Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Morrowinding Skyrim

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Blackadder said:
This is Bethesda admitting that their latest game was, in at least some ways, weaker then previous games.

Why silly me!

But....they did this when they were creating Fallout3; "Oh I know we did a few things wrong in Oblibion...."

Oh well. Better luck next time.

Confirmed SkyrimJob to be a failure?

Its different when you are specifically saying that a game previous was better then the later game. Almost without fail every developer will paint a picture that every newer game was better than the one previous. Go ask Bioware about how good their games were, I'm sure you will learn that BG was the worst game they have ever made and each succeeding game improved upon it. Its one thing to hear "Oblivion wasn't that great, buy the new game", another thing entirely to hear "Morrowind was much better than Oblivion, we realize we fucked up and are trying to make the new game more like Morrowind"

Why silly me!

But....they did this when they were creating Fallout3; "Oh I know we did a few things wrong in Oblibion...."

Oh well. Better luck next time.

With good reason. Fallout 3 WAS an improvement over Oblivion in almost every respect.

Confirmed SkyrimJob to be a failure?

Nothing is confirmed until opening night, but only a fool would forget what has gone before. Wait and see, and expect rubbish.

"Morrowind was much better than Oblivion, we realize we fucked up and are trying to make the new game more like Morrowind"

Please point out the source of this quote.

With good reason. Fallout 3 WAS an improvement over Oblivion in almost every respect.

Good for what it is? I await your answer to Jaesuns query.

Jaesun said:
Overweight Manatee said:

How so?

:hmmm:

- Game mechanics. I shouldn't have to explain why, but to be fair its mostly because Bethesda changed to an XP-based system.
- Quest design. Many alternate solutions that had different outcomes. Yes, Megaton was derp, but there were other much better examples.
- Game world. Its actually possible to get outgunned if you are going to distant areas early in FO3. Its not nearly as strong as in F:NV, but it was there. Meanwhile, Oblivion gave you teleportation to the 4 corners of the world as soon as you left the prison, because there was no variation in difficulty anywhere.
- NPC design. Yes, they have a lot of retarded writing, Oblivion's was just as bad. The fact is that there are almost no memorable NPCs in Oblivion, they may as well act as signboards with a '!' over them.

Pretty much everything in in FO3 was better, except for in terms of how badly they raped the lore of the previous games. Fallout 3 definitely has Oblivion beat there. But set aside all the hate for making the Fallout series a consolized turd, its definitely still better then Oblivion.

Blackadder said:
"Morrowind was much better than Oblivion, we realize we fucked up and are trying to make the new game more like Morrowind"

Please point out the source of this quote.

An exaggeration for the purpose of demonstration. This is how it works:

Codex: Morrowind was pretty decent, but Oblivion was shit
Bethesda: We are trying to make Skyrim more like Morrowind than Oblivion because some people said it was better.
Codex: ... fucking Bethesda

Its one thing to hate Bethesda for making bad games, but when they actually say that they are trying to make Skrim closer to the game the Codex liked 1000x more at least give them some credit. If it turns out to be an obvious lie later on, THEN tear them a new one. But since we haven't seen much if anything to tell if they are full of shit there is no reason to rage now.

DragoFireheart

Overweight Manatee said:
Jaesun said:
Overweight Manatee said:

How so?

:hmmm:

- Game mechanics. I shouldn't have to explain why, but to be fair its mostly because Bethesda changed to an XP-based system.
- Quest design. Many alternate solutions that had different outcomes. Yes, Megaton was derp, but there were other much better examples.
- Game world. Its actually possible to get outgunned if you are going to distant areas early in FO3. Its not nearly as strong as in F:NV, but it was there. Meanwhile, Oblivion gave you teleportation to the 4 corners of the world as soon as you left the prison, because there was no variation in difficulty anywhere.
- NPC design. Yes, they have a lot of retarded writing, Oblivion's was just as bad. The fact is that there are almost no memorable NPCs in Oblivion, they may as well act as signboards with a '!' over them.

Pretty much everything in in FO3 was better, except for in terms of how badly they raped the lore of the previous games. Fallout 3 definitely has Oblivion beat there. But set aside all the hate for making the Fallout series a consolized turd, its definitely still better then Oblivion.

Granted, Fallout 3 was shit, but at least it was Cow shit and not Dog shit. With Cow shit I can grow some plants: not gonna happen with dog shit. I agree with the points you made.

Bethesda is SLOWLY having an incline, unlike Biotards derpness. I wait and see if Bethesda gives us a god Elder Scrolls game.

SlowLane

Novice
Overweight Manatee said:
Its different when you are specifically saying that a game previous was better then the later game. Almost without fail every developer will paint a picture that every newer game was better than the one previous. Go ask Bioware about how good their games were, I'm sure you will learn that BG was the worst game they have ever made and each succeeding game improved upon it. Its one thing to hear "Oblivion wasn't that great, buy the new game", another thing entirely to hear "Morrowind was much better than Oblivion, we realize we fucked up and are trying to make the new game more like Morrowind"

I remember around the time of Oldbeatthemup an almost total absence of mention of anything Morrowindish. I had a feeling that they wished for a total series reboot, that TES should begin here. Now we come to Skyrim and almost every interview, almost every chance they get Morrowind is mentioned - the feeling of Mw, the diversity of Mw, some of the uniqueness of Mw. The trouble is, I cannot convince myself that this is anything more than platitude to calm the many old, and many new Mw fans that still inhabit the TES forum.

Todd wanted Mw to die, I can only guess the reasons, his baby was Obstillborne, his combat orientated classic, his proof that he could make a game. But Mw wouldn't die. Clunky, ugly, ridden with text as it is it still pulls in sales, even today it corrupts hardcore Obliviittes turning them from the blooming glory of its younger sibling, seducing them with the promise of a 'do anything' world and then sealing their fate by actually making good on the promise.

I returned to the TES forum while playing FoNV and I was astounded to see the level of Morrolove that still existed, a level amplified by the greatly reduced numbers of Obliviwhores since my previous visit. Faced with a regular, reliable, persistent fan base of Morrowinders, a fan base where even the Daggerfags are willing to rest arms to avoid another Obtravisty, I guess marketing and a degree of common sense determined the tactic of pacifying the crowd, at least until release.

Release, that does have me worried. No staggered release dates for Sky-don'tgetyourhopesup-rim, baring leaks it will be all or nothing.

A user named cat

Is it even possible for Skyrim to be worse than Oblivion? In what ways could it even decline? I'm somewhat looking forward to this, not to purchase but for something new to play and mess around in.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Overweight Manatee said:
but when they actually say that they are trying to make Skrim closer to the game the Codex liked 1000x more at least give them some credit. If it turns out to be an obvious lie later on, THEN tear them a new one. But since we haven't seen much if anything to tell if they are full of shit there is no reason to rage now.

Jebus H Christmas! They have repeatedly told lie after lie after lie. Are you seriously that fucking stupid?

So we have to wait for them to blatantly lie about 3 games (instead of 2) before being determined that all they talk about is lies and bullshit?

DragoFireheart

Jaesun said:
Jebus H Christmas! They have repeatedly told lie after lie after lie. Are you seriously that fucking stupid?

So we have to wait for them to blatantly lie about 3 games (instead of 2) before being determined that all they talk about is lies and bullshit?

Call it a fools hope.

Micmu

Magister
EStards are not learning animals.
Btw. where is that Frankie guy? His mega-enthusiasm before Oblivious was amusing and so was his meltdown at Codex after shit got released.

A user named cat

DragoFireheart said:
Please don't ask that question.
Well everyone likes to piss and moan about every upcoming game around here, so I'm sure they could find ways for it to be worse.

Jaesun said:
Overweight Manatee said:
but when they actually say that they are trying to make Skrim closer to the game the Codex liked 1000x more at least give them some credit. If it turns out to be an obvious lie later on, THEN tear them a new one. But since we haven't seen much if anything to tell if they are full of shit there is no reason to rage now.

So what COULD Bethesda say that wouldn't piss you off then? Does it even need to be said that if Bethesda is lying, then fuck them?

DragoFireheart

Phantasmal said:
DragoFireheart said:
Please don't ask that question.
Well everyone likes to piss and moan about every upcoming game around here, so I'm sure they could find ways for it to be worse.

But they don't piss and moan about ways to make it worse, they bitch about how it could be better. The codex DOES in fact want good games to play: it's not the codex's fault for having high standards.

DragoFireheart

Overweight Manatee said:
Jaesun said:
Overweight Manatee said:

So what COULD Bethesda say that wouldn't piss you off then?

That's not his point. His point is that they have been so deceptive that it's stupid and moronic to trust them further. It's not a matter of being pissed off but having that shadow of doubt about what they are lying about or what they are telling the truth about.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
Overweight Manatee said:

To be fair, if memory serves, their comments about Fallout 3 were more often just retarded than lies.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Xor said:
Jaesun said:
Overweight Manatee said:

To be fair, if memory serves, their comments about Fallout 3 were more often just retarded than lies.

You are actually correct. We had a thread here a few years ago completely documenting every lie Bethesda said about Oblivion. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any examples of Bethesda lying about Fallout 3. Other than it will be a great RPG. ;)

I'm sure someone could come up with them though....

The outright lies from Oblivion has put Bethesda permanently on my personal shit list,

DragoFireheart

Jaesun said:
You are actually correct. We had a thread here a few years ago completely documenting every lie Bethesda said about Oblivion. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any examples of Bethesda lying about Fallout 3. Other than it will be a great RPG. ;)

I'm sure someone could come up with them though....

The outright lies from Oblivion has put Bethesda permanently on my personal shit list,

What were some of the blatant lies?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Read VD's Oblivion review for a good summary. Or the "which Oblivion dev lied the most" thread. Neither of them list every lie.

micmu said:
Btw. where is that Frankie guy? His mega-enthusiasm before Oblivious was amusing and so was his meltdown at Codex after shit got released.

Enthusiasm? Way I remember it the last couple months leading up to Oblivion's release Frankie all but screamed warning that the game wasn't going to be anywhere near as good as the hype, that we should be ready for disappointment. I remember, because I was one of those still arguing against him at the time "But they said in an interview that Levitation was still in! Surely they wouldn't bullshit us *this* close to release!!"

SkepticsClaw

Potential Fire Hazard
It's a well known fact that Todd Howard is fucking scum and that every statment he makes has the all the merit of that guy who always tells a lie. Todd Howard will lie about everything, no matter how facile or pointless said lie is. Every positive statement made about Skyrim is bound to be completely false, because Bethesda could never make a positive decision and instead just make stupid ones and then lie about them. This is because they want to destroy all RPGs and turn them into consoletarded popamole shit with no stats and bloom.

DraQ

Arcane
SkepticsClaw said:
It's a well known fact that Todd Howard is fucking scum and that every statment he makes has the all the merit of that guy who always tells a lie. Todd Howard will lie about everything, no matter how facile or pointless said lie is. Every positive statement made about Skyrim is bound to be completely false, because Bethesda could never make a positive decision and instead just make stupid ones and then lie about them. This is because they want to destroy all RPGs and turn them into consoletarded popamole shit with no stats and bloom.
Scary thing is that before oblivious came out, your post would seem very reasonable, befitting the last sane man, in fact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom