Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I WANT TO BE A DRAGON.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
What are some good RPGs where being a dragon, taming a dragon, or doing something with a dragon plays a large role in the story/combat/interface/etc.?

racofer

Thread Incliner
ejsi3d.jpg

hyttenhoof

Novice
DragoFireheart said:
What are some good RPGs where being a dragon, taming a dragon, or doing something with a dragon plays a large role in the story/combat/interface/etc.?

Not sure how you guys feel about it.. but fuck, I liked divinity 2 - The Dragon Knight Saga

And you KNOW that's not why you started this thread.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
hyttenhoof said:
DragoFireheart said:

Not sure how you guys feel about it.. but fuck, I liked divinity 2 - The Dragon Knight Saga

And you KNOW that's not why you started this thread.

Serious, I am curious about RPGs with dragons as the focus. The only series I can think of is Breath of Fire, but Capcom decided to let it die for some reason. Granted, it was a JRPG but it was fun in BoF3 to be able to splice genes together to get fucked up looking dragons.

hyttenhoof

Novice
DragoFireheart said:
Jaesun said:
hyttenhoof said:
Not sure how you guys feel about it.. but fuck, I liked divinity 2 - The Dragon Knight Saga.

We seem to like it quite a bit.

Well in any case I'll have to look into Divinity 2 (Diablo clone?)

Anymore?

Not a Diablo clone.

Divine Divinity, the first in the series, had some Diablo elements.

Divinity 2, not so much.

I can't really think of anything, but I'm terrible at remembering things on the spot.

Drakengard has you playing a dragon from time to time, It's not very good gameplay, But I found the soundtrack and story good as fuck, if anything, just cause of how hilariously grimdark it is. I hesitate to call it an RPG tho, even though that's what it's classified as.

DraQ

Arcane
Divinity 2 is sort of ascended Diablo clone - something that happens when you take an unashamed H&S and incline it so much that it becomes more of an RPG than most proper RPGs these days. Highly recommended, although Dragon parts are somewhat lackluster.

Ruskies made something called I of The Dragon once - it's a mediocre game all the way through and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but a scallie seriously starved of dragon games, but you play as a dragon in it and raw destructive power is something the devs just happened to nail spot-on.

There was this odd German game called Gorasul, where you play a guy raised by a dragon, but the common consensus seems to be that this game sucks.

M&M VII or VIII seems to allow dragons as party members, but I haven't realy played M&Ms, so I may be wrong and I can't comment on general quality of the whole experience.

Other than that, there is Drakan, but it isn't an RPG.

I don't count games like Wizardry series, where you can have demi-dragons of various sorts as protagonists/ party members.

P. S. I TOO WANT TO BE A DRAGON.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
M&M8 is the one that allows dragons in the party. Only played it a little bit so I never actually got one but they're supposedly pretty much god mode.

NWN shifter prestige class lets you turn into dragonlings as well as full blown dragons once you acquire the necessary feat.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
Well, since there's already been a mention of JRPGs here I guess I don't feel so bad to pop in with Bahamut Lagoon by Squaresoft on the SNES. It's mainly a strategy rpg, but it does have a decent focus on raising dragons (training, feeding, and the like) in it. Never finished it myself, but it sprung to mind right away.

Other than that, I do remember reading about a Dragonlance game called Dragonstrike. Sit on the back of a dragon and fly through the air fighting other guys on other dragons. First person perspective was certainly a brave choice (being made in 1990), but it supposedly has RPG elements in addition to being a Dragon knight simulation. Have yet to play it, but I'm not sure if it was good or anything.

DaveO

Erudite
In SSI's Eternal Dagger, you had to track down and take out the Great Dragon to retrieve a +5 Holy Morningstar along with other random goodies. The morningstar is your best weapon against the Necromancer on the first island.

In MM8, you can easily play the entire game solo as a Dragon to give an idea of how unbalanced they are.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
From what I remember... there is a dragon Hentai RPG where you play as a dragon with your own cave. You dig a dungeon, have monster to protect you, heroes to kill you, heroines to fuck. Jap, not translated.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Havoc said:
From what I remember... there is a dragon Hentai RPG where you play as a dragon with your own cave. You dig a dungeon, have monster to protect you, heroes to kill you, heroines to fuck. Jap, not translated.

Another good reason to learn Japanese. :lol:

As for other games, there is a rather nice -albeit very short- text-based browser role-playing game in which you play as a dragon. Unfortunately, I can not seem to recall the name, but I am sure that several people around here have played it as well.

Erebus

Arcane
In Dragon Lore I and II, your mission is to become a dragon rider. Haven't played the first one, but the second one is extremely sucky (except for the soundtrack).

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Kalin said:
Havoc said:

Another good reason to learn Japanese. :lol:

As for other games, there is a rather nice -albeit very short- text-based browser role-playing game in which you play as a dragon. Unfortunately, I can not seem to recall the name, but I am sure that several people around here have played it as well.

Choice of the Dragon, came to mind as soon as I read the post about the hentai RPG as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom