Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion sacrificed what made Morrowind special: Todd H

Stella Brando

Arcane
Speaking to OXM in a hot-off-the-press, detail-saturated interview, Bethesda's Todd Howard has confessed that Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion "sacrificed" the feel of preceding title Morrowind in the interests of a "refined and welcoming" gameworld.

Reflecting on Morrowind, Howard observed: "It should feel alien, kind of 'stranger in a strange' land, with familiar looking elements only rooting you early in the game. The whole tone ends up being one of 'I'm an outsider, I'm uncomfortable'.

"With Oblivion, we're dealing with the capital province, and we wanted to get back to the more classic Arena and Daggerfall feel of a fantasy world that felt more refined and welcoming," he went on. "A place that you instantly understood.

"But in that, we sacrificed some of what made Morrowind special; the wonder of discovery."

The fifth game, Skyrim, will seek to plot a middle path between Morrowind-esque weirdness and Oblivion's straight-and-narrow aesthetic.

"With Skyrim, we're trying to bring some of that back and walk the line between Morrowind and Oblivion. Where it's at first familiar looking, but has its own unique culture and spin on it."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/26280/bethesda-oblivion-sacrificed-what-made-morrowind-special/

Micmu

Magister
Same bullshit all over again. Betshitsda really never changes.
"We sacrificed Daggerfall stuff for Morrowind and we're bringing it back in Oblivious, trust us, it'll be cool"

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
stalin_brando said:
"With Oblivion, we're dealing with the capital province, and we wanted to get back to the more classic Arena and Daggerfall feel of a fantasy world that felt more refined and welcoming," he went on. "A place that you instantly understood.
welcoming

I see. Arena and Daggerfall were indeed very welcoming games. I wouldn't put it past the average Oblivion fan to pick their mechanics and gameplay up just like they did in Oblivion. So you want to make Skyrim more complex than Daggerfall, like Morrowind instead. Yes. Of course.

"With Skyrim, we're trying to bring some of that back and walk the line between Morrowind and Oblivion. Where it's at first familiar looking, but has its own unique culture and spin on it."

And by unique culture and spin I presume you mean snow and ice?

Wyrmlord III

Formerly Hot Rod Todd Howard
Skyrim lost some of the magic of Oblivion, but it'll all be back in Summerisle dudes!

Summerisle will totally find that sweetspot between Skyrim and Oblivion. You'll be playing it and you'll be all ’Oh yeah, dude, you're hitting that spot!'

Trust me bros.

:thumbsup:

Johannes

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:

And by unique culture and spin I presume you mean snow and ice?
Snow and ice and DRAGONS

stalin_brando said:
Speaking to OXM in a hot-off-the-press, detail-saturated interview, Bethesda's Todd Howard has confessed that Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion "sacrificed" the feel of preceding title Morrowind in the interests of a "refined and welcoming" gameworld.

Reflecting on Morrowind, Howard observed: "It should feel alien, kind of 'stranger in a strange' land, with familiar looking elements only rooting you early in the game. The whole tone ends up being one of 'I'm an outsider, I'm uncomfortable'.

"But in that, we sacrificed some of what made Morrowind special; the wonder of discovery."

The fifth game, Skyrim, will seek to plot a middle path between Morrowind-esque weirdness and Oblivion's straight-and-narrow aesthetic.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/26280/bethesda-oblivion-sacrificed-what-made-morrowind-special/

Did the weTODD just pull a Rybicki Maneuver?
http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=37708

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's standard rhetoric technique at every PR department.

For a moment I though he is talking about role=play elements and had hopes of minimal incline but that was obviously too good to be true.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Andyman Messiah said:
Leave Todd Howard alone. He's a p. nice guy.

In his defense tho, at least he's not a complete faggot:

pvnfl.png

The romance part of Twilight gets a lot weirder when you remember that one of the first things Edwards reveals about himself is that he's like 90 years old, yet he falls in love at first sight with a 16 year old hick girl.

Then again, this fucked-upness is probably the reason the romances Gaider's involved with are the way they are

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
After the DA2 launch, Bethspeak doesn't sound as stupid anymore.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I'm willing to give Todd a pass on this one after all the :retarded: shit Bioware's been up to recently.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
treave said:
After the DA2 launch, Bethspeak doesn't sound as stupid anymore.

-Bethesda is at least consistent.

-They let OE make Fallout: New Vegas. That's incline IMO.

Regardless, I wait and see.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
The only thing that really seems far fetched is the radiant quest. If that doesn't sound too good to be true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom