Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Eschalon: Book III Announced

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Blackadder said:
Elwro said:
@easychord, I'm pretty sure that was a joke.

What is the joke here?

He is correct.
The joke was that someone could really think $20 for a good game is expensive.

Luzur

Good Sir
Awor Szurkrarz said:
They should start selling games for 165$ to make it more elite.

in that case i want big box, thick manual, some coins or portals stones/medallions/iron helm and a hand drawn map on real skin to be included in my purchase.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Day 1 buy for me. Don't love these games but I liked them alot. Book 2 felt a little dissapointing but I still liked it.

For those thinking 20 bucks is expensive have you ever tried creating your own rpg? Its an unbelievable amount of work. I tried and just don't have the time. I would gladly pay 40 to 80 bucks for a true single player Indy rpg that would entertain me for 40 plus hours.

It costs me more than 20 to take my wife to a 2 hour movie

PorkaMorka

Arcane
If they continue to slightly increase the walking speed with each sequel I might be able to play more than 5 minutes of Eschalon Book IV or V.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blackadder said:
I thought he was going to do a Blob game at some point? He mentioned it a few times now.

IIRC he always planned for Eschalon to be a trilogy, and after the third game begin working on his next project.

FYI I also read he plans to release Eschalon's editing/development tools.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Luzur said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
They should start selling games for 165$ to make it more elite.

in that case i want big box, thick manual, some coins or portals stones/medallions/iron helm and a hand drawn map on real skin to be included in my purchase.
No, I meant something like a DVD box and a 90 page manual. If enough people here are ready to work so much for games, then they should do so everywhere.

Looking forward to Book III. What I always liked most about the Eschalon series is that it gives you a lot of freedom in how exactly you want to play within the existing rules. Locks on plot-critical doors can be picked, most sections of the main storyline can be skipped, the game doesn't generally assume you do things in specific order. I finished Book II with a character that never scored a single kill, but it's also possible to kill everyone, or (with pre-existing knowledge) make a speed run with a low-level character. It's the sort of game I don't play for tactical combat or superb story, but for sandbox-style fun with an old-school vibe.

Higher Game

Arcane
Old school RPGs were $50+ when they came out in the 90's. The few real RPG developers around today practically have an oligopoly. They could charge $100 and get away with it. Yes, there is piracy, but among those actually willing to pay, they could get away with it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The first one was shit - I didn't even bother to pirate the second one. Don't know why I'm even posting in this thread.

sheek

Arbiter
Awesome. I am halfway through Book II and enjoying it.

Any more news on what he'll do after the trilogy is completed? I read an interview which sounded quite promising, a new engine which would be made available to other developers though I don't think there was any setting in mind.

PorkaMorka said:
If they continue to slightly increase the walking speed with each sequel I might be able to play more than 5 minutes of Eschalon Book IV or V.
I found the speed in Book II was actually too fast. I think it depended on areas. True Book I was a quite slow but I can't see the problem in II. It takes 1 minute to cross a map and it's an RPG game not Sonic the Hedgehog.

Maybe you need a patch?

tindrli

Arcane
sheek said:
Awesome. I am halfway through Book II and enjoying it.

Any more news on what he'll do after the trilogy is completed? I read an interview which sounded quite promising, a new engine which would be made available to other developers though I don't think there was any setting in mind.

PorkaMorka said:
I found the speed in Book II was actually too fast. I think it depended on areas. True Book I was a quite slow but I can't see the problem in II. It takes 1 minute to cross a map and it's an RPG game not Sonic the Hedgehog.

Maybe you need a patch?

agreed

quasimodo

Augur
He is planning on releasing the tools with EB 3. He released a small expansion last Nov. you might have missed. Its is an extra dungeon to explore with a high level character.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Where's the link for the Bk II expansion then? Checked the website, couldnt find it.

Is it in the forums?

Edit: Crap NM, in the latest version of game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom