Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do we know enough to determine if Skyrim will be a failure?

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
FatCat said:
Compared to Morrowind it will suck , compared to Oblivion it will probably be better.
Game will be fun with big modding community and high repplayabillity value , so far i plan to pre-order.

Wtf is the point of pre-ordering? It's like giving the retailer an indefinite 10 dollar loan.

Black

Arcane
According to my data, it's
[x] bethesda
[ ] not bethesda
So yeah, guilty until proven innocent.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sergiu64 said:
FatCat said:
Compared to Morrowind it will suck , compared to Oblivion it will probably be better.
Game will be fun with big modding community and high repplayabillity value , so far i plan to pre-order.

Wtf is the point of pre-ordering? It's like giving the retailer an indefinite 10 dollar loan.

In my case I'm shit with managing money so if there's a game I want to buy at launch, I pay for it when I have the money to make sure I don't end up like a homeless kid at the bakery window on Christmas eve when it does come out.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mastermind said:
Sergiu64 said:
FatCat said:

In my case I'm shit with managing money so if there's a game I want to buy at launch, I pay for it when I have the money to make sure I don't end up like a homeless kid at the bakery window on Christmas eve when it does come out.

Hmmm? I thought they only charge $10 at the start, the rest of the payment being charged when they ship it to you. If so you're still going to get hit with 80% of the price when you might not have the money for it. Except then its going to get withdrawn automatically which might be even more of a problem if you're broke at that point in time.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Solution: don't pre-order.

There is very little reason to pre-order a game. The good ones won't be sold out as they don't appeal to the shit masses and the shitty ones will sell out but you can just pirate those anyways, play it, then uninstall the piece of shit.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Until we have an actual, playable torrent being seeded, there's always a chance we'll be positively surprised.

It's a bit like lottery tickets. Yours might be worth millions. It's highly unlikely, but it might.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sergiu64 said:
Mastermind said:
Sergiu64 said:
FatCat said:

Hmmm? I thought they only charge $10 at the start, the rest of the payment being charged when they ship it to you. If so you're still going to get hit with 80% of the price when you might not have the money for it. Except then its going to get withdrawn automatically which might be even more of a problem if you're broke at that point in time.

You can opt to pay for the whole thing when you preorder. At least you can at an EB store which is where I usually preorder.

CorpusDei

Novice
I have a feeling that Skyrim is going to be better than Oblivion, but not quite as good as Morrowind. And it's certainly going to be better than DA:2, and most likely The Witcher 2, as well. Skyrim will be GOTY most likely, since I really doubt the Witcher is going to be better than Skyrim, and DA:2 is a piece of garbage.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Ulminati said:
Until we have an actual, playable torrent being seeded, there's always a chance we'll be positively surprised.

It's a bit like lottery tickets. Yours might be worth millions. It's highly unlikely, but it might.

It's more like monkeys with typewriters.

Them producing something of substance would require a collision of about a thousand correct decisions over the course of development, none of which can be deducted by any individual monkey's regular thinking process.

It would require a divine intervention.

Smiffy

Novice
Considering that Bethesda always made games as generic as possible (with the exception of the pretentious, artsy-fartsy Morrowind) and considering they have progressively and severely dumbed down whatever there was to dumb down in Oblivion and considering they have been put upon the hype-train ever since their dumbing-down made them sell gazillions of copies: yes, Skyrim will be a great game. A generic, dumbed-down, pretentious great game with just the right amount of artsy-fartsyness.
And all the fucking fuckers out there writing reviews will go "Ooh" and "Aah" and call it a milestone. Wanna bet?

piydek

Cipher
I do remember the incredible amount of deceiving and outright lying that Bethesda did prior to Oblivion's release. But for some reason, i believe they learned a couple of things from what made Oblivion so shitty. At least, I do believe they understand what they did with level-scaling. Unfortunately, they are determined to cater to the lowest common denominator and make the game manageable in its every part for any level of character. That says it's still going to be shit in this department. However, there might be slight improvements over Oblivion. Perhaps it will be a game that 5 gb's of mods will manage to make playable.

In general, especially in light of DA2, i start to agree more and more with assessment that Bethesda is equivalent to a retarded kid who tries, but just can't. Sure, there's deliberate dumbing down and appealing to masses, but it seems they still believe in something, as retarded as object of that belief is. Bioware on the other hand seems more and more like it actually fucking hates games.

I'll certainly try playing Skyrim one day when the most glaring problems are fixed by mods. Basically, my requirements are very low: make at least semi-interesting world with semi-authentic feel; don't force a stupid-ass utter shit main quest on me; make at least acceptable voice-acting that won't annoy the fucking shit out of me; make combat at least OK. That's about it...

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
easychord said:
My thoughts on the gameinformer videos.

Bethesda's influences: Darklands, Ultima Underworld. Reads Neogaf.
Bio's influences: Twilight Novels, God of War, Gears of War. Reads RPG codex.

Neogaf will enjoy Skyrim.

You forgot Buffy: The Vampire Slayer under Bio's influence. According to Gaider Joss Whedon is a writing god.

It's developed by Bethsheda so the safe thing to do is considering it crap until reviewed by some codexers.
That way you can only be suprised in plus :smug:

J_J_M

Educated
Todd Howard talks big in those videos, but then he goes on to put retarded things like level-scaling into his games. It nullifies all of his arguments. He has no intentions of making good cRPGs.

I watched the third video, and he said "after I beat Portal I put the controller down"... I almost closed the window right there. Portal on a console? Are you kidding me? I always knew this guy is a huge console tool. No wonder all his games have sucked since Morrowind. It's when the multi-platform crazyness started.

Rhalle

Magister
If it's as big and varied and visually stunning as Turdblivion (and has lots of specular-mapped horse anus), it will be great action-adventure open-world fun, and I anxiously await it.

My fear is that it might not be as big and varied, and it will try to be more Biowhore rail-ride story-driven, which will be disappointing.

SlowLane

Novice
I'm not so worried about variation when it comes to landscape and towns, I think they got that email. As for interiors it comes down to design and the available tile set, IIRC in OB cave corner #3 was a complete, indivisible unit complete with roof, wall, floor and features, it looked the same everywhere it was used and it was used everywhere - I'm to so hopeful this will have changed.

Size, well, the game area is said to be the same as Ob but with mountains obscuring your view it should feel bigger - the fact you are not constantly looking across the entire map a'la OB will also help give the feeling of more variation.

Perks my not be so bad, but to give the player 50 perks the player needs to gain 50 levels. This could be allowed for by increasing the game content (good) but has instead been implemented by increasing the speed of levelling (possibly not so good). As each perk is a known quantity, versus the large number of combinations of skills and abilities, I guess perks are easier to balance wrt combat.

It sounds like Magic has been revamped. Spell creation is out as of now so all spell effects are known quantities and hence easier to balance wrt combat. I'm guessing the power of a spell will depend on PC skill which again makes for a system which is easier to balance, level by level, wrt combat.

Enchantment is back as a skill, yay, but no details exist, boo. Guessing once more, the PC enchantment skill will do nothing more than determine the magnitude of effect when an enchanted item is used because this is easier to balance wrt combat.

Stat points: No details but it is strongly hinted that the only stats you can increase as you level are health, strength and mana pool. This makes perfect sense as these are the only 3 stats influencing combat :(

Apple inspired interface designed for people who think a 50" TV at 12' is bigger than a 24" monitor at 2' :retarded:

So, the game will be great if you're looking for a console interface on an open world combat simulator. If your ideal game does not fit this profile then I think fail is guaranteed.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Crispy said:
Interface-

• PC version has different menu

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/t ... -features/

So it may not be so bad.

They say that every time. In fact anyone that uses an inventory, and is developing cross platform, says that every time. Then it always comes down to a single difference: you can use the mouse to navigate through a system evidently designed to be used with a pad.

Of all the nagative elements got from playing some other platform's sloppy seconds, this has to be the most infuriating.

kasmas

Educated
I think it will be a fun little game that you have to take lightly just like turdlivion .Less skills no classes and FO3 level scaling doesn't sound good , also the shouts thing is ridiculous .

FatCat

Educated
Sergiu64 said:
FatCat said:

I don't know where you pre-order from , but the place i do pre-order is free and they take money on day of dispatch.Pre-ordering is usually cheaper than buying after release (unless you wait for few months) + bonus shit that many games include.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
FatCat said:
Sergiu64 said:
FatCat said:

I don't know where you pre-order from , but the place i do pre-order is free and they take money on day of dispatch.

He said loan, not gift. Thought it's not idefinite, it's repayed on release-date. It is interest-free though.

tennishero

Novice
*preorder*

day 1 buy

best game ever made

game of the year

best mods ever made

best graphics ever made

best AI in any game

MapMan

Arcane
Will npcs still get in your face when you try to talk to them?

From that feature list:
A new system "Radiant AI" has been developed for NPCs; NPCs react to the player's actions in new ways, such as fighting over possession of an item dropped by the player or attempting to return it to the player.

I can already see how it'll be implemented. You drop something, two npcs get in a retarded skirmish resulting in one of the being killed (along with 10 bystanders if one of the npcs happens to be a mage) while the other one runs up to you, gets in your face (aka starts a conversation) and hands you your item back. Obviously, this will have no effect on anything, everyone will carry on like nothing has ever happened.

The shop of a killed NPC may be inherited by another NPC, who may then offer the items/quests of the first but may not have the same disposition toward the player.

You kill an NPC, the next day you get a generic replacement with same voice acting and exactly same lines.

And so on, and so on...

hyttenhoof

Novice
CorpusDei said:
I have a feeling that Skyrim is going to be better than Oblivion, but not quite as good as Morrowind. And it's certainly going to be better than DA:2, and most likely The Witcher 2, as well. Skyrim will be GOTY most likely, since I really doubt the Witcher is going to be better than Skyrim, and DA:2 is a piece of garbage.

Either The Witcher isn't your taste AT ALL, or I have a really hard time seeing how skyrim will be better

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom