up, you can't see it. :smug:

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Seriously, where do you get this ridiculous idea that everyone who likes any Obsidian game is an Obsidian fanboy?

Here, let me break down my opinions of Obsidian games just so it's clear once and for all:

- KotoR 2: Writing, story, and characters better than KotoR1, but woefully incomplete, and shares KotoR's pretty-awful combat. 7.5/10
- NWN2 OC: Better than NWN1 OC and SoU, about on par with HotU. 7/10
- NWN2 MotB: My second-favorite Obsidian game. Really enjoyed the writing, story, characters, and quest design. Engine and combat still "meh". 8.5/10
- NWN2 SoZ: Never bothered to finish. Some fun gameplay ideas, but the overall game felt incomplete. Needed another 6-12 months work, I think - kind of like KotoR2. 5/10
- Alpha Protocol: Bland hybrid shooter that tries to combine stealth with gunplay and does a poor job of both. Some of the characters and writing are okay, and the way the narrative changes is well-done at times, but for me it never really came together to form a good game. I was never really drawn in by the story, either. 5.5/10
- New Vegas: My favorite Obsidian game, and likely my favorite RPG of the least 5 years besides Lazarus. A worthy successor to the previous Fallout games, with a better-written and more consistent setting than Fallout 2. Despite being the longest game I've played in quite some time, I never got bored. Writing, characters, setting, quest design, and factions are all very well done (to varying degrees). Suffers some from being built on a sub-par engine, but the combat was still improved from FO3. 9/10

Average score: 7.1/10

Well gee, skyway, you really got me there. 7.1/10! That's definitely drooling fanboy territory.

Vaarna_Aarne

MetalCraze said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

According to Vaarna Aarne New Vegas didn't have any of that stuff. He must have cummed to Obsidian logo on the box before even playing the game and that was enough to not even bother actually playing it.
Fine, have it your way. Rehash once more:

Quest Compass is not mandatory to use. However, when walking around with a ground level viewpoint, I can appreciate having a direction marker on the compass when jogging between locations. I can always switch it off when I'm in the actual location where I'm going to look for stuff. But that's aside the point, since too much talk of something as insignificant as a Quest Compass is inane. Instead, just look at the vastly improved armor and damage mechanics. I sure as hell like all the differences between ammunition and weaponry they put in, and how I do carry several weapons in order to have something for all occasions. Just like old times.

Stats do matter a lot more in New Vegas, with a considerable number of dialogue options based on them. But more importantly, skills matter even more. No more percentage bullshit in dialogue or anything like that, just a lot of skills being used all over the game, with hard minimum values. And in case of combat, just the amount of care it takes to take down even a few Deathclaws, or even a single weak one before you have access to high-end weapons and have skill to make the most of them, it takes is enough to counteract this.

If you'd actually read any discussion about the Legion, you'd know they're not barbarians but just a vastly different culture from a different location, and have a lot of interesting elements to them (such as their moral absolutism). There's nothing wrong with the Wild West motifs either, for they're neither overdone (like giving everyone frontier gibberish) or out of place in the new frontier of the Wasteland. But who the hell are the WW2 vets you're talking about? Boomers?

MetalCraze

Arcane
A worthy successor to the previous Fallout games

SPECIAL, the very heart of Fallout gameplay, is nothing but a name
Minigames instead of skillchecks
Quest compass instead of "use your brains to find what you need via exploring"

A very worthy successor indeed

with a better-written and more consistent setting than Fallout 2
Uh huh.

Retarded Tribals as in Fallout 2. Mafia as in Fallout 2. Oh but it has ancient romans added into the mix instead of China Town and NCR downgraded to WW2-era gear for some reason - I guess that makes the setting more consistent and better written

The setting is especially 'consistent' when you consider that it has been two fucking centuries since war and people still live in some PA shit.

At least in FO2 it looked like civilization is moving somewhere after the war despite the general silliness

Despite being the longest game I've played in quite some time, I never got bored.
Guess quest compass and radar showing enemies behind walls together with the same constantly repeating minigames made sure that you wouldn't

the combat was still improved from FO3.
The game got ironsights! That certainly improved a very RPG-y combat of pointing crosshair at an enemy and holding LMB

Well gee, skyway, you really got me there. 7.2/10! That's definitely drooling fanboy territory.

Oh cut it out. Calling this piece of shit a worthy successor to Fallout while bashing Fallout 3 which is exactly the same is a drooling fanboy territory

What's next? Obsidian - original devs of Fallout?

Where is the difference?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Quest Compass is not mandatory to use.
Considering that nobody gives you directions most of the time, you just magically know where to go itself when you look at it, it sure isn't.

However, when walking around with a ground level viewpoint, I can appreciate having a direction marker on the compass when jogging between locations.
In proper Fallout games you had much less view around you than with FP and somehow didn't get lost and now it's suddenly a problem?

I sure as hell like all the differences between ammunition and weaponry they put in, and how I do carry several weapons in order to have something for all occasions. Just like old times.
Except weapons act all the same here. You pick the one with more damage and start blowing brains out exactly like in generic shooter.

Are you sure you are not pretending that you have played original Fallout?

Because in original Fallouts when it comes to weapons it was nearly the same - you could easily make do with a single weapon for all occassions. Old times yeaaaaaahhh

Stats do matter a lot more in New Vegas, with a considerable number of dialogue options based on them.
A few additional text lines is the only things that stats add in dialogues.

Exactly like in Fallout 3.

You still play shitty stupid minigames no matter what numbers you have to help you pretend that your character makes the difference.

You still have exactly the same shooter combat and there are no critical failures of stat rolls because there aren't any

And in case of combat, just the amount of care it takes to take down even a few Deathclaws, or even a single weak one before you have access to high-end weapons and have skill to make the most of them, it takes is enough to counteract this.

Enemies having more HP to make them more challenging is a decades old trick used in action games.
You don't use skills to take them down, you just get a bigger gun.

If you'd actually read any discussion about the Legion, you'd know they're not barbarians but just a vastly different culture from a different location, and have a lot of interesting elements to them (such as their moral absolutism)
Oh don't give me this crap. They dress up as romans. They act like chaotic stupid.

When Bethesda was pulling the same flavour text crap with knights and orks in Fallout 3 you were singing a different song.

There's nothing wrong with the Wild West motifs either, for they're neither overdone (like giving everyone frontier gibberish) or out of place in the new frontier of the Wasteland.
Double standards much?
In case of romans I have to look at the writing but in case of cowboys which according to shitty lore are ex-tribals I have to ignore it?
How exactly did retarded tribals worshipping stone faces suddenly, out of the blue, become cowboys and how does it make any sense?

But who the hell are the WW2 vets you're talking about? Boomers?
NCR dresses up in something that looks quite like american WW2 stuff

DriacKin

Arbiter
Instead, just look at the vastly improved armor and damage mechanics.
Vastly improved? Seriously?

I sure as hell like all the differences between ammunition and weaponry they put in, and how I do carry several weapons in order to have something for all occasions. Just like old times.
Funny. I seem to recall doing perfectly fine by spamming the same weapons over and over again.

And in case of combat, just the amount of care it takes to take down even a few Deathclaws, or even a single weak one before you have access to high-end weapons and have skill to make the most of them, it takes is enough to counteract this.
I seriously hope you're not trying to insinuate that New Vegas was anything but an easy as shit game.

If you'd actually read any discussion about the Legion, you'd know they're not barbarians but just a vastly different culture from a different location, and have a lot of interesting elements to them
It's kinda funny how 99% of generic, cartoonishly evil villians come from this exact same 'vastly different culture'.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
ITT: I don't regret ignoring skyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom